Sponsored by:

Cars, Cameras, & 3D Printing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
If you don't have it already, there's an extension for Sketchup to export the files in the STL format. This basically replaces the surfaces of your 3D model with a plethora of connected triangles. All 3D printers can interpret an STL file and create part based off of it.
Sketchup already (and only) renders in polygons, no true curves. It can 'hide' them, but they are there.

Also, Sketchup files are typically created out of surfaces, they are not a solid.

You need to create the model so that it has a thickness and is closed (all vertices line up). Otherwise it is infinitely thin and therefore cannot be printed.

Additionally, if you've rendered curves those are a PITA to translate out of Sketchup into CAD. It took me hours to attempt to figure out automatic smoothing parameters, and eventually left it raw polygonal.

I've used one of those exporters, but I still needed to spend quite a bit of time to get the CAD software to recognize it as a solid rather than a collection of faces. Took forever. I wrote it down somewhere I think, may have lost it.

SketchUp is not really great if printing or STL is an end goal. It's doable, but there are better choices IMO. If you have any kind of curve I wouldn't use Sketchup.

It's worth noting that you should be wary if making small parts in Sketchup. Maybe they've fixed it in updates, but older versions of Sketchup had a built-in tolerance of ~1/32". As you approach those dimensions, the software would start tripping out (creating weird lines and shapes everywhere).

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-30-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got around to printing my own from the STLs MuffinMan graciously provided. Thanks! Feels real sturdy. "Cold" and rainy today in Miami so I wasn't too motivated to try a full test drive but I'm looking forward to running it with Harry's LapTimer next weekend at the PCA AX at Sebring.
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 132 Posts

This is awesome work.. I wish I had one to tinker with stuff.

For the folks that were talking about the need for a tow hook. Why can't you use the red line tow hook with the gopro mount they make.
www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=982
Old 01-30-2017, 02:34 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
This is awesome work.. I wish I had one to tinker with stuff.

For the folks that were talking about the need for a tow hook. Why can't you use the red line tow hook with the gopro mount they make.
www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=982
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13624618
Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

How strong is the, um, printout?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:08 AM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
How strong is the, um, printout?
The part feels pretty solid to me, and not any more pliable than the plastic parts that you get from GoPro. Certainly feels strong enough to keep the camera snugly attached at the front of the car. Gives me more peace of mind than having a suction cup attachment would. Not an engineer so these opinions are subjective and may be completely unfounded. The spec sheet of the material I used (VeroWhitePlus) is attached for those who know how to interpret it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The great thing about the GoPro style mount is there isn't a lot of force on any particular part. With the finger configuration, the two components are interlaced and the thumb screw holds them together without any specific fatigue from material bending. The main fatigue will be the weight of the camera on the 3 fingers from the mount, and they are relatively meaty. That being said, there is a huge variation in material properties across 3D printing materials, but the VeroWhitePlus that JCGMS is using is pretty stout. Just keep checking the fingers for any hairline cracks, and if there's any question, then just print another one. The threaded rod is solid and very thick, so the chances of that cracking are quite thin, in my opinion. Like I said, just keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: Cars, Cameras, & 3D Printing