Sport chrono option

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 PM
LennyJ
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport chrono option

I need a little help:
I am looking at an '09 C4S, manual trans, w/o Sport Chrono. I haven't seen very many without the sport chrono pkg. Is it unusual to not have the Sport Chrono on this model, and should I be concerned about the resale value?
Thanks in advance to all who reply!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:43 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it with a manual. Nice to have with PDKs for launch control. Otherwise really just a wart with lap timer and some aggressive shifting for PDK.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:40 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 C4S manual without sport chrono. Thought about adding the sport software/button but the times I've put my PASM "on" I've not really liked the jarring nature compared to "normal" for everyday driving.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why people always say not to worry about sport chrono on an M6. I have it on mine and I notice a big difference with it on. My throttle sensitivity increases and the car comes alive. No it doesnt add horse power but the feeling of the car being woken up feels great. This is coming from me. Im sure everyone else has a different opnion. This a must have option for me.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

I like sport chrono in my manual 2010 C4S. I leave sport mode off for cruising around town. It's somewhat relaxed - easy to drive in traffic. I turn it on for the different throttle mapping (and I thought I remember reading more aggressive low throttle ignition advance as well) which makes it much more aggressive when I want to go fast.

How is the throttle mapping in a manual car without sport chrono set up? Is it in between the two options with sport chrono or always the equivalent of sport chrono on or...?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:56 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

While I was not looking for it, mine came with sport chrono - an option on base 997.1 C2's here in Aus.

The increased throttle sensitivity makes heal and toeing much easier in every day driving with light to moderate brake application. While this is arguably unnecessary away from the track, the sound of the throttle blipping and overrun when downshifting is part of the intrinsic joy of driving these cars.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:12 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati_John
How is the throttle mapping in a manual car without sport chrono set up? Is it in between the two options with sport chrono or always the equivalent of sport chrono on or...?
I test drove an 09 C2S with no Sport Chrono and an 08 C4S with Sport Chrono back to back before I purchased my '11 C4S with it and there's no in between. Its off.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Interesting - thanks. I did some digging and found this: http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/10...f/2010-911.pdf

Porsche says (page 21):
The optional Sport Chrono Package Plus feature is available as an option with either the manual gearbox or PDK transmission.
This enhancement package brings specific control maps to the engine management system and Porsche Stability Management (PSM), as well as to Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and PDK on vehicles so equipped.
The revised engine control maps strongly favor performance over comfort and provide even quicker engine response, not only on deployment but also on release of the throttle. This helps the PDK shift even more aggressively.
Stability thresholds allow more lateral slip before the ABS and PSM intervene. On those cars with PASM, that system switches to its firmer setting to provide more agility in cornering. However, in some instances, such as on wet pavement, a softer suspension setting can be advantageous so the driver using Sport Chrono can press the PASM button to return to the normal damper settings.
The Sport Chrono package also includes a digital/analog stopwatch and lap-counting function.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

you must have sport chrono plus with PDK models. just FYI..totally ruins vehicle without it and it SHOWS in the resale.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:59 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry snake eyes, nothing is ruined without Chrono on these cars, they run and perform great and hold their value just like all other cars.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Sport Chrono and a 6MT on my 997.2S. I don't prefer the revised throttle mapping, so I rarely use it.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 410 Posts

Don't know if impacts resale value. Have pdk and difference with sport chrono in suspension and shifts in auto are very different and totally positive. Suspension and manual mode still much better than non-sport. Course when pse engaged and hear the singing it's perfection.
Don't know about manual but would expect the suspension change makes it worth it.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

not sure about resale value but I love this option

this is one of the 1st things I do when I leave my Garage it is just a different animal in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

No one has mentioned yet that having the sport chrono option from the factory adds the ability to change several of the car's settings and functions that otherwise would have to be done by a tech.

I thoroughly enjoy having the sport mode on my '09 C2. I have used the sport-plus setting twice in four years of ownership.

Launch control is pretty cool, too.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a Manual you really only use sport chrono for track driving, but it's a huge benefit to have on the track. You get a remapped throttle that is better for heel-toe, a hard rev limiter so you can hold the engine at the redline and just bounce off the rev limiter without losing power, and you more fully disable traction control when you disable PSM at the same time as activating sport mode. If you don't plan to ever drive an autocross or track day event then you will likely never use sport mode.

And btw some of these responses here are confusing. Sport mode aka Sport Chrono does nothing to your suspension except if your car has PASM then activating sport mode will automatically switch PASM from normal to sport setting, but they are separate and independent options on the car.

Quick Reply: Sport chrono option