Sponsored by:

Cars, Cameras, & 3D Printing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cars, Cameras, & 3D Printing

I put together a video that goes through the process of designing and 3D printing a GoPro mount for the front tow hook receptacle on a 997. If you are curious how 3D printing works or want to see some video clips from that mounting location, give it a whirl.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:53 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Cool. OK, first obvious question. How much? I see you're in NJ as well. Would love to get one.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I created the video to share what I've learned about camera placement (multiple views are ideal, but add complexity) and I felt insight into the design and development process may be interesting to Rennlisters. That being said, if you have a 3D Printer or have access to one, I'm happy to share the 3D files with you at no cost. Let me know either way and I'll help you out.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately i don't have a 3d Printer. I did have a few fairly large positions in some 3d stocks, Voxeljet, 3D Systems and Organovo. Made a very big profit in a short period of time and got out before the crash. I thought 3D was going to be the next huge thing. I think it still may be too early. Anyway I have no access to one either. If you're selling these I'd be interested in one.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:38 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

The hype was all about bringing 3D printing into the home, but the content side wasn't (isn't) ready. Nobody knew what to do with the things after they got them home, besides print out a bunch of trinkets. You can see evidence with companies like Makerbot (who sold at their absolute peak) refocusing on educators rather than consumers.

PM or email me your address and I'll send you a mount next time I run the machine.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic video! I have been fascinated by 3D printing (and Porsches) for a very long time. Is there any interface possibilities with sketchup? I have used that in the past to make templates for parts. Again, great video and thanks for making Rennlist an even better place!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

I would buy one

please take my money
Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 158 Posts

This is terrific. One of the issues with the popular Rennline tow hook GoPro attachment is that it is 15 deg off to the right just as you mention in the video.

Most DE and track groups require the installation of the front tow hook while in session and your solution doesn't account for this (at least not the one in the video).

Can you modify the 'sleeve' with the camera mount to slide over the Rennline and/or OEM tow hooks so a tow hook can still be used and we can remain compliant to our track group regulations?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
This is terrific. One of the issues with the popular Rennline tow hook GoPro attachment is that it is 15 deg off to the right just as you mention in the video.

Most DE and track groups require the installation of the front tow hook while in session and your solution doesn't account for this (at least not the one in the video).

Can you modify the 'sleeve' with the camera mount to slide over the Rennline and/or OEM tow hooks so a tow hook can still be used and we can remain compliant to our track group regulations?

that would be a great idea

I do not think a 3d printed hook would hold up to towing
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

My original plan was to use the factory tow hook as the securing means for the sleeve, but it doesn't have any straight flats, "stops" or other geometry that could be used to butt up against the sleeve. I decided it was easier to recreate that piece with the geometry I needed at the end rather than work with the organic curve of the tow hook loop. That being said, I'll take another look and see if there's a piece I can create that will fit securely against the tow hook's loop, and have a flat "stop" for the sleeve. Basically, it would be a 3 piece system.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Fantastic video! I have been fascinated by 3D printing (and Porsches) for a very long time. Is there any interface possibilities with sketchup? I have used that in the past to make templates for parts. Again, great video and thanks for making Rennlist an even better place!
If you don't have it already, there's an extension for Sketchup to export the files in the STL format. This basically replaces the surfaces of your 3D model with a plethora of connected triangles. All 3D printers can interpret an STL file and create part based off of it.

Tinkercad is another free CAD package that is very easy to use, and is arguably targeted at non-engineers. Lots of schools use this package in their curriculum, and most kids 6+ can handle it with supervision.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:15 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
My original plan was to use the factory tow hook as the securing means for the sleeve, but it doesn't have any straight flats, "stops" or other geometry that could be used to butt up against the sleeve. I decided it was easier to recreate that piece with the geometry I needed at the end rather than work with the organic curve of the tow hook loop. That being said, I'll take another look and see if there's a piece I can create that will fit securely against the tow hook's loop, and have a flat "stop" for the sleeve. Basically, it would be a 3 piece system.
Sleeve would have lengthwise slit running down entire top side. Texture the inner barrel of the sleeve for friction against the OEM/Rennline hook (most track guys I know use Rennline hook so more opportunity there). Inner barrel should be just slightly smaller circumference than tow hook outer circumference. Then the finger screw and nut on the GoPro would close the slit and secure the sleeve to the hook via friction.

No need for anything else.

Last edited by nwGTS; 09-23-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:10 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Sleeve would have lengthwise slit running down entire top side. Texture the inner barrel of the sleeve for friction against the OEM/Rennline hook (most track guys I know use Rennline hook so more opportunity there). Inner barrel should be just slightly smaller circumference than tow hook outer circumference. Then the finger screw and nut on the GoPro would close the slit and secure the sleeve to the hook via friction.

No need for anything else.
That could work. The only trick will be using the GoPro finger screw to cinch it tight since it will be at an angle relative to the main tow hook bolt. An alternative is to use the same concept, but have the mount sleeve open at the bottom, with a nut and bolt cinching it tight at that location.

I don't have a Rennline tow hook here for reference, do you happen to know the diameter of the main tow hook bolt, and also the diameter of the hinged portion that allows it to flip down?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Last edited by nwGTS; 09-23-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Cars, Cameras, & 3D Printing