Sponsored by:

Sport chrono option

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I'm the weird one, I purposely set out looking for a non S C2.

I wanted a 'No Stories" car that was owned by a gray haired LA business type guy that daily drove and routinely traded his cars in every 5 years
and always had serviced at a Porsche dealer which I finally found in LA.
In fact the same salesman that sold me my 997 sold it to the original owner 5 years earlier.

Not saying all 'S' cars have stories, but if you want one 'S' is where you usually start.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
I do not believe this is true. From what I gather:

(psm on) Regular mode = PSM fully on
(psm on) Sport = PSM lets you slide a tad
(psm on) Sport Plus = PSM lets you slide a tad more than sport
PSM off = PSM lets you slide until u hit the brakes hard enough to activate ABS.

To keep it simple, just keep PSM turned on on the road, and turn it off when you have lots of room for error.
The difference is at what threshold PSM will intervene because you can never "fully" disable PSM. If I recall correctly...

(PSM off) Normal mode = PSM will intervene once 2 or more wheels lose traction.
(PSM off) Sport mode = PSM will not intervene unless all 4 wheels lose traction.

This can be confirmed in older threads here as well as directly from Porsche.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 AM
GoCatGo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My short-time impression is that running in Sport Mode makes the 997.2 S respond like the totally analog 986 Boxster S I traded for it. With Sport off, it's cushier, much slower to respond to throttle, especially starting off, when the non-Sport setting hesitates a full couple of seconds before engaging the transmission. It reminds me of driving my mother's Chevy station wagon -- really unresponsive getting in and out of the driveway.
My wife likes it that way and I won't argue with her, but when she's not in the car, I usually push the Sport button so it feels like a Porsche again.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 AM
1990nein
Pro

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
you must have sport chrono plus with PDK models. just FYI..totally ruins vehicle without it and it SHOWS in the resale.
pretty much.

I don't drive my car at all, ever without sport or sport plus turned on. car is too lazy feeling otherwise. and indeed it does show on resale, at least for cars with PDK.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

I just picked up a '08 C2S 6MT with Sport Chrono Plus and PSE. I specifically sought out a car with Sport Chrono. The throttle response in Sport mode is night and day; whoever says they can't notice it is clearly not in touch with the car. I find myself driving in Sport mode ~90% of the time (with Sport PASM off), especially since it opens up the PSE. I agree, the dash chrono is a gimmick unless you're on the track, but I think it looks awesome and definitely adds to the overall feel of the car.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Sorry but you recall incorrectly. Check the user manual page 66.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...rrera_PCNA.pdf
I don't see anything useful about this on page 66, however pages 64, 67, & 68 all have info about how "PSM interventions take place later in sport mode than in normal mode" and it further details:
(PSM off) Normal mode = PSM will intervene once 1 front wheel loses traction.
(PSM off) Sport mode = PSM will not intervene unless both front wheels lose traction.

So do you "believe it to be true" now that you have read it directly from the 997.2 manual that you linked?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Take a decent test drive with one that has it. drive half with and half without sport mode, you will learn quickly if it matters to you. I, personally would not buy one without it if the car has PDK. I can't speak to a manual.

I don't use sport all of the time, but I use it often enough. On;ly used sport plus a couple of times.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Double_J
Instructor

SC is a must-have for PDK, not so critical with a 6MT.

The revised throttle mapping is nice but if the lack of SC gets you a better price on a 6MT, I wouldn't make that option a sticking point.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:46 PM
1990nein
Pro

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-26-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Sport mode vs. regular mode makes a huge difference in throttle response, which I prefer for heel-toe driving. More responsive but (so long as wearing proper footwear) you can still be very precise too.

I only have it non-sport mode if in stop/go traffic or a school zone :-)

Then again, the car isn't my daily driver. I can understand for someone who is taking it in heavy traffic most of the time the sport mode may not be that helpful.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

I'm glad I got you to to read the manual, but it seems you are reading impaired.

I see you completely changed what you said, but why do you keep making up this "wheels lose traction" stuff? You were misinformed, and that's okay. No need to spread misinformation.
I indicated before that I may not be right about the specifics and was trying to recall from memory and I don't understand why you're picking at my use of losing traction to "wheel enters abs control range". Same thing, no? BTW why you mad, bro?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 PM
1990nein
Pro

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-26-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Do you want me to keep taking you to school? Reply yet again, thx.
Heh. Not sure when I took things personally, but Ok. My spreading of nonsense and misinformation started with this:

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
you more fully disable traction control when you disable PSM at the same time as activating sport mode.
I do not believe this is true.
The difference is at what threshold PSM will intervene because you can never "fully" disable PSM.
So let's analyze the 997.2 manual that you've linked. On page 68 under Sport Mode it says:

Sport mode
A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport or Sport Plus mode is switched on. PSM interventions are later than in Normal mode; the vehicle can be maneuverd with greater agility at its performance limits, without dispensing with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations.

And that simple statement pretty much backs up exactly what I said. You said you do not believe that is true but it's right there in the Porsche manual that you linked. So I'm not spreading any nonsense or misinformation there, although I did also add what I thought might be the specific differences in the thresholds at which PSM will intervene:

If I recall correctly...

(PSM off) Normal mode = PSM will intervene once 2 or more wheels lose traction.
(PSM off) Sport mode = PSM will not intervene unless all 4 wheels lose traction.
And let me point out I did indicate that I may not be right when I said "IF I recall correctly"... and I added that this could be confirmed from Porsche or on older threads here, but IF I remember right it's something like PSM will intervene in normal mode when 2 wheels lose traction but in sport mode not until all 4 lose traction.

Sorry but you recall incorrectly. Check the user manual page 66.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...rrera_PCNA.pdf
Yes, I did recall incorrectly and only the front wheels are relevant. So in normal mode if 1 front wheel enters ABS control range then PSM will intervene but in sport mode PSM will not intervene unless both front wheels enter ABS control range. Doesn't matter what the rear wheels are doing, they can be spinning all over the road apparently from the way the manual explains it:

The following functions stabilize the vehicle in emergency situations, even with PSM switched off:
      One-sided spinning of the wheels is prevented, even with PSM switched off.

I was using the generalization that this happens when the wheel loses traction because I thought it was explained to me that PSM can activate the ABS in order to regain stability so even when PSM is off it will still intervene when it determines that 1 (or 2) of the front wheels has passed some certain threshold and it needs to brake the wheel and activate ABS to regain traction. You're saying that this is not correct though and that when PSM is off it will never intervene until the driver hits the brakes hard enough to activate ABS, doesn't matter whether the car is in normal mode or sport mode.

This isn't how I remembered it working but now that I've reread it in the manual it does sound like you are right about that and my recollection of the difference in the thresholds at which PSM will intervene when turned off was not correct. So yeah, thanks for taking me to school! (Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or taking it personally)

Quick Reply: Sport chrono option