Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF just happened???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

That's it 100%, but now gotta do an AOS. I have the time. Any pics of where the strips go?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Default The footage

Take a peek
Attached Files
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

It looks like the smoke is coming out of the drivers side exhaust pipe only....AOS failure usually results in both sides smoking.

This may more sinister......

Others may have more insight but this looks like bore score.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
It looks like the smoke is coming out of the drivers side exhaust pipe only....AOS failure usually results in both sides smoking.

This may more sinister......

Others may have more insight but this looks like bore score.
I would say you may be right since the AOS would be a whiter smoke and as you said both sides

but I hope I am wrong
Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

This is what an AOS Failure looks like.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:30 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
This is what an AOS Failure looks like.
Smokin porsche - YouTube
I don't get it, if your Porsche is blowing **** out the pipes, is it wise to have it in neutral and be jumping on the gas/revving it? Lol
Unless they know it's the AOS and just ****ing around. ;-)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

That's what mine looked liked-- a complete smokescreen World War II style/speed racer style… I'm trying to figure out how to get the last two bolts or even see the last two bolts on the drivers and take manifold. If anyone can help please do.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

The difference between your video and the one I linked to, at least from my eyes, is that yours is only coming out of the left side, right cylinder bank, which reduces the chance of AOS and moves more into a cylinder problem. Is my observation incorrect?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

DIY on the front Page's DIY & Tech thread.
Sounds like a PITA Job. I paid someone to do mine and my knuckles thank me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-997-1-c2.html
Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need DIY

With pics please.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I think nailed the sound..... plywood.... I could not figure a good way to describe this. I think I finally figured it out. First, my sound only happens on sharp bumps and in the closed position. Crack it or open it and it doesn't rattle. Lightly press your finger up against the headliner or just behind it and the sound stops. With the roof closed, lighty bump your fist just behind the panel on the roof liner.... you should hear the plywood-like noise.

I removed the headliner chasing this and can not find anything loose or out of alignment... drove me nuts.

If this describes your issue, then try this.....

1 - Pop up the sunroof
2 - Put three small strips of thick rubber tape on the underside of the metal panel but on top of the three rubber stops attached to the liner.

To do this, pop the roof up, get out and look at the upped trailing edge of the panel. You will see a gap between the metal outer panel and inner liner. You can put your fingers in there and push down on the liner panel. It is spring loaded to put pressure upward. When you push the liner down, you will see the three rubber bumpers.... put the tape on the metal thus increasing the pressure between the plates.

It is a really odd system. Notice that when you open the roof by sliding back (not popping up), for the very first movement, the outer metal panel depresses but the liner does not move.... it squishes the rubber stops. I believe this squishing, over time, allows the rubber to retreat a bit thus allowing vibration between the two. I just did this last week and reduced this noise considerably... I want to add one more layer to increase thickness. I am not 100% sure I addressed the cause but I definitely lessened the sound with this method. I haven't reported it yet here as I want to be sure what I did was both correct and didn't hurt anything.

Give it a try and report back.... maybe start a new thread. I will start one in a few weeks when I am sure I found the problem.

If these were not your symptoms....... never mind.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

I basically got it all out and half the intake manifold bolts free, and have not yet wrapped my mind around even finding the final two bolts....mañana. Part is $120 out the door. If it wasn't uncomfortable work it's brutally simple. That PDF is one year older than my car and there are some differences, having done this once I could do it in a third of the time the second time.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten
With pics please.
I will try next week. I already made a recording of the rattle sound... plan is to make a new thread with this stuff. Stay tuned.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-07-2016, 03:02 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Keep us posted on whether or not it is the AOS. That would be my first guess. I hope that is what it is which means it is just a regular maintenance issue and not something serious.

As far as the flopping sunroof liner. It drove me nuts too and I could not stand it anymore, so I just removed mine completely a couple years ago. 4 torx screws to remove the sunroof and a few more to remove the liner. They make suede/alcantara that color matches pretty good and it is peel and stick. I covered the exposed underside with that suede and it looks stock if you didn't know what was there before.. No more sunroof rattling noises at all! I was worried I would notice it not there, but it took a day to stop looking up at it and you realize that if it wasn't for that damn rattling noise, no one ever looks up there. I had almost forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So did you just delete the sun roof function? If you did that is interesting since I rarely open mine. Thanks

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Keep us posted on whether or not it is the AOS. That would be my first guess. I hope that is what it is which means it is just a regular maintenance issue and not something serious.

As far as the flopping sunroof liner. It drove me nuts too and I could not stand it anymore, so I just removed mine completely a couple years ago. 4 torx screws to remove the sunroof and a few more to remove the liner. They make suede/alcantara that color matches pretty good and it is peel and stick. I covered the exposed underside with that suede and it looks stock if you didn't know what was there before.. No more sunroof rattling noises at all! I was worried I would notice it not there, but it took a day to stop looking up at it and you realize that if it wasn't for that damn rattling noise, no one ever looks up there. I had almost forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Quick Reply: WTF just happened???!!!