Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who here has wrapped their 997? What's the latest and greatest on wrap material?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 06:59 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Default So who here has wrapped their 997? What's the latest and greatest on wrap material?

I own a Seal Gray 997.1 and I thought it would be fun to temporarily change the color to mix things up a bit. The car has front/rear LED's, otherwise it's a standard 997.1.

I'm out of touch with what wrap solutions are out there and currently install costs.

I don't see this discussed that often in this forum so I'm wondering if applying a wrap makes the car appear "cheap" vs. a factory paint job.

So who has done it, and are you happy with the results?
Old 09-03-2016 | 09:59 AM
Cysco
Racer

been casually looking at this myself.

From what I can gather, there are two directions you can go to change the color of your car.

Vinyl wrap - most important thing is to make sure you find someone who knows what they're doing. Not sure if there's a big difference in material, but there definitely is in installer.

Spray - There are several spray on options that I've heard about. (like plasti dip but better) I've heard this approach can be better as it's obviously easier to get all the contours of the car correct with spray than film. Perhaps someone on here with experience with spray on vinyl can chime in?
Old 09-03-2016 | 12:56 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

I highly advise against spray. I had it done to my 944 turbo few years ago at a pretty good shop, it looked great from about 20 feet away. Upon close up it looked hideous, so bad that I had it removed immediately, that took them another 2 days. I would go with high quality vinyl wrap and a reputable shop
Old 09-04-2016 | 02:14 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Planning to do my c2s in sapphire blue metallic with light sheen.
Old 09-04-2016 | 08:11 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Planning to do my c2s in sapphire blue metallic with light sheen.
Are you going to try the 3M vinyl? Any pictures of the color?
Old 09-04-2016 | 08:15 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Are you going to try the 3M vinyl? Any pictures of the color?
I haven't started my research yet. Just saw some dude on YouTube doing his gt3 in that color. Looks stunning. I know 3M makes good product, had my bmw roof wrapped in carbon fiber 3m. Looks good. Still after 3 years
Old 09-04-2016 | 11:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Remember that many parts of the car must be dissembled to do a thorough job.
Ask lots of questions and get referrals.

On the GT4 there was a lot of discussion about headlight removal for clear film installation and some little known issues for properly re installing headlights. I don't recall specific but the point is to properly wrap a car and hide as many edges as possible, they must dissemble then Reassemble parts. Will it rattle or squeak? What if a clip breaks? If done at a dealer maybe the tech takes it apart for the film installer. I haven't done it. When I started asking around I was put off by the invasiveness of the process.

I know it's done successfully all the time but decided I probably won't have it done. Just too nervous something goes wrong and then I have a problem that's tough to fix. Not sure how they deal with taking a car apart, and trying to hide edges at body panel intersections that remain intact.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2016 | 11:32 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Yeah I know about the removal of parts lol. Just found a local shop here in Long island that seems to have great reviews. They do mostly high end cars like Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsches . I can't decide on a color though. Was gonna go with metallic blue as I mentioned but now the wife thinks it's too gaudy for a daily driver. Maybe gloss black or metallic charcoal.. don't know
Old 09-05-2016 | 12:49 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

I did a few parts in matt / non gloss black to protect the car when I 1st got it.
I lived in a rural area and my driveway and the private road leading to the main road was a dirt road and quite long.
The road was so bad I had to drive in 1st Gear all the way up.
I did not want to use clear as after time I was told it turns yellow.

I had the front bumper, rear bumper and hood done - I also had a blue film put on all the front lights. (bought from Suncoast)

I removed the front prior to moving to FL since it really had taken a beating after driving it but it did a great protect the bumper. (I never took a picture of it unfortunately)

I love blue and want I really want to do is either Mexico Blue or something along those lines.

This is how it looks currently

Name:  20160427_175726_zpsrcbcbwpu.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  455.4 KB

Name:  20160427_173718_zpsdmwvlf5t.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  201.8 KB

Name:  20160427_173650_zpsfgzscjmx.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  262.1 KB

Car while at the Shop - drove by to see the progress

Name:  JD801253_zpsm5jcghok.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  430.2 KB

Since I am German for the fun of it I had them do the German Flag on my Sunroof

Name:  20160427_173710_zpsqfri1oew.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  183.5 KB

although they where a professional company with a lot of experience in doing this work this was there 1st Porsche.
They did not do such a great job in some areas compared to others that work on these car normally and in the end I did not pay anything for it.
It would have otherwise cost me $800.

some don't like
some do

I like it and it has grown on me so at this time I have no plans of removing any of it. If it get to a point where it is really bad my next step is to actually upgrade the front and rear bumper to the GT3 Style. The hood will stay that way - but what I really would love to do is take it of fill the holes that hold the Porsche Emblem and re wrap it and just use a sticker.
But that is on my wish list

-----------------------------------------------

I found this picture online at weelenhancement - this is how I would love mine to look eventually

Quick Reply: So who here has wrapped their 997? What's the latest and greatest on wrap material?