Sponsored by:

Looking at the next mods....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Looking at the next mods....

DCT flat bottom steering wheel with extra padding, red stripe, stone gray leather (I have full leather package).

Anyone done this wheel? Results?

Numeric shifter/cables. Other than price, reviews vs Function First retro kit. I currently have the factory SSK....how much better are they and which one is best? I will upgrade to the better cables at the same time.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

DCT did mine. I love it

here it is when I got it - sorry no pictures since it has been installed.
(I kept my original just in case)

My car is also full leather but I like the Alacantra better

I also have Numeric Shifter and Cables and love the set up.

I do not have any experience with the others you listed. But like I said it is very nice and the shifting is very smooth.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Very nice!

I want the alcantara but a fellow 997 friend did it and after a year the wear is quite noticeable, so I'm looking at leather.

Good to hear about the Numeric, it's my choice based on engineering, but I know some things are over engineered and no better than a lower cost option. But I did say cost is not necessarily a discriminator.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I love it too. One of the best upgrades as it is seen and touched every time I drive the car. It's real easy to do with a core exchange, downtime was about an hour. The hardest part of the install is releasing the airbag. The release mechanism can be tricky and requires more force from behind than you think.

I had the trim around the airbag painted by Eric at bumperplugs too to get rid of that ugly volcano grey. If you go this route send him the three OEM trim pieces too. The color match is close but not perfect when the OEM pieces are next to the painted one. It's not as bad in real life though, the camera flash is highlighting the silver trim color difference.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM
991turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good they make some nice wheels for gtr too
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by semicycler
I love it too. One of the best upgrades as it is seen and touched every time I drive the car. It's real easy to do with a core exchange, downtime was about an hour. The hardest part of the install is releasing the airbag. The release mechanism can be tricky and requires more force from behind than you think.

I had the trim around the airbag painted by Eric at bumperplugs too to get rid of that ugly volcano grey. If you go this route send him the three OEM trim pieces too. The color match is close but not perfect when the OEM pieces are next to the painted one. It's not as bad in real life though, the camera flash is highlighting the silver trim color difference.

Thanks for the photos....not too concerned about the install as my Indy says $50 to install. At that price I won't even touch it.

Looks really nice! I take it you matched the stitching with the rest of the interior?

Your post alone has pushed me over the edge! I'm gonna do it!
Old 09-01-2016, 12:20 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I did DCT and very happy...

for daily driver maybe pass on alcantara but week end car do it...
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an SSK but out of curiosity bought the numeric. It's not all that different but with the numeric you have options to lower or raise the shift throw plus the quality is second to none. If I had to do it again, I would keep the SSK if it was already there but would upgrade to the numeric from the stock shifter.

Alcantara won't take the abuse like leather, if you have sweaty palm/hands stay away, but can't beat the feel of alcantara if you are a driver. Worth the extra care
Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I did DCT and very happy...

for daily driver maybe pass on alcantara but week end car do it...
Love the alcantara....it is my first choice! But will go with the leather to match the interior and for longevity.

Thanks for the photos! Your car is awesome!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nismosd
I had an SSK but out of curiosity bought the numeric. It's not all that different but with the numeric you have options to lower or raise the shift throw plus the quality is second to none. If I had to do it again, I would keep the SSK if it was already there but would upgrade to the numeric from the stock shifter.

Alcantara won't take the abuse like leather, if you have sweaty palm/hands stay away, but can't beat the feel of alcantara if you are a driver. Worth the extra care
I do have the Porsche SSK as mentioned but it is sloppy IMHO...that's why I'm looking to do the upgrade. Also since the cables break at some time and you basically have to remove the console to get to them, I figured replace the shifter as well. I'm a big proponent of preventive maintenance and have done the water pump, battery, coils, motor mounts before they fail so the cables are next on the list.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:38 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a question via PM if my original steering wheel was still available for possible sale. I don't have it anymore because it was sent back to DCT as part of the core exchange program. Basically I ordered a new wheel exactly like I wanted. They charged me their normal price plus something like a $500 deposit or so (don't remember exactly). When the new wheel arrived I installed it and sent my original wheel back to DCT. They then refunded the core deposit.

This way my downtime was minimal. Plus the ordering to delivery time can be long, as much as a month or so. I'm pretty sure DCT contracts out to Taiwan for all the work. The shipping box definitely came from Asia somewhere.

If you want to do the steering wheel upgrade and keep your original wheel for when going back to stock, you will need to find a used wheel for the core exchange program. Or pay a higher price to keep the one from DCT.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Dallas custom had my wheel back in a week. A month is crazy
Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Little Green
Dallas custom had my wheel back in a week. A month is crazy
I did look at Dallas Custom....their website is well, terrible, and several phone calls went unanswered.

One week, three weeks, five weeks, don't care. Quality first, price and delivery second. I do hear that the Dallas Custom is a couple of hundred less than DCT but if I can't talk to them they can sell it for nothing and I won't buy.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:22 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by semicycler
I had a question via PM if my original steering wheel was still available for possible sale. I don't have it anymore because it was sent back to DCT as part of the core exchange program. Basically I ordered a new wheel exactly like I wanted. They charged me their normal price plus something like a $500 deposit or so (don't remember exactly). When the new wheel arrived I installed it and sent my original wheel back to DCT. They then refunded the core deposit.

This way my downtime was minimal. Plus the ordering to delivery time can be long, as much as a month or so. I'm pretty sure DCT contracts out to Taiwan for all the work. The shipping box definitely came from Asia somewhere.

If you want to do the steering wheel upgrade and keep your original wheel for when going back to stock, you will need to find a used wheel for the core exchange program. Or pay a higher price to keep the one from DCT.
I'll do the core with my current wheel.

Ivan quoted me $975+$25 for shipping for a stone gray leather, stitched, flat bottom, red stripe 997 Sports Wheel. The core deposit is $299.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:07 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

I always wondered why the airbag and trim pieces were different colors... Look much better color matched.

Quick Reply: Looking at the next mods....