What do you expect for $100K?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
The same "is it worth it?" to a $250K Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc...could be asked.
I honestly think the 911 is right where it should be in terms of price, quality, and performance. A 911 is a "total package" sports car.
A loaded up Z51 Stingray is $75k+ and it has cheap leather, horrible paint and low rent materials. Every time a "new" Corvette gets introduced, the same old idiotic statement is made that it's as good as a 911. In 30 years of being around the Porsche culture, I have never seen a Porsche owner that buys new 911's ever be lured back to a Corvette because it's a true replacement for a 911.
Actually, a few hard core track rats I know moved to Corvettes simply because they are way cheaper for tracking.... parts are cheap, swapping parts for fun and performance is cheap....... just a cheaper car overall to own and way less to fix when you slide into a wall.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Also check this out if you need a back seat!
http://www.parkplaceltd.com/used-car...AR5EFXDM260153

maybe
Ha. Back seat! That's funny.
I'm 5'10" 175 and can't sit behind myself. I doubt my kids could either.
---
$1ooK car dealership? What do I expect? Polite, clean, reasonable hours, maybe some weekend service, service advisers that speak English and communicate clearly. Fair pricing and backing up their work. Timely repair time.

Took my Ex5 in for an oil change. 2oo kms after that service it threw the 1st and 2nd connecting rod bearings.
...59 days later I picked up my barely cleaned, fresh engine truck. I commented to the service manager that for the time at the dealership, they perhaps should have returned my car detailed like a new delivery. Service manager said they did not make enough money on the $25k warrantied repair. Perhaps thinking that I did not appreciated all the hard work that they did.
He said to me " Right now, I just want to punch you in the face".
I was not expecting that from my $1ooK dealership.
Doubt I will be visiting that monogopoly BMW franchise again. They have the largest 3 dealers within 60 minutes of my house.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Real world consequence from any employee saying that is job dismissal. I have fired people for alot less than that. Having the customer hear a statement like that is inexcusable. You should have requested the manager and owner immediately and reported that statement with legal action if the matter was not properly addressed. Your bill would have been dismissed as well as a proper apology.

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Doubt I will be visiting that monogopoly BMW franchise again. They have the largest 3 dealers within 60 minutes of my house.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

It was covered under warranty. It was the manager, in the parking lot with no witnesses.
I did call him out on it. If he had have taken a swing at me, I would have gone down like a fifa soccer player. I have shared the story with 1oo's of people. From the private ski club, to the private golf clubs. Dealer principal was aware of my 59 day plight and had no interest. I therefor did not choose to finish the experience up with him. Though, through all out mutual friends, I'm sure he has heard. Perhaps someone would get reprimanded or fired.

Not what one expects from a $1ook dealership.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Really?? I am in rural Central Pa. and most of my doctor friends pay $150k easy on their cars. It's nothing to see these guys buying a $130k MB every other year. $200k+ salaries are not out of the ordinary at all. Everyone I know that lives around me has at least a combined household income of $180K. People that buy Porsches in my area are enthusiast and use them as fun cars and not a daily driver. We have a Carrera GT in our little PCA chapter that regularly goes on organized cruises and we live in the sticks.
Well, I guess it depends how willing you are to leverage yourself.

Buying $130k MBs every two years when you make $200k is mentally retarded if you ask me, but I guess everyone has their prerogative. Also, you may live in a nice neighborhood where your neighbors are successful top-of-their-class individuals. Run of the mill means something else to me.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Actually, a few hard core track rats I know moved to Corvettes simply because they are way cheaper for tracking.... parts are cheap, swapping parts for fun and performance is cheap....... just a cheaper car overall to own and way less to fix when you slide into a wall.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
My twin brother just ordered The C7 stingray this Monday. 100.000 $. Exactly in the colors in the picture below. Black wheels, red callipers and red interior. Carbon roof and hood. Sport chassi and lots of equipment. Track recorder and HUD. Dry sump. Red nappa leather. 460 Hp & 8 speed automatic with speed shift. Straight pipes on track mode. Great car and bang for buck. But it's a two seater. Depreciation is massive. Here in Europe it's still the odd sports car.

On the plus side it's more or less track ready and easy to change camber etc. There was even a section in the manual how to prepare it for the track. Even driving it in for the track (brakes etc) Tuning parts are dead cheap if we compare with Porsche. New intake with a 7" high flow filter was 400 bucks. Stiffer sway bars 300 bucks. The list goes on.

All good but time will tell if it was a good choice. Right now my brother don't care and I think thats the point. I don't think many people do when buying new 100K cars. If I had the money I would do the same and never look back. Get everything exactly like I want.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Twin brother seems smart. What he looses in depreciation, he will $ave in por$che $ervice and part$.

A reasonably equipped Vette, has a strong draw.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Vettes are great cars but on the track they are expensive too. As a minimum they need brakes and cooling.

