Sponsored by:

Tire noise: Ventus V12 Evo vs Pilot Super Sport vs Extreme Contact DW

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:22 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
I think the conti dw's are quieter than the MPSS's but both are relatively quiet tires compared to other loud ones I've had. The MPSS is the superior tire for performance but the Conti DW is better for the street because they have softer sidewalls and take bumps easier.
^^^ i concur with all stated above ^^^
Old 08-25-2016, 11:12 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have put some time into researching which set I am going to buy next. Right now I am running Hankook Evo2s and the rubber on the front tires has hardened to the point that you can knock on it and it sounds like you're knocking at someones front door. The rear still feels soft. I find the noise to be relatively high and the rubber is worn to 4-5 mm. I recently adjusted my tire pressure to Partial Load (33psi/39psi) this helped with road noise and comfort a bit.

Michelin is expensive and better all around tire but they wear faster than the Evo2s and Continental DW, also they are on back order. Based on the research that I have done, I will be putting in an order for the Continental ExtremeContact DW. From the reviews, they seem like the better tire for someone that daily drives and might want the seldom or occasional track day.

Last edited by frankyluis23; 08-25-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've ran all of those tires that you mention on my old 996 C4S, they are all good tires, but I prefer the Bridgestone S04's which I now have on my 997S. Maybe it's the RWD versus 4WD but they do seam quieter and as grippy. The S04's are available for a great price at both Tirerack and Costco.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:22 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I've had all the of the brands....but on different cars.

C2S - MPSS; still quiet after ~4K miles with a few track sessions. These replaced the Pirelli concrete tires which were loud as hell after the same period.

DWs- Mini Cooper JCW, awesome tire for a light car. Put 60k on these babies and were as quiet as the day I bought the...although hard to hear anything with a big turbo and aggressive exhaust.

Ventus- burned a set off my SRT8 in about 3k miles.

Everyone will have an opinion, just like belly buttons.

Quick Reply: Tire noise: Ventus V12 Evo vs Pilot Super Sport vs Extreme Contact DW