Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit me

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Whatever body shop you pick, be prepared for the phone call that the body shop found much more damage after they removed the bumper. Happens every time to boost the repair estimate. I saw one that went from $5000 $12,000 after taking the car apart to see the extent of the damage. I just had the same thing happen to my son's Infiniti. Small dent less than your pick went from $1100 to $1800 saying it needed an additional bracket and more time in finishing then they first wrote. Allstate wrote it for $800 when they did their estimate on sight. Good luck. BTW Don't go through your insurance company. Report it to the guys' insurance that hit you. Not your fault so no need to give it to your insurance company. Keep yours out of it. Take it from me, my wife has 40 years in auto, property damage as an adjuster for Allstate.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Dude, I know your upset.... but that is really minimal. Even if expensive, it is minimal..... most likely.

Those parts are pop off / pop on. I've removed that bumper and main cross bar, the side panels, the mufflers....... really simple stuff. No bending, no banging, no putty, no crap. You will have a perfect car back. Painting a Porsche bumper is NO DIFFERENT than painting a Camry bumper.

Beware your Porsche dealer's recommendation. The local P dealer here sent me to his friend's shop... even keeps their cards on the service desk.... and they did an awful job.... took the car back etc etc....

If you live near a major metro area, there will be one or two high-end, go to shops that will do the work. Macster noted Porsche-approved..... I didn;t know Porsche had this service... if so, just call the Porsche NA toll free number in Atlanta and they will point you to a repair shop on their list... if they have such a requirement. I will not trust a dealer's recommendation.

Regarding manufacturer approved places, this is usually a requirement of makes that use unique construction methods such as Jaguar where they use aluminum and adhesives, or Lamborghini that uses carbon fiber or Ferrari that well.... um ... require great skills because they send parts that don't fit and have to be re-worked on an English Wheel (no kidding).

Good luck, your biggest issue is finding a good shop. Ask them if they do "engine out" repair work meaning they do mechanical as well as body... but honestly you do not need special skills for this repair.

Lastly, your insurance company will have a list of approved shops where the insurance company will warrant the work. I took my wife's Lexus to a shop 1/2 owned by the local Lexus dealer who I thought would be good.... they sucked so badly.. it was horrific..... but they were not a shop approved by my insurance company so in the end, I was stuck with sub-optimal work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Someone hit me