Sponsored by:

PDK servicing at home.....NOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:14 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK servicing at home.....NOT

it's official: I am throwing in the towel re: clutch fluid change at home.
just too daunting when you get in there, and I was so close to loosening that fill plug.

so much hassle and to repeat two additional times?

it is not about the money- it's my reluctance to have someone working on my car. and shop reviews are relatively hit or miss- maybe 30 satisfied yelp reviews but what if none of them had this particular service? even then, maybe the tech that did so well is off the day I come in? I look at all these variables-it's my nature. some of that from being burned previously.

So: can anyone recommend a good shop in the san diego area to get this service (clutch oil change) done?
thank you.

some day someone will get it figured out, but likely not this 60 year old fella with cancer that limits my energy, strength and stamina
Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine at Porsche Newport Beach. A bit far for you maybe, but I felt they did a good job. They did replace the pan. I posted about it in the other PDK thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html

Pricing matched that of others that did it with the pan replacement.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 PM
syzygy333
Racer

thanks 308! I might just plan a day up the coast. what an excuse......
but also hoping to hear favorable review for shop (indie or Porsche) closer. san diego/Carlsbad/Oceanside etc
Old 09-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Turbo211
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the PDK transmission oil service done at Hoehn on my 2009 997.2 C4S. It was done in January 2016 without any issues.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You need the Porsche PWIIS machine to,properly service PDK to cycle it. There are 2 files you have to change too.

PDK is really not serviceable and there are zero replacement parts for PDK. You can't fix a leak with a new gasket or even service the clutch packs...Porsche just replaces the whole PDK unit!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Are you saying that neither Porsche San Diego or Hoehn are not competent to do a PDK service? On what basis?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Best to interview the service manager(s) on their experience in servicing PDKs. Not all are equal.

Search for Wayne Smith's experience in getting his PDK serviced. His lower level of confidence in service depts closer to him led him to go to a dealer 50 miles away.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Best to interview the service manager(s) on their experience in servicing PDKs. Not all are equal.

Search for Wayne Smith's experience in getting his PDK serviced. His lower level of confidence in service depts closer to him led him to go to a dealer 50 miles away.
Yes, I suggested Porsche of Fremont to Wayne, as I consider Porsche of Fremont the best service department in the Bay Area. But the OP is in San Diego and I have no doubt that either Porsche San Diego or Hoehn will do the job right.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 AM
syzygy333
Racer

Thanks guys for the information. Hoehn is pretty close, and perhaps i'll drop in at Porsche san diego and determine if they are on the ball so to speak.
there is an indie in s.d. and they said they do the service (black forest).

jeeze. I feel like I am taking my only child in for plastic surgery!

I will report back any conclusive info
Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by syzygy333
Thanks guys for the information. Hoehn is pretty close, and perhaps i'll drop in at Porsche san diego and determine if they are on the ball so to speak.
there is an indie in s.d. and they said they do the service (black forest).

jeeze. I feel like I am taking my only child in for plastic surgery!

I will report back any conclusive info
I would not trust an Indy with a PDK at this point. You have to leave the car with the dealer for a few hours. The PDK oil temp must be within a narrow range of temperature, controlled by a PIWIS. I would change gear oil in addition to wt clutches oil, if I were you.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 AM
syzygy333
Racer

ADias, here's the thing: only indies with PIWIS can perform this service. and it is documented that dealers have goofed this up. i'm going to check with dealer and indie, whichever my gut tells me to go with I will. the indie tech might or might not be as well versed in this as the dealer tech.

the dealership has an impressive storefront, looks like a Porsche art museum, but the rubber meets the road in the service bays out back.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 877 Posts

For specialty stuff, in general, I support dealers.... and I am a big DIY and indy guy. If they screw it up, they have way deeper pockets than an indy. And you have the Porsche North America 800 cust service line to call. I won't labor a story, but years ago, I called Porsche NA about an issue and they resolved it FAST. I got a call from some regional guy and he took care of the issue.

This specialty, new stuff like PDK gives me the ******.... until I know of folks tearing it apart and getting it right, it goes to a dealer for me. I don;t have PDK, but that is what I would do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 AM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

FYI Hohen did my PDK service at the time of purchase (CPO) from them- no problem. They are a stand up dealer (I asked them to do this service based on age after the deal was done and they complied).
Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I too had PDK serviced and some older warranty work (temp sensor) done at Porsche Fremont - great shop but too far for OP.

As there are many more PDK's around now, the Porsche dealers should be getting better and better. My suggestion is to read up on the full fluid change procedure and when you feel you understand it well enough (perhaps you do already), call the dealer service departments in your area and talk to them. Ask them to describe how the PDK fluid service is handled and what they do, what they replace, and how long it will take. Based on their answers and comparing to your own knowledge, you should have a pretty good sense of who can and will properly handle the job. I know at Porsche Fremont, I always talk with Gunter (Service Manager) long before any work is done so I can understand what and how they plan to do it - he will often show me the pages from the workshop manual that describes the procedure and then relate "learnings" from having done the work before. I've even been a test case for him on a few Cayenne repairs - we learned together on those.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes for you, always interested to learn about good (and bad) service shops around the country.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 PM
syzygy333
Racer

well, heard now 2 favorable for Hoehn. i have fairly well memorized the entire sequence for a PIWIS guided clutch oil change- really not much to it. They should have too, esp. on a 15k item!

well, i'm going to visit a few places today time willing, and get a firmer feel. more to follow.

Quick Reply: PDK servicing at home.....NOT