Sponsored by:

Garage ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:28 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Garage ideas

So, I've been preoccupied with some major changes over the past year and haven't participated nearly enough on here. I am looking to remedy that soon! To start, one of the big changes over the past year was a move, including to a house with a much larger garage than I've ever had in the past.

Looking for inspiration and ideas for must-have features for a garage. This is a blank slate for the most part, except:

1.) Nothing too expensive. Hard to define just what is "too expensive" but I'd rather not go out of pocket for more than $10k all-in, for upgrades

2.) Flooring. It is a nice, flat, epoxy coated floor that seems to have held up well and I'd rather leave as-is for now. Hopefully that helps with budget a bit...

I am familiar with some of the cool garages out there, including Olsen's, but some of those appear a bit too custom,(in other words too expensive an undertaking and I have too little skill).

One thing I already know I will get is a four post lift to increase capacity to 5 cars from 4. Seems like a good one can be had for <$3k? Leaves me with about $7k to work with.

Will post pictures of the garage at some point but it is pretty much a blank slate, other than the slat wall system already in place.

Dimensions are approximately 50' x 38' with 16ft ceiling height.

At this stage it is not heated/cooled (to my knowledge). Ideas around garage heating systems might be very helpful but I fear doing it properly will throw me over budget pretty quickly?

Any suggestions for where to find good quality cabinets, and any other decor (practical or otherwise) would also be great.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:43 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

1) Lights. I just put 7 4-foot LED fixtures above the bay with the lift. 3 fixtures on the other side of the garage.

2) if you are going 4 post lift, be sure you check your ceiling height against the lift dimensions - twice! (At 16' you shouldn't have any issues) And get one with the ability to also lift from the jack points (with an adapter). You can do oil changes on the 4-post, but without the adapting lifters, you can't do wheels or tires. If you go 2-post lift, you'll have everything covered - just be sure you measure post placement for various cars (twice!).

[edit - if you are going to put your lift close to door, be sure your garage doors lift high enough for your lift! I had to raise my door track and get a jackshaft (side) door opener for my MaxJax lift - the door hung pretty low.]

3) You could do a nice pneumatic line run. Not that expensive. RapidAir has a good setup.

4A) Tool benches. I have one 8' run and a separate 4' run. I got 2 of these from Costco and they are awesome. Put them side by side and they'll house a ton of tools!

4B) Tool boxes/carts. Goes with the garage. Get as many as you like/need. I like to have a little rolling tool cart without drawers for tools and holdings parts and stuff.

5) A sink. Not sure how I ever did car work without one in the garage!

6). A TV with an appleTV connected. YouTubing things in the garage while you're working on them is very nice.

7). Put everything on wheels (if you can). I have all my tools, shelving units, benches, etc etc on wheels. Once a year you can wheel everything across the garage and clean the floors. Then reverse and do the other side. That epoxy flooring will pay big dividends! Oh, get a giant dust mop and squeegee.

-td

Last edited by himself; 09-07-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:43 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beer Fridge
TV.
Wall mounted PC to login to Rennlist, access manuals, buy tools

Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Brilliant ideas, thanks!

I need to have a close look at the plumbing to see what's feasible for a sink in there.

Again, really appreciate these ideas.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

2. Flat epoxy floor? ... Put another coat on it while it's that empty. It will be full of junk soon enough.
paint or repaint all the walls and ceiling . Then good lights, work bench, music, tv, Cool hydration station (beer fridge).
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Doing my garage now about half way through it.

I would make sure you go with an ultra white satin finish paint on all walls and ceilings so the light can reflect off it.Also with sating finish you can wash it.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Guys are making me jealous!

Can't wait to see pics. Congrats!

T
Old 09-07-2016, 08:56 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look through this post.
Some good ideas . Esp liking the diy floor tiles.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...rage-****.html
Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Check out Nigel's lift thread where I had a pretty long post with a lot of info on my setup and pics, mostly relating to the lift, but with some other comments as well.

My Gladiator Garage cabinets have held up very well since I did my garage project back in 2009. There are 2 grades of these - the preassembled heavier gauge ones and the lesser quality versions you have to put together that come in a flat box. Go with the heavier gauge ones. When I was doing mine, Sears put them on-sale from time to time. Open the boxes when you pick them up to look for dented sides and corners.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

We need a garage sticky for everyone's reference purposes.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:42 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Thanks all! I move into the house later this month. Will post starting reference pics and maybe even document the process. Will depend on how ambitious I get and how much time I have.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had the space you have I would do:

lift
workbench/tools
espresso machine (trust me it is a must)*
wine/beer fridge*
big TV with surround sound*
slouchy couch*
rowing machine (to row off the beer/wine)*
all LED lighting (can lights, not the janky long flourescent tube stuff that our dads' had)
used cabinets on craigslist
outlets every 6 feet*

Items with a * I have in my smaller setup, so speaking from experience that these work, at least for me
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

Recommend Griots lights. Put one in garage and it is stunning in light quality versus big box fixtures. Call them and get recommendations for what you need for garage size etc. No affiliation just like what I've gotten from them.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 AM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going down this path too: epoxy floor, 4-post lift like Petza's with the hydraulic lift to raise the car for swapping wheels etc.

I'm thinking of adding a tire rack or cart for holding off-season tires. Recommendations anyone?

I would love to have power cords that I could pull down from the ceiling rather than creating trip hazards.

Good suggestion on having good lighting for detailing work.

Don't forget to add posters on the walls. I've got movie posters from "Cars", the animated movie, that'll be going up, as well as the Porsche Le Mans win poster.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:45 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Love these suggestions. So many things where after I read them I think "why didn't I thnk of that???"

I will keep everyone posted and start to document once I move in.

Quick Reply: Garage ideas