Sponsored by:

Sport chrono option

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Heh. Not sure when I took things personally, but Ok. My spreading of nonsense and misinformation started with this: So let's analyze the 997.2 manual that you've linked. On page 68 under Sport Mode it says: Sport mode A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport or Sport Plus mode is switched on. PSM interventions are later than in Normal mode; the vehicle can be maneuverd with greater agility at its performance limits, without dispensing with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations. And that simple statement pretty much backs up exactly what I said. You said you do not believe that is true but it's right there in the Porsche manual that you linked. So I'm not spreading any nonsense or misinformation there, although I did also add what I thought might be the specific differences in the thresholds at which PSM will intervene: And let me point out I did indicate that I may not be right when I said "IF I recall correctly"... and I added that this could be confirmed from Porsche or on older threads here, but IF I remember right it's something like PSM will intervene in normal mode when 2 wheels lose traction but in sport mode not until all 4 lose traction. Yes, I did recall incorrectly and only the front wheels are relevant. So in normal mode if 1 front wheel enters ABS control range then PSM will intervene but in sport mode PSM will not intervene unless both front wheels enter ABS control range. Doesn't matter what the rear wheels are doing, they can be spinning all over the road apparently from the way the manual explains it: The following functions stabilize the vehicle in emergency situations, even with PSM switched off: –When PSM is off, the vehicle is stabilized as soon as one of the two front wheels enters the ABS control range.–When PSM is off and Sport mode is on, the vehicle is stabilized as soon as both front wheels enter the ABS control range. One-sided spinning of the wheels is prevented, even with PSM switched off. I was using the generalization that this happens when the wheel loses traction because I thought it was explained to me that PSM can activate the ABS in order to regain stability so even when PSM is off it will still intervene when it determines that 1 (or 2) of the front wheels has passed some certain threshold and it needs to brake the wheel and activate ABS to regain traction. You're saying that this is not correct though and that when PSM is off it will never intervene until the driver hits the brakes hard enough to activate ABS, doesn't matter whether the car is in normal mode or sport mode. This isn't how I remembered it working but now that I've reread it in the manual it does sound like you are right about that and my recollection of the difference in the thresholds at which PSM will intervene when turned off was not correct. So yeah, thanks for taking me to school! (Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or taking it personally)

Damn ladies chill out.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Hunt3R for that info. I was wondering about the separateness of the two. So it doesn't matter what type of engine is in the car (3.6 vs. 3.8)?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

some cars need to have the sport chrono for performance purposes but it's not as important in a manual car. I prefer not to have the wart as it makes the dash cleaner and more classic.

PDK car you want it
Turbo car you want it for the extra overboost hp/tq.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Thanks Hunt3R for that info. I was wondering about the separateness of the two. So it doesn't matter what type of engine is in the car (3.6 vs. 3.8)?
Nope, the engine you have does not affect how sport mode works. It gives you the same functionality on both the S and base model 911's.

Quick Reply: Sport chrono option