Bluetooth options

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth options

2008 997.1

I currently have Tooki and it sucks... no bluetooth for music. Cellphone pairing can be hit or miss.

What are the options available for an upgrade (I'm not referring to a newer car upgrade, LOL)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

The good news for you is that PCM 2.1 is easier to upgrade than PCM 3.0 if you want to keep your factory head unit. You have two reasonable options to consider:

1. Tranzit BLU. This is a popular option because it's not expensive. It's FM modulated, but reports are that the sound quality is good. It shows song track data on the PCM screen. It will stream Bluetooth music. It requires a small, external control unit to be mounted somewhere in the cabin.
2. Mobridge or Denison systems. These are more expensive, but they tap directly into the MOST fiber optic ring. In theory, they should provide better sound quality, but that's subjective. They do offer Bluetooth streaming for music and calls. They also allow you to use the factory phone buttons and phone functionality (phonebook, important numbers, etc.).

I don't think either one is a bad choice. I have a Mobridge system and I like it very much.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Second on mObridge, although I haven't used the Tooki option. In fact I have mObridge on both my 911 and my C55. It integrates nicely with the factory head unit. I only use the Bluetooth for phone though, not audio streaming. I prefer the wired iPod hookup for that. I think I saw one in the classified for $300ish lately?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:46 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

I have the Dension 500. Works well. Think there is one in the for sale now for only $200. People have reported some success with Viseeo Tune2air from my recollection.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Tranzit Blu on my car:

Edit: in the video I had Samsung. Now I have Iphone6. Both work great.

Cost: 100 bucks on EBay. I followed installation thread here on YouTube

Around 2 years. Never failed to connect. Good audio quality.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Racetwin2; 08-30-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely go Tranzit Blu. I had the same Tookie and it kinda sucks. If you go to Amazon you can get the Tranzit Blu for $50.74 currently. It is sold by Amazon, that is important. Other sellers there have them for $70 up to $150. Now go to Best Buy where they sell it installed for $199. Show them the Amazon ad and they will match it. They won't match another seller, but Amazon is considered an "authorized seller". They will sell you their unit for the $50.74 but will charge you for the installation. They want $49 for the installation but I negotiated $25. You may have to pay the $49 unless you're willing to argue a bit that if you were just to buy the Best Buy unit and NOT have it installed they would still charge you the $199 so technically argue that the installation is free. In fact it does say "free installation" on the package. Even though you have internal antennas with the tookie, you may need to buy one of theirs. it rums about $18. Now I stream from my Iphone or iPad. Simple and cheap. One shop wanted $350 for the MOST unit and $350 to install. The sound is VERY good.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for the Tranzit BLU HF. Couldn't be happier. Phone, music, GPS streaming all excellent. Unit is FM modulation NOT FM transmitter! It splices in series with the antenna, so even if you tuned it to a strong frequency and parked under the broadcast tower, the radio signal wouldn't step on the Tranzit.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:19 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
+1 for the Tranzit BLU HF. Couldn't be happier. Phone, music, GPS streaming all excellent. Unit is FM modulation NOT FM transmitter! It splices in series with the antenna, so even if you tuned it to a strong frequency and parked under the broadcast tower, the radio signal wouldn't step on the Tranzit.
What do you press on the PCM to make the phone a source?

Do you set a preset to a station like 88.1??

Also, with 997.2 bluetooth, how would this work? Do I just skip pairing the phone to the PCM or can I have the phone paired to the PCM for telephone calls and it paired to the Tranzit for music streaming.

I've investigated some other Bluetooth streaming options for a 997.2 in the past without success. I just plug the phone in and mount to the windshield with my RAM mount for long drives so I get streaming music and Waze.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:45 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

997.2 BT will connect with phone on WAZE, Google Maps and XM, Pandora without any additional parts.
It interrupts normal tuner, if used.
I use XM on the PCM and WAZE and Google maps for PCM voice.
Apple maps, don't work thru PCM.
Set your apps for BT voice.
WAZE and Google maps can sometimes conflict, so use one or the other.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

I think you have to decide what functionality you want and then decide which product you like. I really like the integration of the Mobridge system with the stock head unit. I like it when caller ID comes up on my navigation screen for an incoming call. I like being able to use the factory phonebook and important numbers functions, along with the factory buttons to activate the phone. Is this worth the extra premium? Maybe yes, maybe no. You have to decide. It was worth it to me.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
What do you press on the PCM to make the phone a source?

Do you set a preset to a station like 88.1??
Yes. A long press of the control button toggles between streaming and radio, but handsfree phone is active either way. In streaming mode you just answer the phone (either with the control button or the phone). In radio mode an incoming call will mute the radio, and caller ID will show on the PCM screen, but to answer you need to switch to the Tranzit's frequency. I have it programmed into the 5 button, as it is dished-out and can be felt without taking my eyes off the road. However I almost never listen to commercial radio.

I'm not familiar with the 997.2 BT.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
997.2 BT will connect with phone on WAZE, Google Maps and XM, Pandora without any additional parts.
It interrupts normal tuner, if used.
I use XM on the PCM and WAZE and Google maps for PCM voice.
Apple maps, don't work thru PCM.
Set your apps for BT voice.
WAZE and Google maps can sometimes conflict, so use one or the other.
Are you saying the 997 screen will display the Waze screen from your mobile device?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 AM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Are you saying the 997 screen will display the Waze screen from your mobile device?
It doesn't. He listed a bunch of irrelevant 997.2 information.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

TrasitbluHF. You won't regret it. I've installed 7 of them in all kind of cars, including 3 997.1 and 1 997.2. They work great for phone, music, and nav.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
TrasitbluHF. You won't regret it. I've installed 7 of them in all kind of cars, including 3 997.1 and 1 997.2. They work great for phone, music, and nav.
+911

Installed on both my aging lexus' as well.

Unbelievable value and very good quality for the money, not to mention simple install imo

Quick Reply: Bluetooth options