Sponsored by:

Oil in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Devildistance
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Throttle Body

Took off the air intake housing to change filter. Decided to clean throttle body while I was there. Not very dirty to start with. No oil on butterfly valve but when I opened the valve to clean around it a noticed a small amount of oil behind the valve. wasn't coating the walls or anything drastic. Just this small linear accumulation on the floor of the housing behind the valve. Car is only 5 mo old to me and has always had the same sound. Slight whine that is way more noticeable inside the car than out, that I have just attributed to "Porsche" sound. But no smoke from exhaust and no strong vacuum noted when removing oil cap while car is running. Oil level has maintained 1 bar below Max with every fuel fill-up. Do I just have the very start to an AOS failure here? Sorry I know AOS has been recently touched on but didn't want to hijack a previous thread. Car is going into a independent shop that has a great reputation here in Vegas on Thurs to repair a torn outer CV boot on the front passenger wheel. I plan on doing my own spark plugs, oil, filters and transaxle oil change myself but a CV boot is above my pay grade. Not sure if I should just tell them to change AOS at the same time... Its a 07 Targa 4S, 93k mi on car but complete engine replacement at 63k so only 30k on current engine. From what I was told by Porsche of SLC the components attached to engine were not changed so guessing AOS is 93k mi old

Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildistance
Took off the air intake housing to change filter. Decided to clean throttle body while I was there. Not very dirty to start with. No oil on butterfly valve but when I opened the valve to clean around it a noticed a small amount of oil behind the valve. wasn't coating the walls or anything drastic. Just this small linear accumulation on the floor of the housing behind the valve. Car is only 5 mo old to me and has always had the same sound. Slight whine that is way more noticeable inside the car than out, that I have just attributed to "Porsche" sound. But no smoke from exhaust and no strong vacuum noted when removing oil cap while car is running. Oil level has maintained 1 bar below Max with every fuel fill-up. Do I just have the very start to an AOS failure here? Sorry I know AOS has been recently touched on but didn't want to hijack a previous thread. Car is going into a independent shop that has a great reputation here in Vegas on Thurs to repair a torn outer CV boot on the front passenger wheel. I plan on doing my own spark plugs, oil, filters and transaxle oil change myself but a CV boot is above my pay grade. Not sure if I should just tell them to change AOS at the same time... Its a 07 Targa 4S, 93k mi on car but complete engine replacement at 63k so only 30k on current engine. From what I was told by Porsche of SLC the components attached to engine were not changed so guessing AOS is 93k mi old

I would not worry too much, just clean it out. If your AOS starts to fail you will see (lots) of smoke on the exhaust and/ or difficulties with removing the oil filler cap. I would plan replacing the AOS when your starter and/or alternator/ battery cable start to fail. The AOS is a nice DIY job I would say.

Quick Reply: Oil in Throttle Body