Sponsored by:

Gears dropping instead of sliding after PDK service

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by D3RP
Jerky = Firm = Correct. In sport and sport+.
Correct, at least as I see it. And I don't know that "jerky" is the best description. In sport plus manual with no "upgrade", think snapping your fingers for the shifts. Crisp and instant. With the update, that instant seems reduced to more of a process. Yes, it's much smoother but it feels slower and a better match for the Panamera than the 911 imo.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
but you know what its better I bet somehow.. the old jerky shifts were artificial and Chris harris didn't like them.
In Sport+, I want smooth shifts, as smooth as the machine can give me. Why? It's related to this:

Originally Posted by rbennett
I guess I watch too much F1, in car cameras show the smoothest paddle shifting that it doesn't even affect the on screen G-Meter.
When I'm using Sport+, it's because I'm on track. What I love about PDK, over a traditional manual, is its ability to upshift without upsetting the chassis at all (and downshift without human error potentially upsetting the chassis - most of the time I can get my heel-toe downshifts smooth, but I'm human). That means I no longer have to short-shift to avoid shifting in a turn, over a bump, or the like. I get smooth and effective power delivery regardless. That's fantastic. I appreciate the fun of feeling the shifts on the street, and those two desires are definitely in conflict. But there's certainly a reason, and a performance oriented one, for wanting smooth shifts out of PDK (at least some of the time).

Serge, I'm sorry I'm no help on figuring out why your car's behavior changed. Hopefully it's something as simple as the calibration being skipped and can be sorted out.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:16 PM
Serge997
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Update. Checked level at the required 30-40c range and sure enough it was low. The "quick" turnaround at the dealer in FL summer did not give enough time for case to cool off. A top up later and the shifting is smooth again.

I have to thank the team at Parkhaus1 Miami for their time to look into it and having the patience to explain the procedure to me with PIWIS on hand. I bought a Porsche to experience the history and crasftmanship. The "just drop credit card and keys and don't ask questions" attitude of certain dealers around here is troubling. Alvaro and team are 1A.

Last edited by Serge997; 08-27-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Gears dropping instead of sliding after PDK service