Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Here's mine
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2016, 12:19 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I make them....and most all my stuff like this.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2016, 12:20 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

More more more
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot993
Racetwin2 - I also have a 997.1 and it drives me crazy how easy it is to accidentally open the frunk or unlock the car. I have gotten into the habit now of not putting the key in my pocket until I have walked a good distance from my car so as to not have an issue.

What is different about the 997.2 key and how hard (and expensive) of a change? Assume requires a visit to the dealer?

thanks!

David

Hi David!

The 997.2 key is much heavier and feels more premium but the big advantage is that the buttons don't engage accidentally.

First you buy a key fob with blank blade on eBay or similar. Make sure you buy one where the Porsche crest is included. I bought two new key fobs for 50 bucks. They are completely empty inside so you have to move the electronics, key blade and transponder. Key blade and electronics is a 5 minute job. Really! Extremely easy. To move the transponder (the black thing that looks like a magnet) is extremely tricky, it's glued with some kind of epoxy glue so I used a thin carpet knife to cut around and then pry it loose. Prepare yourself for some cursing

That's it really. Max s 1 hour job but then the transponder is 80% of the work. You don't need the blank key blades as you just move the ones you already have. To get the key blade loose there is a small plastic tab you have to slide to the side.

There is several DIY on this if you search the web. I think even on YouTube.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Where do you guys put the house key?

I have 2 keys (car and house), CVS discount card because I'm 110 years old (very small), and a Porsche metal square tag that allows whoever finds it to put it in the mail and it gets returned to Porsche, kinda cool looking too has a picture of a 356 and modern 911 engraved on it.

When I lived in NJ I had many things and keys on my key chain so this is a big downsize for me! One key would be unthinkable since I usually carry a million things in my pockets like I was 8 years old!

Tom
Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

My house/work keys go on a separate keychain along with keys to wife's pickup truck. Shockingly enough, it's a N.Y. Mets keychain that my wife gave me a few years back.

Fun car keys go on their own separate keychains, which I then attach to a long lanyard that I got at the Ferrari store in Vegas. Don't want a huge mess of keys clanking around while I'm enjoying those back road twisties! Additionally, since none of the fun cars is a DD, it puts a smile on my face when I have those keys in my pocket. Means it's gonna be a good day!

T
Attached Images  

Last edited by tomc_mets; 09-10-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Hi David!

The 997.2 key is much heavier and feels more premium but the big advantage is that the buttons don't engage accidentally.

First you buy a key fob with blank blade on eBay or similar. Make sure you buy one where the Porsche crest is included. I bought two new key fobs for 50 bucks. They are completely empty inside so you have to move the electronics, key blade and transponder. Key blade and electronics is a 5 minute job. Really! Extremely easy. To move the transponder (the black thing that looks like a magnet) is extremely tricky, it's glued with some kind of epoxy glue so I used a thin carpet knife to cut around and then pry it loose. Prepare yourself for some cursing

That's it really. Max s 1 hour job but then the transponder is 80% of the work. You don't need the blank key blades as you just move the ones you already have. To get the key blade loose there is a small plastic tab you have to slide to the side.

There is several DIY on this if you search the web. I think even on YouTube.
Thanks! I didn't consider that this could be a DIY...even better.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine... Leather has my vin on back got it from Bruce here on this forum. Silver is a gift from my wife from a jeweler in Salzburg, Austria. It's solid silver and beautifully carved. Porsche keys are only with me when driving the car on weekends, otherwise they sit in a box so no clanging around... But I don't worry too much about the frankly, just try not to drop them often.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:58 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Also like having a simple key chain for the 911. House key is separate and business keys go in my bag. Family cars get lego mini figures. Just noticed Luke's right hand fell off, lol. Land Cruiser has goofy remote start instructions along with key to bike rack. From the keys you'd never know the Toyota cost more than double the Odyssey.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2016, 08:43 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
Mine... Leather has my vin on back got it from Bruce here on this forum. Silver is a gift from my wife from a jeweler in Salzburg, Austria. It's solid silver and beautifully carved. Porsche keys are only with me when driving the car on weekends, otherwise they sit in a box so no clanging around... But I don't worry too much about the frankly, just try not to drop them often.

Winner. Googling " Austria....silver Porsche key ring" right now with low expectations.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:11 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Triple Crown

Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
My house/work keys go on a separate keychain along with keys to wife's pickup truck. Shockingly enough, it's a N.Y. Mets keychain that my wife gave me a few years back.

Fun car keys go on their own separate keychains, which I then attach to a long lanyard that I got at the Ferrari store in Vegas. Don't want a huge mess of keys clanking around while I'm enjoying those back road twisties! Additionally, since none of the fun cars is a DD, it puts a smile on my face when I have those keys in my pocket. Means it's gonna be a good day!

T
Tom, you are a brave man. I lost one of my Ferrari keys for a year (I have two factory spares), but it killed me. The factory key blank is $300 plus another $3-400 for the exact vintage Schedoni fob plus getting it cut. A year later after loosing the key, I put on a pair of jeans that were sitting on the top shelf. The second I put them on, I felt the key. I was so excited I called my wife at work and she said, "Thats nice honey, did you pick up the dog poop in the back yard?" Now it has a big 'Remove before flight tag'.....way to uncomfortable to put in a pocket. For me anyways.

As far as a house key......I think there is still one hidden in the garden. Most of our cars have home link and the Fcar has a micro garage door opener in the door pocket.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

^ I have a special drawer that all the keys for the fancy cars go into. Since they're not DDs, I try to make that the second thing I do (first is play with the dog) after I get back from a drive. Knock on wood, we've not misplaced any thus far...T
Old 09-10-2016, 10:39 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Triple Crown

^^I see your Benz, Bimmer, Porker and raise you a Benz, Porker, Fezza!

Maybe CaptainBaker will post his key chain and embarrass us all?

T

Old 09-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick Reply: Let's see those keys