Tire noise: Ventus V12 Evo vs Pilot Super Sport vs Extreme Contact DW

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Tire noise: Ventus V12 Evo vs Pilot Super Sport vs Extreme Contact DW

Hi folks

I have Ventus V12 Evo on my C4S now and need new rears. I'm not too sure how loud my tires are as I have no frame of reference. I want a tire that lasts and performs of course, but noise is also an issue.

These are the tires I'm considering. I didn't want to mix different tires in the rear but now that I think about it why not?

Any input on the noise of these three tires as they age to the mid and then to the end of their lives?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:00 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Many different opinions on this, many people will tell you not to mix tires, I am one of those people, why would you want to compromise performance and braking?

Michelins are very loud to me, like shouting to your passenger on a rough road surface loud.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4 new (500 miles) MPSS's and I don't hear any noise. Love this tire.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't mix tires, specially on C4, not the best idea to have different grip from front to rear.

Now, tire noise is difficult to answer, as one must have all of those 3 tires to compare and they must all be brand new. I went from PS2 to PSS and noise was a bit better, BUT that was old vs. new, so who knows. Generally, the more aggressive a tire is, be noisier.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree not to mix tires but i would recommend the Pilot Super Sports. I had the Extreme Contact on another Porsche and I got rid of them due to noise. Jump on TireRack website. Lot of reviews on each of the tires with a noise category score.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the conti dw's are quieter than the MPSS's but both are relatively quiet tires compared to other loud ones I've had. The MPSS is the superior tire for performance but the Conti DW is better for the street because they have softer sidewalls and take bumps easier.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:44 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got 19 inch S-04s and love them. I was on Conti Sport Contacts on my 18 inch wheels and liked those as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

May I suggest you simply turn up the volume on your sound system?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
May I suggest you simply turn up the volume on your sound system?
Or better yet get a louder exhaust system
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by anonymoususer
Or better yet get a louder exhaust system
That too!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Outside of the mixing tires question I'm really trying to find out opinions on noise between the three tires. I don't know how much noise I'm getting now and won't know until I replace them. Sadly the Tirerack website reviews don't have a lot of data on noise when tires get older.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought an 06 C2S last year with 3 year old Nspec Pirelli rosso. When I bought MPSS last month the car is now 10 db quieter. Old tires are noisier than new ones. I love the Michelins.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

For the most part, ZR rated tires are simply going to get noisy after 7K miles or so. Not that they aren't noisy even when new, but obviously they get worse with more wear. I really can't imagine that noise levels would vary that much between brands as ZR rated tires are what they are.

I've become a straight up Michelin guy over the years versus Pirelli's & Continental's. Never tried any Dunlop's or others.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Outside of the mixing tires question I'm really trying to find out opinions on noise between the three tires. I don't know how much noise I'm getting now and won't know until I replace them. Sadly the Tirerack website reviews don't have a lot of data on noise when tires get older.
Unless someone has run ALL three tires when brand new, it's impossible to tell, sorry. NEW is quieter than old, that's why most see an improvement changing brands as it's newer.

Also, the more aggressive the tire, the worse the noise. Not that it was intended, but it was NOT a factor in the design. When a GT tire is developed, they care more about tire comfort and noise than when a Max Performance tire is developed. Simple as that.

So, what I recommend is for you to replace the brand, you're not happy with it. Try Extreme Contact or S04, and read their comparison to MPSS on tire rack review. I think DW/S04 was rated as one of the more comfortable tires, so that might be a better option for you. MPSS is a great tire, but it's more expensive, and mostly sold out everywhere and noise level was similar to PS2 I replaced it with.

In this Tirerack review, they rate Conti DW having lowest noise and most comfort: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The ExtremeContact DW paid a dividend in the ride and comfort side of everyday driving, having a clear advantage in overall ride and noise characteristics. The Potenza S-04 Pole Position and P Zero Nero GT followed with very similar overall characteristics. Both were firm without being harsh. The Ventus V12 evo2 rounded out the group with a slightly firmer ride and a bit more overall road noise than the others.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76

In this Tirerack review, they rate Conti DW having lowest noise and most comfort: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Hey Alex thanks for finding that for me! I had Extremecontact on my Mercedes SL55 and they didn't hold up too well. But I had my foot in it!!!

Quick Reply: Tire noise: Ventus V12 Evo vs Pilot Super Sport vs Extreme Contact DW