Of course a Vette and a 997 are very different cars. One is really a 997 fan for its driving dynamics, not its power.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For $100K, I don't expect much for a 911, like Dennis said in his post earlier, for $100K I expect a nicely equipped Cayman or a Boxster. As long as people keep paying for them, they will continue to go up every year. All these special limited edition 911's (GT3RS, 991R, etc) are sold out before they even make it to the showroom.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Can't believe I agree with quadcammer, but making $200,000 and buying a $100K car is crazy. And if truth be told I live in the world of doctors that make that much (actually more) and I have not met anyone who has a new 911. One of my friends bought a used 997 turbo, another used 991, and me a CPO 997. The only ones with new Porsches have boxsters. It is all in your priorities. There is a resident who got a gt4.

As far as service I expect what Porsche delivers, they pick my cars up, leave me a loaner, bring my car to me when its done, all cleaned and shined and smelling nice.

And quality, my 996 and 997 are way above the Pontiac and Ford I own. Watch the how its made episode of the 991 and you will see how much they go through to stop it from ever rusting. Not something Ford, Audi, and BMW do.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

I recall a similar thread recently about the Mustang GT 350R versus 911's. You're either all in in buying a 911 - regardless of new or used - because that is simply what you want. There is no consideration for a Vette, Stang, Camaro etc. Those are all great modern cars that have come a long way over the past 10 years in particular. But I just can't imagine someone sitting back and thinking, I really wanted a 911 but bought a Vette/Stang/Camaro because of "x".

Of course this might just be me.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100K expectations

I expect quality, performance, fun and professional sales/service.

I've owned a lot of corvettes and loved every one of them. I'm on my first P car and love it. C6-C7 Z06 Corvette is a bigger bang for the buck but I personally think they pale in comparison to P cars in quality and professional sales/service.

I recently tried to get a test drive in a new C7 Z06 and was turned away at every dealership in my area. I don't get turned away at the P dealership.

C7 Corvettes have 8spd auto issues. C7 Corvettes have paint issues. The C7 Z06 has overheating issues on the track and more so with 8spd auto than 7spd manual. Customers are waiting to see if the 2017 Z06 has a cooling fix. 2015-2016 Z06 owners will be on their own to fix it. How's that for 100k?

Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^ Good insight right there.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by austx911S
C7 Corvettes have 8spd auto issues. C7 Corvettes have paint issues. The C7 Z06 has overheating issues on the track and more so with 8spd auto than 7spd manual. Customers are waiting to see if the 2017 Z06 has a cooling fix. 2015-2016 Z06 owners will be on their own to fix it. How's that for 100k?

The "new" GM. Same as the old GM, minus the debt they stuck to the public
Old 08-23-2016, 06:10 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Can't believe I agree with quadcammer, but making $200,000 and buying a $100K car is crazy. And if truth be told I live in the world of doctors that make that much (actually more) and I have not met anyone who has a new 911. One of my friends bought a used 997 turbo, another used 991, and me a CPO 997. The only ones with new Porsches have boxsters. It is all in your priorities. There is a resident who got a gt4.

As far as service I expect what Porsche delivers, they pick my cars up, leave me a loaner, bring my car to me when its done, all cleaned and shined and smelling nice.

And quality, my 996 and 997 are way above the Pontiac and Ford I own. Watch the how its made episode of the 991 and you will see how much they go through to stop it from ever rusting. Not something Ford, Audi, and BMW do.
This thread has taken a turn (as most threads do) and now is less about what one expects out of $100K and more about what it takes to buy a $100K car, but I'll chime in to both. I also agree with Quadcammer...your "run of the mill" doctors, lawyers, business execs and small business owners are not dropping $100K on vehicles, and I'm on a coast too where salaries are higher than more midwestern or rural areas. $100K is a lot of money to spend on a vehicle, and it takes a car enthusiast with either a huge bank account or a high threshold for debt on a depreciating asset to make that kind of purchase. This is not meant to be a d*** measuring contest, but I suspect most of the guys in the 911 part of this forum are doing better than average in the financial arena. With that usually comes a fiscal conservatism however, which means we buy under our means with respect to vehicles. I know more than a few people in the $250K+ household income set (mostly surgeons and attorneys), and none of them are dropping $100K on a single vehicle. The guys I see at the local events driving the new $100K+ exotics are likely trust fund guys and millionaires. Not people who work for a living. The surgeons and attorneys I know that are doing well (and I consider myself a member of that set) are either leasing new MBs, BMWs or Lexuses, or driving used cars. These are guys that COULD buy a $125K Porsche new off the lot (or at least finance one)... but don't and never would. In fact, of my professional colleagues, I'm kind of known as the "car guy" who is most likely to show up with a sports car, and I am driving an 8 year old 911TT that I just upgraded to after driving a 7 year old 911 C2. New luxury SUVs cost more.

Now, as far as what I expect from a $100K car... for me, I want an interior that doesn't look for feel cheap, and of course I want the performance, but like others have said, you can find some very high-quality vehicles for far less than $100K. With the exotics and near-exotics, you're not paying for the quality as much as you're paying for the label and image. Nobody in buys a $350K Lamborghini because the quality of leather or paint in their $100K Porsche simply won't do. And nobody buys a $100K Porsche because the creature comforts in their fully loaded $50K sedan is not adequate. Have you seen the interior of a loaded Hyundai Equus? It's nice. Doesn't mean I'm buying one.

Quick Reply: What do you expect for $100K?