Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10-14 hours labor for a suspension install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I ordered sways from Tarret (GT3 lookalikes) along with their adjustable links and boots.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'd say their estimate is close. I did all the stuff in this photo of the workbench, plus RSS sways, and it took me most of a week, but I'm meticulous when I do work on my cars.

Also, I spent one of those days on the AirLift kit, figuring out where and how to mount the external compressor and control box, then doing the wiring of it, and probably another half-day getting the rubber boots on all metal ends of the suspension components, so really 3-3.5 days. Bose cars require removal of some seat hardware and the sub.

Results were so worth it though.

You'll love the improvement.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Just total bs
I think he meant just shocks.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

A quick update:
I took the car in for suspension install a week ago, I told them to take their time.
A week later they still have the car. Evidently the east Canadian living has made the fasteners all the challenge I warned them they could be; torch and BFH's engaged. Also the Tarrett sways are not fitting as well as OEM.
Should be done tomorrow - can't wait! Hopefully they somewhat abide by their original quote of 10-14 hours.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Well the shop is up to about thirty hours into my suspension install and counting!
I dropped in to visit my car today after being out of town, I was missing it after three weeks without it.
Took a dozen donuts with me as I knew they were not happy campers.
Every fastener has been a problem with the worst being the concentric bolts for the rear alignment, those needed to be cut off with a Sawzall. There was even rust on the top of the shock piston where it went through the the upper mounting plates.
Good news is it should be done tomorrow and I'll not have to face this set of problems again. Bad news is I want to do the transmission mount and a muffler bypass - those bolts all look horrible!

Th Elephant Racing front LCA's don't accommodate the leveling system for the headlights so the arm is zip tied on with a couple of heavy duty zip ties. Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Mark, frustrated in Colorado
Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I bought my RSS LCAs second hand and the auto-leveling light bracket was missing. I simply fabricated a replacement using some aluminum and it's stiff enough to hold it's shape but was weak enough where I could tweak it once everything was back together so I could set the level of the lights I wanted to be maintained. The way the system works is there is one of these in the front and one in the rear and some circuitry compares the two readings and adjusts the level of the headlight beams accordingly.

Here are pics of the factory LCA and the RSS LCA with the bracket I fabricated. It's sandwiched between the end piece and the main LCA. I made a 2nd shim from the same material to install on the other side so both were equal prior to taking the car for the final alignment.

You can see the bracket on the backside of the LCA in this installed photo

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Well the shop is up to about thirty hours into my suspension install and counting!
I dropped in to visit my car today after being out of town, I was missing it after three weeks without it.
Took a dozen donuts with me as I knew they were not happy campers.
Every fastener has been a problem with the worst being the concentric bolts for the rear alignment, those needed to be cut off with a Sawzall. There was even rust on the top of the shock piston where it went through the the upper mounting plates.
Good news is it should be done tomorrow and I'll not have to face this set of problems again. Bad news is I want to do the transmission mount and a muffler bypass - those bolts all look horrible!

Th Elephant Racing front LCA's don't accommodate the leveling system for the headlights so the arm is zip tied on with a couple of heavy duty zip ties. Is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Mark, frustrated in Colorado
Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think the Elephant Racing LCA's are a two-piece design with shims. Instead it has a locking jack screw to change the length.

edit: no shims, but Elephant Racing does make a Litronic bracket, see here: http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...ms.htm#gt3_arm
Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like that's what you need instead of the wire ties.

Originally Posted by semicycler
I don't think the Elephant Racing LCA's are a two-piece design with shims. Instead it has a locking jack screw to change the length.

edit: no shims, but Elephant Racing does make a Litronic bracket, see here: http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...ms.htm#gt3_arm

Quick Reply: 10-14 hours labor for a suspension install?