Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy

Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Great write up, the finished product looks awesome.

It's still a shame they showed up in that condition. I used to deal with Spyder Auto from a retail standpoint and always had quality control issues.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

op is awesome

i wish i were as handy and resourceful

hope another aftermarket source appears with a better made version of this product
Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM
twinturbowagon
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

@EMC2 Can you take some output photos of these Spyder headlights? Ideally find a large white wall where you can park your car 25ft away with the headlights projecting on the wall to show the beam pattern. Pictures of both low and high beams would be great.

I ask since most aftermarket headlights, although they can look "cool," the reality is the HID projectors and light output is a normally a huge step backwards. The OEM 997 HID headlights are great from the factory with their Denso ballasts and Koito bi-xenon projectors, there is little to improve on.

What are your thoughts on the performance/output of the headlights?

Evan
Old 11-27-2016, 09:42 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by twinturbowagon
@EMC2 Can you take some output photos of these Spyder headlights? Ideally find a large white wall where you can park your car 25ft away with the headlights projecting on the wall to show the beam pattern. Pictures of both low and high beams would be great.

I ask since most aftermarket headlights, although they can look "cool," the reality is the HID projectors and light output is a normally a huge step backwards. The OEM 997 HID headlights are great from the factory with their Denso ballasts and Koito bi-xenon projectors, there is little to improve on.

What are your thoughts on the performance/output of the headlights?

Evan

When I first installed them I actually put one side in first as an initial test. The projection on the garage (albeit only a few feet away) door looked similar in intensity and distribution between the two sides. The only real difference is the Spyder lights have a sharper cutoff line at the top, so I had to do some adjustments to the beam throw to get them right. Unfortunately I did not take pics of this.

I would really need to put an OEM housing back in one side to be able to show a meaningful comparison between the two. I can try and get a pic of the Spyder projection one night.

The Spyder's reuse the OEM ballast, motor and low beam bulb, but I have no idea what brand the projector lens is. I'd say that the lights perform vey close to OEM on low beam and on high beam. Just a real pity about the overall build quality and lack of quality control.
The following users liked this post:
phizzak (10-22-2023)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, Really great review. Considering these as an upgrade to my new GT Silver 997 Turbo.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
This is my next project (phase 2). Over winter I plan to make some further changes as I've also discovered that the headlight leveling does not work correctly. It tends to overshoot when trying to auto level.

It doesn't really affect your view as a driver, but a friend I was following one night recently , brought it to my attention. Upon further checking I realized the problem may be with the weighting of the internal lens assembly (either too light or weighted in the wrong place)

Still need more time to confirm exactly how to address.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Carlos Diaz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Do you have images of the projectors and the bracketry when you opened the headlights?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Went to the Spyder website, but couldn't find any pricing info or links. What did these cost? Any additional costs for your installation?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carlos Diaz
Hi, Do you have images of the projectors and the bracketry when you opened the headlights?
I don't have any immediately available, but I'll take a look over the weekend and see if I can find some.

Originally Posted by cringely
Went to the Spyder website, but couldn't find any pricing info or links. What did these cost? Any additional costs for your installation?
No additional costs if you're going to install them as-is (which I would not advise for reasons I've stated in the original thread).

If you're planning to fix the quality defects you'll at least need paint and a roll of the sealant as referenced in the thread.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Shooter50
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow fantastic post, i would love to have the light on my 997, unfortunately i don't have your skills...
Old 09-15-2019, 03:53 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 896 Posts

It looks like I am late to this thread. I've found a few places online that sell these in two different configs, Xenon/HID or Halogen.

However, all the listings I have seen indicate they don't work with Leveling lights. My 08 997 C4S Cab has Bi Xenon with Leveling.

Anyone know if there is a version of these headlights available for the 997 with my light package. Would love to add the Ring.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:58 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

If you have the bi-xenon lights with DCL (dynamic cornering) I do not think you will find an aftermarket 991 style headlight to support that functionality.

The aftermarket lights like the ones reviewed in this thread do support vertical leveling on the 997.2 and I believe also on the 997.1, but not horizontal adjustment (dynamic cornering).
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
If you have the bi-xenon lights with DCL (dynamic cornering) I do not think you will find an aftermarket 991 style headlight to support that functionality.

The aftermarket lights like the ones reviewed in this thread do support vertical leveling on the 997.2 and I believe also on the 997.1, but not horizontal adjustment (dynamic cornering).
I’ll have to look into it. I would assume that “Leveling” means I have vertical leveling but not dynamic cornering. I don’t think that was present in 2008. I was surprised to see leveling mentioned on the window sticker.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad to have put the purchase of these on hold. I need a headlight since my right side one has a defect within the glass and would hate to spend $1200 and receive these headlights with quality defects.

At that price, one shouldn't have to take it apart and rebuild it correctly.

So I guess I'll just buy one new factory headlight.

Thanks.

Last edited by Steph1; 09-15-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Steph. You could also check out eBay. From time to time some like new parts will show up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Style Projector LED Headlights for 997 - Product Tear Down and Review - Pic Heavy