Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratcheting Wrenches - Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my gear wrenches that I bought from Sears. I have all 4 sets SAE and metric fixed head and swivel head. I use them all the time and have not had any problems with them in the last 4 or 5 years.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leverage tool

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...240,41067&ap=1
Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I use the Gearwrench ones that are the twisted version, so instead of your hand putting all the force on the thin edge of the wrench, it goes on the wider flat part. Mine have the angling end and are the type that go on one way to loosen and the other way to tighten. Had them for years and used them for tons of jobs without any issues. Have even slipped a big pipe over the end to get more leverage on a really tough fastener. I also have a Gearwrench tap and die set and broke a couple of taps - they mailed me replacements at no charge, no questions asked.

I think I got my wrenches from Northern tool using oneof their coupons.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 AM
AMG5PT4
Rennlist Member

EZ-Red extra long metric and SAE wrenches are fantastic and give the torque needed for tough fasteners via the long handles.

I wouldn't trust a China Freight wrench working on a car. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I use the Gearwrench ones that are the twisted version, so instead of your hand putting all the force on the thin edge of the wrench, it goes on the wider flat part.
Wow, those are beautiful. I was applying torque to the slim edge of a wrench and I am embarrassed to say, it hurts! I used two leather shop gloves as a cushion.

I should have picked those up but I didn't see or know about them. I stopped in a a Sears tool outlet store in Norristown PA (across from Harbor Freight!) and picked up a 20 piece (SAE and Metric) GearWrench set of wratcheting wrenches...... for $50.... great deal IMO. They sold this brand in the same rack as their Craftsman brand, both with lifetime warranty, but GW was cheaper! Sears has become an odd place.

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc...1&blockType=G1

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
I use the Gearwrench ones that are the twisted version, so instead of your hand putting all the force on the thin edge of the wrench, it goes on the wider flat part. Mine have the angling end and are the type that go on one way to loosen and the other way to tighten. Had them for years and used them for tons of jobs without any issues. Have even slipped a big pipe over the end to get more leverage on a really tough fastener. I also have a Gearwrench tap and die set and broke a couple of taps - they mailed me replacements at no charge, no questions asked.

I think I got my wrenches from Northern tool using oneof their coupons.

My son gave me this set years ago it's a fixed combo set
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Bruce, I have that same straight GearWrench set as well. I keep them in a wrench roll in the bottom drawer for when I need to have a 2nd ratcheting wrench of the same size or for use in a really tight place where the twisted versions won't fit. There's not much I can't tackle with my current collection, but occasionally I do come across something I don't have and need to add - this week, it's wobble extensions

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Wow, those are beautiful. I was applying torque to the slim edge of a wrench and I am embarrassed to say, it hurts! I used two leather shop gloves as a cushion.

I should have picked those up but I didn't see or know about them. I stopped in a a Sears tool outlet store in Norristown PA (across from Harbor Freight!) and picked up a 20 piece (SAE and Metric) GearWrench set of wratcheting wrenches...... for $50.... great deal IMO. They sold this brand in the same rack as their Craftsman brand, both with lifetime warranty, but GW was cheaper! Sears has become an odd place.

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-20pc...1&blockType=G1

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Ratcheting Wrenches - Help