Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 c2s mods.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016 | 11:32 AM
tzr500rz
Track Day

Default 997 c2s mods.

Hi, everyone! I finally bought my first Porsche ( 2006 Carrera S with Factory X51 power kit). I love the car and has some really nice pickup! but just like most of us we want MORE....so, my question is with the x51 power kit are any other mods useless, such as upgrading the exhaust and throttle body etc. Found this line:

"So what is X51? Is it a good option for 997 buyers with a need for speed or the world's most expensive intake, exhaust, and remapped ECU? Before you think it's the latter, know that ticking the box marked X51 adds far more than a pair of new mufflers, a revised airbox, and different spark/ignition tuning. Revised cylinder heads, new exhaust headers, camshafts with more aggressive profiles, a different Varioram intake plenum, and new programming for the Bosch Motronic engine management are utilized to add more grunt to the normal Carrera S's 3.8-liter flat six. So the 26 horses and 11 lb-ft didn't come to Weissach so easily, after all."

I have been reading a lot on the forum and would like to know about exhausts, and intake mods. Is the GT3 throttle body any better than the x51 and can I get a better performing exhaust that retains/replace the exhaust valve. I like that its quiet at lower rpm and opens up on full throttle. I also looked into a SC but there is way to much controversy and with 97K on the clock I'm a little hesitant. I guess what I'm asking is do i leave it alone since it has the x51 power kit or can i improve on it.

Thanks John G
Old 09-30-2016 | 12:19 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

I would just leave it alone, there is no mods besides force induction (SC or TC) that will give you significant (noticeable) hp. C2S has enough hp for regular roads, unless you are racing new mustangs and camaro's in the quarter mile, I would be happy with what you have. Congrats on your new toy!
Old 09-30-2016 | 12:24 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

With the X51 you already have the GT3 TB.
Old 09-30-2016 | 12:37 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

You already have the best NA airbox, throttle body, intake and exhaust headers. The only real performance option for you is to open up the exhaust a bit with high flow 200 cell cats and a tune to match it. Muffler mods would be sound only but also worth it IMO.

To go higher you need to either rebuild the engine to 4.0L, or move to forced induction via turbo chargers or a supercharger. At this point the value for your money is just not there chasing performance alone. Sure if you blew your engine and needed to rebuild go for 4.0L. But tearing down your engine now just for the extra displacement is probably not money well spent. You will get more power for less dollars invested by selling and buying a turbo.

Instead I recommend looking at your suspension. Get yourself a DSC control box to replace the stock PASM control box along with a more aggressive alignment. Handling will noticeably improve. There is no other feeling like taking a corner aggressively on a car like this and punching it as you exit, accelerating out.
Old 09-30-2016 | 01:02 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Mostly what semicycler said. From the research I've done, on X51 there isn't anything much you can do for power besides helping the car to breathe more easily with headers/cats/exhaust.

As far as the 4.0L builds.. I've yet to see anything documented where an aftermarket 4.0L build made power commensurate with the cost. Guys are doing 4.0L builds and putting down maybe 300whp. I'd like to think it would be something for me to do later down the line but I have yet to see impressive numbers out of it.
Old 09-30-2016 | 02:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

^^^^The info is out there regarding 4.0's
Old 09-30-2016 | 02:36 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Absolute power corrupt absolutely.

You just want more. More will never be enough.
Old 09-30-2016 | 04:05 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

I would look at all the porsche tuners and see what mods they have for a power kit engine, and see what results they get. there may be some magic parts that get results, see if its worth it.
Old 09-30-2016 | 04:05 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Definitely start with high flow cats, maybe mufflers and an aftermarket tune.
Old 09-30-2016 | 06:52 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fined
Mostly what semicycler said. From the research I've done, on X51 there isn't anything much you can do for power besides helping the car to breathe more easily with headers/cats/exhaust.

As far as the 4.0L builds.. I've yet to see anything documented where an aftermarket 4.0L build made power commensurate with the cost. Guys are doing 4.0L builds and putting down maybe 300whp. I'd like to think it would be something for me to do later down the line but I have yet to see impressive numbers out of it.
Well a 4L was recently documented as 326 whp with cats etc and 350 with the x51 manifold

Only u can decide if its worth it. I personally wouldn't go down this road unless I had to (which I did)

But the truth is out there - trust no one!!
Old 10-02-2016 | 09:34 AM
trendy996
Banned

A set of high flow cats will be the best. Some may disagree but, a underdrive pulley would also benefit.
Old 10-10-2016 | 10:23 AM
tzr500rz
Track Day

Thanks everyone for responding! You guys are great. So...my first mod will be a Gen 2 GT# front bumper (OEM). Not realizing that i should have stayed with Gen 1 so that it would be more of a direct swap, but now i need all of the grill retainers, air scoops and most costly the DRL's. Anyways, I didn't realize the bumper I purchased has no holes for the headlight washers. My original C2S has a retainer built into it that holds the washer in place and is molded into the bumper behind the DRL's. Would like to know if this would be an easy mod so that i can use my washer. Does anyone have photos for the inside of the bumper where the washer mounts to?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 997 c2s mods.