Sponsored by:

Best dash cleaner/conditioner for non-leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 12:54 AM
westgate997
Instructor

Default Best dash cleaner/conditioner for non-leather

Hey guys,

Dash on my cab is getting a bit dry, but I am looking for something that will clean, nourish and protect without being greasy or shiny like cheap Armor All. Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2016 | 01:01 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Aerospace 303 - fairly matte look and great UV protection.
Old 09-02-2016 | 06:15 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

+1 for Aerospace 303 as a protectant for your dash. If it needs cleaning first, I would use warm soapy water (sparingly), dry off, then apply 303.
Old 09-02-2016 | 07:30 AM
db997gts
Advanced

Aerospace is the best. I messed up my dash initially with 1z cockpit, I would not every recommend that product for Porsche non-leather dash surfaces.
Old 09-02-2016 | 08:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Lexol vinylex works well also
Old 09-02-2016 | 08:24 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Sonax. Been using it for about 4 years now.
http://store.carcareonline.com/sonaxmattefinishdashboardcleaner-300mlpumpspray.aspx

Old 09-02-2016 | 10:56 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sydneysixer
+1 for Aerospace 303 as a protectant for your dash. If it needs cleaning first, I would use warm soapy water (sparingly), dry off, then apply 303.
+1 on both.

I don't know why people think soap and water is bad and are willing to spend money on some labeled cleaner. Dish detergent and water work on anything (ok, maybe not glass) especially plastic and leather. Leather? yea, leather is skin like your hands and face. Soap will pull moisturizers out of the leather so follow up with a good conditioner (not a cleaner/conditioner) and any of the big names have good stuff (McGuires, Mother's etc.) - although Lexol stinks and will relax the leather to much for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-02-2016 | 11:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For cleaning I typically use a damp microfiber unless it's extremely dirty. If it's extremely dirty I use Griot's interior cleaner. For protection I also like 303 although I've heard from many that sonax also makes a great interior product.
Old 09-02-2016 | 12:21 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

no silicones or coatings like armorall , use a good product like lexol or meguares or such and just wash with warm water and mild detergent and then thin coat of lexol
Old 09-02-2016 | 02:28 PM
S4tech75
Rennlist Member

Ardex Neuclean- best ever interior cleaning product provided it is cut to the appropriate concentrate to water. Works on everything, will not dry leather, excellent for serious stains as well. Have been using it for years and no issues. As always, small tester in out of the way location is best before using on high profile areas.
Old 09-02-2016 | 03:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I'll throw this out into the ring and you can take it or leave it... .

For vinyl, I have found that rubbing baby oil on the surface, letting it sit overnight and then wiping off thoroughly, keeps the material soft, pliable and crack free forever. If you can tolerate the smell (there may be unscented baby oil, I don't know), this method is inexpensive and works better than any expensive vinyl "conditioner" or "protectant" that I have ever tried.

I learned this trick from an old fellow I knew many years ago who had a late sixties Lincoln Continental. The vinyl parts in his car (dash, console, door panels, etc.) were not only perfect, but still as soft as the day the car rolled off of the assembly line. He told me his secret and I started doing it myself on my own cars.

I brought more than one dried-out, crispy dash back from the dead that way. I still use it on my '67 Mustang and my old trucks and it still works. I really only smell the baby oil for a day or two after application.
Old 09-06-2016 | 08:03 PM
TypeRx
Racer

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium -- an effective mild cleaner but more importantly leaves behind good UV protection with a very OEM matte finish. It's a great product that I have been using for years on all of my cars. Try it, you will thank me later. Bonus is that you can use it on your dash, all interior panels, and even PCM screen / gauge cluster with no worries.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html

No idea how the poster above felt it messed up their dash -- not possible IMO.
Old 09-06-2016 | 08:22 PM
db997gts
Advanced

I did a fair amount of research on interior cleaning products prior to using 1z cockpit. So many people like yourself raved about that product. So I bought some and proceeded to ruin the finish of my non leather 997.2 dash. That product basically caused a "speckleing effect" on the texture of the dash. It looked bad, I tried to wash it off but the speckles remained. Did further research and found some others who had a similar effect. After a bit of panic and pricing out a new dash, I found aerospace 303. And miraculously returned my dash to normal. Not sure why my dash reacted with 1z that way, but be cautious before use.
Old 09-06-2016 | 08:47 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by db997gts
I did a fair amount of research on interior cleaning products prior to using 1z cockpit. So many people like yourself raved about that product. So I bought some and proceeded to ruin the finish of my non leather 997.2 dash. That product basically caused a "speckleing effect" on the texture of the dash. It looked bad, I tried to wash it off but the speckles remained. Did further research and found some others who had a similar effect. After a bit of panic and pricing out a new dash, I found aerospace 303. And miraculously returned my dash to normal. Not sure why my dash reacted with 1z that way, but be cautious before use.
Were you wearing polarized glasses when seeing the "speckles"? Just curious because I notice that at times and believe it to be the UV protection or perhaps tiny pieces of lint from the microfiber I use -- not noticeable at all when not wearing polarized glasses (and even then, minimal). I've used it on my 911TT leather dash as well as a plethora of cars with traditional dash materials (BMWs, Audis, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, VW, etc). I have not tried it on a Porsche non-leather dash but still have trouble believing this German product reacts unusually with a German-made auto dash. But thank you for sharing your experience -- it is important to get out there.

RE: Aerospace 303, I use this product as well but not on dashes. I like to use it on engine cover plastics and the like. It has more of a darkening effect and slight sheen if that is the look you are after. Bonus because I met the CEO of 303 products on a plane a few years back -- he gave me a bunch of samples. My favorite of their products is "Shower Shield" -- works great in the house on shower tiles, etc. Sorry for the digression.
Old 09-06-2016 | 09:01 PM
db997gts
Advanced

No, was not wearing glasses but was very obvious in direct sunlight or led flash light. It was weird. Aerospace was great, it had a little too much sheen at first but easily reduced with a little buffing with dry microfiber cloth.

Quick Reply: Best dash cleaner/conditioner for non-leather