Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used that longer battery. The OE hold-down clamp on the passenger side of the battery tray can be moved outwards enough to align with an un-tapped hole. Simply add a nut to the capscrew and secure it in the new position.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

The Porsche battery tray is designed to accommodate the euro H6, H7 and H8 sizes of batteries. As Smitten mentioned, the left side hold-down can move from the threaded H7 hole to one of the others. Simply get a common 8mm x1.25 nut and hold it in position with a small plier under the tray to bolt up the battery. When we changed our battery I was assigned the job of holding the nut in position, so if I can do it, so can you.

An H8 AGM battery will have the power to start 100 cars simultaneously, your car can sit forlornly out in the wind-swept back lot at the airport for one year and a H8 will start it up with authority. Considering how many battery problems people have with a 997 this is a good mod. It will add about 7 pounds over a stock H 7 though.

By the way, most Bosh batteries sold in America are not the made in Germany product. They are spit out by one of the U S factories that make private label batteries. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing!
The following users liked this post:
Jaws1 (02-09-2020)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
The Porsche battery tray is designed to accommodate the euro H6, H7 and H8 sizes of batteries. As Smitten mentioned, the left side hold-down can move from the threaded H7 hole to one of the others. Simply get a common 8mm x1.25 nut and hold it in position with a small plier under the tray to bolt up the battery. When we changed our battery I was assigned the job of holding the nut in position, so if I can do it, so can you.

An H8 AGM battery will have the power to start 100 cars simultaneously, your car can sit forlornly out in the wind-swept back lot at the airport for one year and a H8 will start it up with authority. Considering how many battery problems people have with a 997 this is a good mod. It will add about 7 pounds over a stock H 7 though.

By the way, most Bosh batteries sold in America are not the made in Germany product. They are spit out by one of the U S factories that make private label batteries. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing!
Not sure when the switchover was made but the newer battery trays have the 3rd hole threaded. I replaced the tray in my 996 (same as the 997 tray) and all three holes were threaded.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

OB2- battery pigtail thingy
same battery size walmart $129cdn. A couple of years ago.
9 minute job, no beers, with clean up.
Attached Images     
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I responded to this thread on page 2 recommending an AGM battery and then later stating using my Battery Tender (BT) to keep all the memory setting intact while batteries are swapped.

As luck would have it, my C2S barely cranked yesterday so I had to run out for a new battery yesterday evening. I only got 5 years of life out of my previous wet cell that was on a BT the entire second half of it's life. I found an H7 sized AGM @ AutoZone for $225. (Walmart, the only retailer in my little village, didn't carry ANY AGM styles batteries) and swapped it out in 20 mins. I did use my BT to hold the memories and it worked just fine.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I had the tender plugged in when I changed mine out a few years ago and lost nothing. No memory loss and no codes.

A battery is a battery is a battery.
As long as it's 12 volts and 700+ CCA, your fine.

Get a national brand from a national chain with a national warranty.
Then if you have a failure down the road, because it never happens at a convenient time, you 'll be able to get a replacement easily.

Specialty batteries means specialty prices and specialty store hours.
This statement is not true. the newer cars with auto stop/start feature need a AGM or Lithium Ion battery to handle the starting and charging cycles. A normal lead acid will work for a while but will fail prematurely.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche0911
This statement is not true. the newer cars with auto stop/start feature need a AGM or Lithium Ion battery to handle the starting and charging cycles. A normal lead acid will work for a while but will fail prematurely.
Yep ...I have had lots of experience on this ....You need a AGM or a Lithium battery ..... Even if the battery cranks fine with a regular lead acid battery .....German cars especially can randomly throw codes and / or your electrical systems can start acting wacky .... Don't cheap out resolve the issue correctly.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche0911
And how many 997s are auto start/stop?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

If any are interested in Lithium we have a model with Wireless built in Jump STarting, so you will never come back to a dead battery or not be able to open your frunk. It has a full BMS (Battery Management System) that prevents over-discharge, over-charge, and has short-circuit protections and other features to give it the longer possible life. 8-10 years.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zZ0ZAIRkc
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

When it’s time to buy a battery, I’m gonna splurge on one of those $600 light weight batteries. I know people are worried about them exploding, so yall try to talk some sense into me haha!!
Old 12-16-2019, 02:44 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A fact about AGM batteries - don't let them run down too far. They're irrecoverable past a certain point - like if you accidentally leave the doors unlocked for a couple weeks (alarm motion sensor active) and come back. There's at least a chance that a lead acid can be resuscitated. An AGM will simply take nothing after that. I'm on my 3rd AGM, under warranty thankfully.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
When it’s time to buy a battery, I’m gonna splurge on one of those $600 light weight batteries. I know people are worried about them exploding, so yall try to talk some sense into me haha!!
Nope they won't explode, the Lithium you read about exploding is a different chemical make up. But our Antigravity Batteries have a full Battery Management System (BMS) that protects the battery from being over-discharged, over-charged, or being short-circuited. So it can only work within a certain parameter and if over-discharged it puts itself to sleep until you wake it up with it Wireless Keyfob. Then just start the car and drive away. It also can't be over-charged because the circuit board inside the battery prevents that also. So the battery won't do anything funkky because it is not like other batteries that don't have these protections.

On another point there are different chemical make ups of Lithium Batteries... we use LIfePo4, a much more stable and less volatile format of lithium... which is NOT like Lithium Polymer which is used in the Hooverboards and Phones or laptops that you have heard the stories and seen video about exploding. So all Lithium-Ion is not the same at all... there are several variants used commercially, our is one of the safest out there. Any other questions let me know...

We are having a big Last Chance Christmas sale also if you visit https://antigravitybatteries.com/

Some really cool Battery products.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:48 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I wish my battery had made it to this sale. Unfortunately, it died a few months ago and had to replace it ASAP since it's my daily. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Went to the garage to check on the car today and despite the trickle charger showing a steady green light, the battery is as dead as a doorknob. Guess I’ll need to grab a new one. I could tell that it was starting to take a crap before I put the car away in November. What are the current recommendations?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:11 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I also always like to recommend when working on/in the battery area to wear eye protection and rubber gloves.
x2 on this had one blow on me when doing a boost "ALWAYS TURN YOUR HEAD AWAY WHEN CONNECTING CABLES" my ears rang for 4 days luckily I was talking to someone at the time and had my head turned by luck and when it went off I had battery acid all down the one side of my body ... Scared the crap out of me loud as a bomb when it went off .

Always remove the negative cable first, then the positive cable. When you connect the battery, connect the positive end first. So the order is: Remove black, remove red, attach red, attach black.

Quick Reply: Battery Thoughts