Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money Can Buy Happiness

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016 | 01:05 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Default Money Can Buy Happiness

I just made the drive (1100 miles) from Tempe to San Antonio in my new (to me) 2010 C2S. A couple hundred of those miles were ripping up and down 118 by Ft. Davis--great stretch of road--you wouldn't believe it's in Texas. I really got to know the car, and my wife now calls her my "Vixen" (partially inspired by another rennlister's wife who calls his 997 his "tart") given the following definitions by Webster:
  • a female fox
  • an angry and unpleasant woman
  • a sexually attractive woman
Take your pick, but I think definitions one and three are particularly appropriate. Apparently money can buy happiness.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:08 AM
caslca
Racer

Beautiful car! Enjoy and drive it often!
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:12 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by caslca
Thank you. I don't think she'll sit in the garage as much as I thought. Texas roads can be punishing, though. Sometimes when the road is really bad, instead of repairing it, the DOT will put up a sign that says "rough road." Ugh.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:18 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caslca
Originally Posted by NavyHorn
I just made the drive (1100 miles) from Tempe to San Antonio in my new (to me) 2010 C2S. A couple hundred of those miles were ripping up and down 118 by Ft. Davis--great stretch of road--you wouldn't believe it's in Texas. I really got to know the car, and my wife now calls her my "Vixen" (partially inspired by another rennlister's wife who calls his 997 his "tart") given the following definitions by Webster:
  • a female fox
Take your pick, but I think definitions one and three are particularly appropriate. Apparently money can buy happiness.
Forgot to mention the two skunks, jack rabbit, and great horned owl that scared the crap out of me in the middle of the night. Largely because it's VERY dark there (that's why the University of Texas has the observatory there), and every large bug in the largest county in the US (Brewster County) was committing suicide on my wind screen. Visibility was not great. The morning runs were MUCH better.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:29 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I love that color combo. Looks like a great car and I bet that was a hoot of a road trip home. It's also cool that I keep seeing other San Antonians popping up here.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:40 AM
syzygy333
Racer

hot dam! nice color. not quite haze gray (go navy!) gunmetal?
glad you had a nice trip. night driving is a different animal for sure.
friend of mine had a deer come through his windshield one night. car (some kind of Toyota) very damaged. deer euthanized. his wife and newborn son were in the back seat! close call #1 for that little guy
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:41 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I love that color combo. Looks like a great car and I bet that was a hoot of a road trip home. It's also cool that I keep seeing other San Antonians popping up here.
Thank you. I just joined the Longhorn chapter of the PCA. Maybe we'll run into each other.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:49 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

• a female fox
Beautiful car. Take it on 130 to Austin, 85 mph speed limit, highest posted speed limit in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_130
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:57 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Beautiful car. Take it on 130 to Austin, 85 mph speed limit, highest posted speed limit in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_130
I've driven the "Texas autobahn" a few times (anything to bypass IH35), but I worry about those hellacious dips...and feral pigs.

I was cruising 85-90 (posted 80) on IH 10 this morning, and there were very few cars between Balmorhea and Sonora. The road surface can be rough, however.
Old 09-11-2016 | 08:28 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Forgot to mention the two skunks, jack rabbit, and great horned owl that scared the crap out of me in the middle of the night. Largely because it's VERY dark there (that's why the University of Texas has the observatory there), and every large bug in the largest county in the US (Brewster County) was committing suicide on my wind screen. Visibility was not great. The morning runs were MUCH better.
I bet your drive was blurring their telescopes and hitting their Geiger meters.

Great car - enjoy. That's the magic with the 911 IMO. You can cruise relatively comfortably but when you hit that throttle it just becomes a different animal. So very responsive and rewarding.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2016 | 08:30 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

...[*] an angry and unpleasant woman

Vixen. Let's hope it's not this definition. Great story. Great looking car. Enjoy it...T
Old 09-11-2016 | 08:47 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 09-11-2016 | 10:38 AM
NavyHorn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by syzygy333
hot dam! nice color. not quite haze gray (go navy!) gunmetal? glad you had a nice trip. night driving is a different animal for sure. friend of mine had a deer come through his windshield one night. car (some kind of Toyota) very damaged. deer euthanized. his wife and newborn son were in the back seat! close call #1 for that little guy
Thanks. It's "meteor gray metallic" according to Porsche. Haze gray is funnier.

I've hit my share of deer (your friend and his family really dodged a bullet), but it would be absolutely heart broken if I hit a deer in this car.
Old 09-11-2016 | 10:39 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

nice
congrats
get a set of conti dw's or toyo prox 1's - sporty feel but softer sidewall, takes the edge off of crappy roads
Old 09-11-2016 | 10:46 AM
tsteph12
Advanced

Beautiful 997.2 coupe. Congratulations and hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Quick Reply: Money Can Buy Happiness