Sponsored by:

OEM Intake or Evoms Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 AM
M5to997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OEM Intake or Evoms Intake?

Oem with bmc filter and fabspeed tube or evoms intake? Which one is better?

Last edited by M5to997; 09-19-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

The design of the Evoms intake is a good one. It pulls air through the left decklid opening, like the factory airbox, and if you punch out the right side decklid opening, will draw through that one too as the air filter is on that side and the housing seals it off from the engine compartment so it doesn't draw in hot engine air.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like what an aftermarket intake does to my car. I have the K&N model. There is a firestorm of controversy on this forum regarding hot engine air vs the purity of outside air. I removed the K&N after living with it for a few months and put the stock air box back in and I noticed a big difference in sound and performance. The largest difference I notice is the throttle response when I use Sport Mode. The K&N went back in pronto.

If you do a search you will find a thread that shows an aftermarket intake letting in more air than the stock box. Again, get ready for a firestorm of controversy about that extra air being dirty because the filters are poorly designed.

Others here have seen little or even negative changes in performance but that is not the case with me.

Good luck and have fun
The following users liked this post:
barbancourt (06-03-2021)
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

If the filtration element is primary responsible for letting more air through and that the restriction is not in the factory air box then perhaps a reasonable approach is to retain the stock air box (so no hot air) but put in a high-flow K&N filter .....

And I am still a little worry about these high-flow filter not having as good a filtration as their paper counterpart plus I rather not deal with re-oiling it.....

Last edited by lowbee; 09-19-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I'm with Mike. I have aftermarket intakes on both my 997s. I like the design of the evoms one better than the K&N and would have used that one on my RUF supercharged car too, but had to go with the Fabspeed one there due to the space occupied by the supercharger.

When I did that install, I had to install the heat shield backwards, create a new cutout for the intake pipe, and create a standoff to keep the heat shield from contacting the supercharger pulley, but it's been installed for a few years now and no issues revealed via UOA - the sound is great, the throttle response is improved, and it has more power at the top end of the range, probably because it can take in more air that's then compressed by the supercharger and the piggy backed DME from a TT is handling the fuel mapping for it. Interestingly, the newer Fabspeed Y-Pipe did not work as well in this particular application as the previous J-Pipe design. With the Y-pipe though, I had to cut one of the sides to achieve clearance for the active aero hydraulics that come down the sides, so it may have created some turbulence or it just allows in more air than the DME can supply fuel for, and I didn't want to get into different injectors, tunes, etc.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

it depends on what car you have, different intakes are on different 997
Old 09-19-2016, 08:52 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OKB
it depends on what car you have, different intakes are on different 997
Could you be more specific about your experiences with different intakes? I know that different models have their own intakes (GTS, X51, Turbo etc.). Have you noticed differences between the stock intakes? Do you have a preference?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 PM
M5to997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing your opinions fellas! I think im going to keep my oem intake with fabspeed tube and bmc filter instead and sell my Evoms intake for $300 shipped
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Please let us know what you think of the BMC. It is supposed to be an improvement over the paper filter
Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got the K&N intake like so:

And I also have the mesh filter cover to minimize water seeping into the intake. I've had it for about 6 months (4k miles) and I recently discovered the mesh filter is really dusty. If I run my finger across it it's black.

I'm worried the installed shields aren't creating a decent seal and considering going back to the stock filter. Or perhaps this is normal, and I shouldn't worry about the dust on the filter cover and just let the air filter do its thing?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have an EVOMS air intake with dry filter and sock, and fabspeed sportcats. (older ones with no x-pipe). Oh and PSE.
I get a lot of favourable comments about the sound of my car.

The EVOMS does not actually seal to the decklid, even though it sorta looks like it. But certainly is better than the K n N arrangement I can see above. The dry filter is certainly better than an oiled one too for your MAP sensor.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

M5to997: have you sold the Evoms yet?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the 997.2 has a very good intake, I just put bmc filters in it. The older style 997, like a 996 like the one above has the k&n and i think its the best because it has the long velocity tube, plus seals the hot air out better. but I cant see if it has the dry charger mesh sleeve over the filter. It doesnt look like it. They come with the sleeve to keep water out of the filter. and it works.
and yes I have always had k&n or bmc filters in all my cars. You can tell the difference in the air sucking into the engine, you can even hear it.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:37 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

"And I also have the mesh filter cover to minimize water seeping into the intake. I've had it for about 6 months (4k miles) and I recently discovered the mesh filter is really dusty. If I run my finger across it it's black. "

My dry sock mesh cover is covered in fine black particulate as well. I have about 4k miles on it too. I'm not concerned as I believe that the sock is doing its job and keeping this stuff out of the engine.

If you do put the stock airbox back in please share you impressions vs the K&N. Make sure you disconnect the battery so that the ECU relearns and remaps for the original box. My car with the stock airbox in Sport mode feels significantly slower with much lazier throttle response than when the K&N is installed. And it is noticeable immediately.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
.....My car with the stock airbox in Sport mode feels significantly slower with much lazier throttle response than when the K&N is installed. And it is noticeable immediately.
Do you think the difference in sound between the 2 filters play a role here ?

Quick Reply: OEM Intake or Evoms Intake?