997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 widebody build thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

when are you starting with outside wide body fenders front and rear and wing install?

Thanks and good luck, eager to see where this ends up...
Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

thanks guys.

My Audi S6 is in the shop, waiting for a vacuum and coolant leak to be fixed, among some other small stuff. Since the 997 is my daily driver, I cant get the 997 back in the shop to finish up with the following, until I get my S6 back:

Numeric shifter install
Numeric cables
DSC suspension control module with 3 axis accelerometer
AC not working
RSS underdrive pulley

After all that is done, then off to the body shop, as long as the S6 keeps running well.

I am starting to have the feeling that the body shop work may end up being a winter project. I hope that is not the case, but I dont feel like losing the car for the summer and/or fall, just so that I can get the body stuff done quicker. Will have to see how it all plays out.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:46 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
t
I am starting to have the feeling that the body shop work may end up being a winter project. I hope that is not the case, but I dont feel like losing the car for the summer and/or fall, just so that I can get the body stuff done quicker. Will have to see how it all plays out.
id save it for the off season. nothing worse then not having ur car in the garage available for drives and what not during the on-season.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:55 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
id save it for the off season. nothing worse then not having ur car in the garage available for drives and what not during the on-season.
good advice
Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 PM
vintage911
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the direction of your build!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vintage911
I love the direction of your build!
Thanks man.

This is about my fourth of fifth documented build. It started with Audi's, and now on to Porsches.

At first, way back, I felt no ambition to start a build thread. It was work and BS. Taking pics and writing up a bunch of ****. But, what I found when I finally
started one, is that enthusiasts enjoyed following along.

For some followers, it was vicarious... I modded the car in ways they had always wanted for themselves.

For others it was a source of tried-and-true experience and knowledge, as they followed in the footsteps of modifications. Everyone wants to know from first hand experience, what works well and what doesnt. In this particular 997 build, at least half of it has been following in the footsteps of others. The other half is me wasting me hard earned money on trial and error

In any case, Ill continue to document this project until completion. What I will say is that the 997 is a car like no other I have ever had. It is the ONE car that you can keep forever.

If you are ever in doubt about getting a 997, dont hesitate... as soon as you own one you will ask yourself, 'why didnt I get one sooner???'
The following users liked this post:
MrTickles (11-25-2020)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 AM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

... What I will say is that the 997 is a car like no other I have ever had. It is the ONE car that you can keep forever.

If you are ever in doubt about getting a 997, dont hesitate... as soon as you own one you will ask yourself, 'why didnt I get one sooner???'
Well said! I went from my M3 to my 997.1tt and agree with everything you have said. Love seeing progress in your thread!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:41 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Some new parts just in, ready for install next week

DSC Sport Controller w/ 3-axis accelerometer
Numeric shifter and cables
RSS underdrive pulley

Also, want to add some great feedback on the Numeric and DSC customer service. I purchased both the shifter and the DSC box used, and found both had issues, when I received them.

The DSC box had an old version of the software. No problem. DSC had me send it in, and updated the software to the latest version, free of charge! They didnt even charge extra for return shipping. Just included it in the box with the 3axis kit that I had already paid for.

The Numeric shifter I purchased was in rough shape. Unknown to the Seller, the shop that removed it had not given him back a bunch of the screws and washers that were required. Additionally, they had hacked up one of the cable mounts with a Dremel. I obviously was not happy when I received it. The Seller was great though, and reimbursed me for the parts plus shipping from Numeric.

When I had sent pics to Numeric, they said I had purchased an old version of the shifter. There were other parts in the shifter that could be upgraded. The best part was, they offered to upgrade the parts under warranty, free of charge. I only had to ship it to them, and pay a reasonable extra amount for return shipping. So, although the whole process was kind of a hassle, in the end I got an essentially brand new shifter. So, in the end it all worked out.

Thanks again Numeric and DSC !!! You guys are awesome !!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

At first, way back, I felt no ambition to start a build thread. It was work and BS. Taking pics and writing up a bunch of ****. But, what I found when I finally
started one, is that enthusiasts enjoyed following along.

sooo tru.....

My 997 is a minor build, my 70 camaro major build. It was kool at first seeing the progress online, listening to the lovers, politics, egos (i woulda done this, or that).

In the end, yes, i did the mods for me, as i love to drive. BUT, there are ALOT of like minded people with me and once you've weeded through the bs, the enthusiasts keep me coming back to watch builds like this and post pics/comments/pricing on my builds.

And again, yes, I would advise anyone on the fence of a 911(997 mostly) build/purchase, DON'T wait (yes i'm yelling lol). I did and regret waiting, its the best 59k i've ever spent (well there is the house, and 3 kiddos through college). I regret waiting though, lifes too short, enjoy now.

Looking forward to more updates....mike

Last edited by mikes70; 06-27-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Well, no body work on this update... but some other nice stuff.

Swapped out the GT2 wheel for an FVD 340mm. Totally different in feel.
Also had the Numeric shifter and cables installed. The new setup is pretty crazy. Very precise and mechanical, just as everyone reports.
And, finally upgraded the seats to GT2s. What a difference over the sport seats.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:38 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I ask what those GT2 seats cost?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:56 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexl911
May I ask what those GT2 seats cost?
What they normally cost is about $8k. What they cost me was a kidney. LOL

Actually, I got lucky on this set...after watching the forums for three years for a deal on a pair, I finally found one local...

I had litterally just purchased a set of Recaro Sportsters a day before that were going to be a project when the GT2s came up. Managed to sell the Sportsters in 48 hours, and bought the GT2s.

The Sporsters were incredible. Leather and Alcantara. But they would have been a project for sure. When the GT2s came up, I had no choice but to sell.

(and yes, I was planning to put Nissan Juke seats in my 997)

Last edited by halo777; 06-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Where did you source the Recaros? Lusting after those seats for an eternity....
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a set of GT2 seats + harness at Hersey last Saturday. I can't recall the vendor but could find it if someone was really interested. I believe you could get them for $8K.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Where did you source the Recaros? Lusting after those seats for an eternity....
You mean those red/black Recaros, right? Got those from a salvage Nissan Juke RS. They were absolutely gorgeous in person. And just amazing to sit in. They come up on eBay, or you can just buy the Recaro Sportsters CS, which are the same seat. To get the airbag you would have to import the Recaro RS from Europe or get the Jukes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 widebody build thread