991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great write up, the finished product looks awesome.

It's still a shame they showed up in that condition. I used to deal with Spyder Auto from a retail standpoint and always had quality control issues.

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard
Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 PM
golfnutintib
Addict
Rennlist Member

op is awesome

i wish i were as handy and resourceful

hope another aftermarket source appears with a better made version of this product
Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM
twinturbowagon
User

@EMC2 Can you take some output photos of these Spyder headlights? Ideally find a large white wall where you can park your car 25ft away with the headlights projecting on the wall to show the beam pattern. Pictures of both low and high beams would be great.

I ask since most aftermarket headlights, although they can look "cool," the reality is the HID projectors and light output is a normally a huge step backwards. The OEM 997 HID headlights are great from the factory with their Denso ballasts and Koito bi-xenon projectors, there is little to improve on.

What are your thoughts on the performance/output of the headlights?

Evan
Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twinturbowagon View Post
@EMC2 Can you take some output photos of these Spyder headlights? Ideally find a large white wall where you can park your car 25ft away with the headlights projecting on the wall to show the beam pattern. Pictures of both low and high beams would be great.

I ask since most aftermarket headlights, although they can look "cool," the reality is the HID projectors and light output is a normally a huge step backwards. The OEM 997 HID headlights are great from the factory with their Denso ballasts and Koito bi-xenon projectors, there is little to improve on.

What are your thoughts on the performance/output of the headlights?

Evan

When I first installed them I actually put one side in first as an initial test. The projection on the garage (albeit only a few feet away) door looked similar in intensity and distribution between the two sides. The only real difference is the Spyder lights have a sharper cutoff line at the top, so I had to do some adjustments to the beam throw to get them right. Unfortunately I did not take pics of this.

I would really need to put an OEM housing back in one side to be able to show a meaningful comparison between the two. I can try and get a pic of the Spyder projection one night.

The Spyder's reuse the OEM ballast, motor and low beam bulb, but I have no idea what brand the projector lens is. I'd say that the lights perform vey close to OEM on low beam and on high beam. Just a real pity about the overall build quality and lack of quality control.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM
MoeMonney
User

Wow, Really great review. Considering these as an upgrade to my new GT Silver 997 Turbo.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
This is my next project (phase 2). Over winter I plan to make some further changes as I've also discovered that the headlight leveling does not work correctly. It tends to overshoot when trying to auto level.

It doesn't really affect your view as a driver, but a friend I was following one night recently , brought it to my attention. Upon further checking I realized the problem may be with the weighting of the internal lens assembly (either too light or weighted in the wrong place)

Still need more time to confirm exactly how to address.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Carlos Diaz
New User

Hi, Do you have images of the projectors and the bracketry when you opened the headlights?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM
cringely
User

Went to the Spyder website, but couldn't find any pricing info or links. What did these cost? Any additional costs for your installation?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM
EMC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlos Diaz
Hi, Do you have images of the projectors and the bracketry when you opened the headlights?
I don't have any immediately available, but I'll take a look over the weekend and see if I can find some.

Originally Posted by cringely
Went to the Spyder website, but couldn't find any pricing info or links. What did these cost? Any additional costs for your installation?
No additional costs if you're going to install them as-is (which I would not advise for reasons I've stated in the original thread).

If you're planning to fix the quality defects you'll at least need paint and a roll of the sealant as referenced in the thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: