Sponsored by:

Loss of a/c cooling, and big steam event

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Loss of a/c cooling, and big steam event

98 degrees outside. 52,000 on car, driving with a/c on a moderate setting, seems fine. Was driving about 45 mins or so, just casually up back roads as I was marina hopping looking at some boats.

Came to a stop. Kablooey... big steam event from right front, next to battery, steams comes blowing into cabin through all vents (cabin air intake/filter right there). Huge gas/steam cloud around right front frunk/fender.

Pop frunk open, steam dissipates, puddle on ground under right front of car, and I inspect (and taste) and is it fresh water. Not oil, coolant, etc. I figure condensation. Ok.

Kill a/c switch in car. All gauges before and after even were perfect (this is clearly an a/c event).

Steam gone, condensor fans up front working. a/c is off though. Condensor fans kept running for the entire 40 min ride home (with a/c off).

All normal, as I drive without a/c, get into garage.

Final test, now that I am home: I turn on a/c, no compressor kick, no cold air.... no steam... nothing happening anywhere.... front condensor fans running still... strong force of air from front wheel wells...

So, did a Freon/refrigerant hose blow up, pop off, etc? I'd guess the Freon/refridgerant made a rapid escape.

Why condensor fans going strong with a/c off?

Last edited by Philster; 08-14-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, sounds like you lost pressure in the AC lines somewhere. Start by testing pressure with an AC gauge. You might be able to get one on loan for free from an auto parts store.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Yeah... I did some more digging. I've got oil all over the place where the ''steam event'' took place. Guess it was refrigerant in gaseous state.

Oil travels with the refrigerant, so it all came flying out.

Oil sprayed and or settled in highlighted areas
Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

No rubber in that area. Expansion valve and connector to the low side line from the expansion valve. Agree we th previous poster. Pressurize the line and listen in that area.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Any reason my condenser fans up front ran non-stop aferwards?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Might be related to to a pressure sensor reading something unusual causing the car to think the condenser fan was necessary.

I'd fix the leak first then see what you got
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you know (roughly) where the leak is.
BTW, do you have a cover for that exposed +ve terminal on your battery?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I have a cover and pulled everything off to inspect, clean and put the trickle charger on as per my normal routine (I'm diligent, hence the red tape with + on it so no one screws up).

It sure looks like the valve and/or connections right there are culprits. The valve has a bit of a reputation, especially on cars where the a/c isn't run a lot (guilty).

Hopefully that and the cost of refrigerant is all there is to it.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey Philster. I just had this EXACT thing happen to my 997. Started driving after stores for winter. Big plume of smoke in the cabin and pool of oil in front passenger section next to the battery under the hood. To your point, front fans were running on high and could feel the air pushing under the front passenger wheel well. What was your issue and how did you fix it?

Quick Reply: Loss of a/c cooling, and big steam event