Sponsored by:

Battery Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:09 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Thanks everyone for the input. Are there any issues with completely disconnecting the battery and replacing in terms of needing to re-set PCM etc?
As mentioned, there are a dozen or more settings that your car’s computers will have to relearn after a battery disconnect. As you know, murphy’s law states “anything that can go wrong, will go wrong” One way to save doing some difficult manual resets is to use a small cheap Memory Saver. This is a plug that goes into the cigarette lighter or power plug receptacle. It has a 9-volt radio battery. Since it only takes 5 volts to support all the memory functions, this unit does the job. Before disconnecting the car’s battery, plug in the Saver, shut the doors and take the bulb out of the trunk light. The inside lights and trunk light will drain the little 9 v battery if you don’t.

When we changed the battery in our 997 we simply used a little 12 volt battery hooked in parallel to the main battery’s wiring. Don’t use your battery tender as it will shut off unless it senses a few volts in the system.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
As mentioned, there are a dozen or more settings that your car’s computers will have to relearn after a battery disconnect. As you know, murphy’s law states “anything that can go wrong, will go wrong” One way to save doing some difficult manual resets is to use a small cheap Memory Saver. This is a plug that goes into the cigarette lighter or power plug receptacle. It has a 9-volt radio battery. Since it only takes 5 volts to support all the memory functions, this unit does the job. Before disconnecting the car’s battery, plug in the Saver, shut the doors and take the bulb out of the trunk light. The inside lights and trunk light will drain the little 9 v battery if you don’t.

When we changed the battery in our 997 we simply used a little 12 volt battery hooked in parallel to the main battery’s wiring. Don’t use your battery tender as it will shut off unless it senses a few volts in the system.
Good input - google "9 volt battery memory saver" and you get more info.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I also always like to recommend when working on/in the battery area to wear eye protection and rubber gloves.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
All useful stuff for those of us facing this in the next year or so - thanks. Any suggestions on maintaining radio station presets and other PCM preferences?
I didn't use any supplemental power source while replacing the battery and all the settings remained intact except the clock. Radio station presets didn't get deleted, and I haven't noticed any PCM preferences that changed.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I use my Battery Tender to keep the memory setting alive when disconnecting the battery.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
I use my Battery Tender to keep the memory setting alive when disconnecting the battery.
You have to carefully read the battery tender instructions before using it for a power source. Unlike a regular battery charger, most battery tenders produce no current unless they measure a certain minimum voltage in the car’s battery. When you disconnect and remove the car’s battery, the tender may keep flowing current for a short while, but it would be a very unstable situation and the tender could switch off.

If you have an old 12-v alarm system gel cell battery (or any battery from 6 to 12 volts) in the house, it can make a good memory saver.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:58 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Get the Audi battery, EXACTLY the same OEM, fit, and at fraction of Porsche cost!
Do you have a part number? My battery has been acting up so my 10 year old jokingly said we should put the RS4 battery in the Porsche. Wonder if it fits?

Also, any opinions on this Moll/Porsche for a 997.1? Price is right and it looks similar to my current battery but the part number seems a bit funky.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/99961106520/
Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Do you have a part number? My battery has been acting up so my 10 year old jokingly said we should put the RS4 battery in the Porsche. Wonder if it fits?

Also, any opinions on this Moll/Porsche for a 997.1? Price is right and it looks similar to my current battery but the part number seems a bit funky.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/99961106520/
Moll is a decent battery...but compare its warranty to the offerings from Interstate, Wal-Mart, etc. Same for Audi option - I'd check the warranty.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:44 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
All useful stuff for those of us facing this in the next year or so - thanks. Any suggestions on maintaining radio station presets and other PCM preferences?
I had the tender plugged in when I changed mine out a few years ago and lost nothing. No memory loss and no codes.

A battery is a battery is a battery.
As long as it's 12 volts and 700+ CCA, your fine.

Get a national brand from a national chain with a national warranty.
Then if you have a failure down the road, because it never happens at a convenient time, you 'll be able to get a replacement easily.

Specialty batteries means specialty prices and specialty store hours.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic997 (02-11-2020)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 AM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not sure why - did you have to get dealer to reset that light? I've been changing batteries in 997's for 10 years - always got the PSM warning but never an airbag light. Here's what the owner's manual says:

After the battery is connected or after an exhaustively
discharged battery is charged, the multifunctional
PSM light lights up on the instrument
panel and a message appears on the on-board
computer to indicate a fault.
This fault can be remedied with a few simple
steps:
1. Start the engine.
2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few
steering movements to the left and right and
then drive a short distance in a straight line
until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and
the message on the on-board computer
disappears.
3. If the warnings do not disappear, then:
Drive carefully to the nearest authorized
Porsche dealer.
Have the fault remedied.
4. After the warnings disappear:
Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.
f Perform adaptation of the power windows:
Please see the chapter “STORING END
POSITION OF THE WINDOWS” on Page 26.

I had a total battery discharge - airbag light came on when it was replaced and is still on. Driven a couple hundred miles since and it remains on. Will just have my mechanic take a look when it goes in for end of year service before hibernation in a couple months I guess.....
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For those up in the Great White North, Walmart sells an 765CCA "Everstart Maxx" battery in the H7/94R size for CAD138 with a 36 month replacement/60 month pro-rated warranty. Availability can be a challenge, and it's important to sort through any stock to ensure you're not getting a battery that's been on their shelf for a couple of years. I found a nice, relatively new (~3 mos) one and it fit perfectly.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstar.../6000195362562

Also, I planned to use this to retain the memory along with a jump pack.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/automoti.../6000016943222

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that a switch had to be flipped on the jump pack to activate the power outlet, so I ended up having to reset the windows and showing the PSM code. As the manual says, it went away after a little driving. I don't recall, but Imay not have lost my radio presets. I definitely did not have to punch in a radio security code, which was one of my fears - having bought the car second-hand, I don't have the code.

I always use a CTEK battery maintainer if I know I won't drive the car for more than a couple of days.

Last edited by orange260z; 09-15-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added URLs
Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orange260z
For those up in the Great White North, Walmart sells an 765CCA "Everstart Maxx" battery in the H7/94R size for CAD138 with a 36 month replacement/60 month pro-rated warranty. Availability can be a challenge, and it's important to sort through any stock to ensure you're not getting a battery that's been on their shelf for a couple of years. I found a nice, relatively new (~3 mos) one and it fit perfectly.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstar.../6000195362562

Also, I planned to use this to retain the memory along with a jump pack.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/automoti.../6000016943222

Unfortunately, I didn't realize that a switch had to be flipped on the jump pack to activate the power outlet, so I ended up having to reset the windows and showing the PSM code. As the manual says, it went away after a little driving. I don't recall, but Imay not have lost my radio presets. I definitely did not have to punch in a radio security code, which was one of my fears - having bought the car second-hand, I don't have the code.

I always use a CTEK battery maintainer if I know I won't drive the car for more than a couple of days.
No radio codes for 997's...although as you stated, you may lose radio presets.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
Most newer battery tenders won't work this way. They need to sense a load - a battery in the circuit - before they will provide output. Older/simpler ones that will work this way do so because they lack 'smart charger' sensing and can overcharge your battery.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Should have kept the battery tender on it,
I think battery tenders are evil - they mask electrical problems. There is absolutely no reason a (healthy) P-car can't sit for a month or more without being charged. In fact, the more recent models automatically shut down almost all parasitic loads in any prolonged period of disuse. I know my 2011 Carerra can go months without use; I have to unlock the car manually with a key but it will instantly start up.

During winter layup I disconnect the battery and never charge it over the winter. I have done this for years and years in various cars, trucks and especially large boats where the batteries weigh hundreds of pounds and removing them is impractical.

If you 'need' a battery tender, you have a stuck relay or electrical fault/short. Fix it, don't mask it with a battery tender.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for all the great input. Went to Pep Boys and bought the Bosch ABM battery. However, it is about an inch or so wider than the OEM battery. While the battery tray will accommodate the battery, I need to move the bolt with the lock plate to the next hole in the battery tray, but there are no threads to lock it down. So looks like I'll have to go for a battery the same size as the OEM.

Quick Reply: Battery Thoughts