Sponsored by:

PDK home servicing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:21 AM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK home servicing

2009 c2 pdk. 63,500 miles. running perfectly. I have posted in past about possibility of servicing pdk at home.
my plan:
open fill plug, siphon out as much fluid as possible refill with exact amount, run car a while (week or 2) and repeat until 6 litres fluid changed. this would in effect almost totally renew fluid without disturbing pan or drain plug (my pan/plug are bone dry and I don't want to invite problems there.

I could also run a fiber optic through fill port to get a look at filter. if it looks brand new as everyone seems to say they do when they drop the pan, i'll be satisfied no further action needed.

I have a question though: in removing the fill plug, will more seep out than I can replace? I have ALL DATA subscription, and it seems that you can just refill until fluid trickles out of port, and I believe from the short cut service some members have had, only about 2 litres get changed when pan is dropped, meaning approx. 3.2 litres are still captive in the system.

this may seem a byzantine approach, but this is how adamant I am about doing as much as I can on my own, without handing my car over to someone with (to me) unknown ability, patience and attention to detail.

any thoughts appreciated.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should also replace the filter, regardless. I had my Tiptronic S flushed by a professional and they replaced the entire amount of fluid, filter and pan gasket.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 730 Posts

PDK filter appears to be lifetime (their words, not mine). It cannot be replaced without replacing the pan ($500) since the pan can not be re-used.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy333
2009 c2 pdk. 63,500 miles. running perfectly. I have posted in past about possibility of servicing pdk at home.
my plan:
open fill plug, siphon out as much fluid as possible refill with exact amount, run car a while (week or 2) and repeat until 6 litres fluid changed. this would in effect almost totally renew fluid without disturbing pan or drain plug (my pan/plug are bone dry and I don't want to invite problems there.

I could also run a fiber optic through fill port to get a look at filter. if it looks brand new as everyone seems to say they do when they drop the pan, i'll be satisfied no further action needed.

I have a question though: in removing the fill plug, will more seep out than I can replace? I have ALL DATA subscription, and it seems that you can just refill until fluid trickles out of port, and I believe from the short cut service some members have had, only about 2 litres get changed when pan is dropped, meaning approx. 3.2 litres are still captive in the system.

this may seem a byzantine approach, but this is how adamant I am about doing as much as I can on my own, without handing my car over to someone with (to me) unknown ability, patience and attention to detail.

any thoughts appreciated.
Well, my first thought is a PDK is a pretty expensive component to learn on. While you may have good attention to detail, and all the patience in the world, to put it bluntly you know squat about the PDK.

An "early" fluid and filter service I think is a good thing. My advice would be to take the car to a local dealer and have this done.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
PDK filter appears to be lifetime (their words, not mine). It cannot be replaced without replacing the pan ($500) since the pan can not be re-used.
You can get the entire kit for around $500, This includes the Pan/Filter and Fluid.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...Ou4aAuVQ8P8HAQ
Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does your post mean you have done no service to your PDK in 63,000 miles?

My '09 Cayman with PDK and 36,000 miles is getting close to something like this so your thread is timely.

Eddie
Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

First PDK service is due at 60,000 miles or 6 years. You're "overdue."
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM
syzygy333
Racer

i did expect a gamut of replies (pro/con) so no surprise there. here's a thought: i might be exploring new territory, but i am not proceeding rashly or without concern. i don't want to break my car, trust me on this. more importantly, i don't want to pay someone else to break my car!

i have the pioneer spirit to some degree. and this is how the unknown becomes known. maybe in the near future someone will crack the code on this (ability to diy) and perhaps i will be one of the parties responsible?
can't fault me for that. someone has to take the first step.

i'm not going in blindfolded and just twisting wrenches. this (forum post) is part of the intelligence gathering, i will separate the wheat from the chaff.
I have many feelers out, and in the end, i may just find someone i trust enough to do this service and wash my hands of it, but for now.....I am motivated and patient
Old 09-06-2016, 10:44 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy333
i did expect a gamut of replies (pro/con) so no surprise there. here's a thought: i might be exploring new territory, but i am not proceeding rashly or without concern. i don't want to break my car, trust me on this. more importantly, i don't want to pay someone else to break my car!

i have the pioneer spirit to some degree. and this is how the unknown becomes known. maybe in the near future someone will crack the code on this (ability to diy) and perhaps i will be one of the parties responsible?
can't fault me for that. someone has to take the first step.

i'm not going in blindfolded and just twisting wrenches. this (forum post) is part of the intelligence gathering, i will separate the wheat from the chaff.
I have many feelers out, and in the end, i may just find someone i trust enough to do this service and wash my hands of it, but for now.....I am motivated and patient

I appreciate your willingness to try this on your own, but I don't understand your logic. You have a concern around making sure its done 'well' and attention to details-but this method is the farthest from it, isn't it?
Not trying to be a negative nancy but just my two cents.

Also on the theory of purging over time, wouldn't some of the contaminants just migrate to the new oil and reach an equilibrium across both oils. You would then be purging some new oil every time you purge old.?

I guess a way to test this theory is try with a cup of water with food coloring in it. If you dump/add as you theorize-lets see what happens.

Regardless of my whining good luck.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a differential equation to solve for how many times you'd need to pull oil out and refresh to get whatever percent new oil you want, but it's not worth figuring it out.

Your method is good for removing particles and contaminants in the oil that are suspended. I believe larger heavier particles (such as metal wear from teeth) will sink. You will not be removing the majority of these particles. So while you may have "fresh oil" it will still have old debris in it.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 AM
syzygy333
Racer

mattyf, the math isn't too weird. a percentage of dilution which does actually decrease with each procedure, but each procedure would be causing an increase in new fluid/decrease of old. As others have stated, when the pan IS pulled, the filter/fluid look new. If/when I do this, I will fiberoptically examine the filter, which is where the particles should be collecting. If it looks anything other than "new" to me, I will go plan B (stealership or indy with piwis and roll those dice).

One major goal of this drain/fill is to introduce new fluid with all the properties of same, as opposed to tired heat cycled/degraded fluid. Contaminants of any concern should be collecting in the filter, as Porsche intended?

I just changed my coolant last week, and it was performing fine. But it does degrade over time too.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey why don't you just buy yourself a new pan from Suncoast? It's about $320. Seems like replacing the pan might be easier and not much more expensive than flushing multiple rounds of fluid through there. Am I missing something?

Hey I'm also late on this service. Can someone direct me to the correct clutch fluid PN?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 AM
syzygy333
Racer

welcome to my sticky wicket jdgamble! changing the pan would not change all the fluid, as far as I know, only the pan fluid (guessing approx. 2 litres).
I just purchased clutch oil fluid from Pelican. will check part # and report in a minute
Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 AM
syzygy333
Racer

from Pelican Porsche parts (no affiliation):
Pentosin FFL part# 000-043-207-29-M210
$28.50/litre You will need 5.2 Litres.
this is just for the clutch oil change,
different oil/procedure/schedule for the gearbox
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 AM
syzygy333
Racer

you might find it cheaper elsewhere, I just chose Pelican. I like their site, user friendly etc.

Quick Reply: PDK home servicing