Sponsored by:

997 widebody build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:40 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Tan
Looks great! Recaro PP with custom seat inserts are just the best aren't they.
100% agreed. I had the GT2 carbon buckets previously, and prefer the Recaros. Im not saying the GT2 buckets arent incredible, but for me, the Recaro feel even more snug and connected to the car.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:27 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Had the calipers painted. Chose to match them to the decals we have planned (Avery Gloss Lime Green.) With the red calipers finally gone, the car is looking a lot more coherent. Will be swapping out the red seatbelts with green as well. The look is finally starting to come together.

Also new pads and new larger rotors installed with a kit to space out the calipers.

The following 3 users liked this post by halo777:
997Troy (02-18-2021), Hootsama (02-18-2021), myw (03-25-2024)
Old 02-18-2021, 05:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Love the yellow calipers!! Those seats are sweet too!!

Tom
The following users liked this post:
halo777 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:07 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 145 Posts

The caliper color reminds me of the color Porsche uses on their E-Hybrids. Also what are the rotors sizes? The calipers seem to be spaced out pretty far to accommodate the rotors and the brake pads are only covering about half of the width of the rotors.
halo777 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:21 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.Tan
The caliper color reminds me of the color Porsche uses on their E-Hybrids. Also what are the rotors sizes? The calipers seem to be spaced out pretty far to accommodate the rotors and the brake pads are only covering about half of the width of the rotors.
Yes, the caliper colour is close to acid green. For some reason, everything always looks brighter in pics. In real life, they are more of a chartreuse yellow.

Good catch on the caliper spacing! The kit I purchased spaces out the calipers and allows you to swap the 330mm stock rotors for the 997 Turbo 350mm rotors. Essentially, the kit spaces out the calipers an additional 10mm.

However, the shop called me and said the kit is not spacing out far enough to clear the new Turbo rotors. In the pic, they have the spacers for the kit double stacked, so it is spacing them out too far (as you pointed out.)

The rotors I purchased have the right offset and the correct width. They are perfectly centered within the caliper. However, Im not sure if they are larger than 350mm, or the kit isnt spacing the calipers out far enough. We did a rough measurement, and it seems the rotors are larger than 350mm. Is there a 360mm Turbo rotor that they sent me by mistake? Not sure. Back is the exact same issue. This is the rotors I ordered
One x 909355C - Front Driver Left Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909356C - Front Passenger Right Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909384C - Rear Passenger Right Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909383C - Rear Driver Left Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

In any case, we decided we are just going to get new spacers machined that space the caliper out properly. The bolts are long enough, so its just a matter of getting the spacing right.

This is a pic with the spacers double stacked, which is leaving the calipers too far out. With the single spacer it is not enough.

Last edited by halo777; 02-18-2021 at 07:31 PM.
myw (03-24-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:47 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 145 Posts

Interesting. Rotors that are labeled 350mm isn't actually 350mm in diameter, who would have thought. That sucks. I agree that making new spacers with proper height is the way to go. There's quite a bit of wasted brake pad area overhanging over the edge of the rotor at the moment.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:59 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Yeah, its strange. I didnt have the rotors off the car, so I couldnt get a proper measurement. I was just told that the single spacers installed (which are apparently 11mm with this kit) didnt position the caliper out far enough. The Girodisc kit uses 12mm spacers. However, Im not sure if an extra mm would have made any difference in clearance.

We are going to add flat washers until we get the correct clearance, and then have new spacers machined in the correct length.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:48 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Do update us on size of spacers required for the caliper. I plan on using the exact same sebro slotted rotors with those eBay spacers and don’t want to run into same issue.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halo777
Yes, the caliper colour is close to acid green. For some reason, everything always looks brighter in pics. In real life, they are more of a chartreuse yellow.

Good catch on the caliper spacing! The kit I purchased spaces out the calipers and allows you to swap the 330mm stock rotors for the 997 Turbo 350mm rotors. Essentially, the kit spaces out the calipers an additional 10mm.

However, the shop called me and said the kit is not spacing out far enough to clear the new Turbo rotors. In the pic, they have the spacers for the kit double stacked, so it is spacing them out too far (as you pointed out.)

The rotors I purchased have the right offset and the correct width. They are perfectly centered within the caliper. However, Im not sure if they are larger than 350mm, or the kit isnt spacing the calipers out far enough. We did a rough measurement, and it seems the rotors are larger than 350mm. Is there a 360mm Turbo rotor that they sent me by mistake? Not sure. Back is the exact same issue. This is the rotors I ordered
One x 909355C - Front Driver Left Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909356C - Front Passenger Right Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909384C - Rear Passenger Right Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

One x 909383C - Rear Driver Left Disc Brake Rotor Sebro

In any case, we decided we are just going to get new spacers machined that space the caliper out properly. The bolts are long enough, so its just a matter of getting the spacing right.

This is a pic with the spacers double stacked, which is leaving the calipers too far out. With the single spacer it is not enough.

Hey man, someone pmed me here that you are having issues. this is one of my kits. ive sold hundreds of them with zero fitment issues. something isnt right here. ill pm you as well but ill help you figure out your issue here
Presto (03-18-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:45 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Flewis763, thanks for reaching out to help. I contacted the shop today, and they said it was a minor fitment issue with the brake setup, that they have now resolved. They didnt provide the specifics, but said it fits perfectly now.

Considering this, I would say your kit worked perfectly. Dollar for dollar, I think it is a great value for a significant improvement in the stock brakes. If someone's rotors are due for replacement, then it is almost a no brainer to upsize to the larger 350mm rotors that work with the kit.

Very happy in the end!

Ill post more pics when I get the car back.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:43 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Car looks great! Saw you maybe selling it when it's all done? What's the reason ?
Old 04-03-2021, 12:18 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Thanks 997ajk!

Yes, I'm thinking of listing the car for sale on one of the online auction sites, once everything is done. Right now, the car is finishing up at the garage, where all the mechanical stuff was done. Following that, It needs another few weeks at the bodyshop, for final polishing, application of decals, etc.

Part of the reason why I would like to list it for sale when I get it back, is that everything on it is going to look perfect when its done. Aside from new paint, there are a bunch of brand new parts (brakes/tires/windshield/battery/alternator etc) that are going to make the car look and feel like new. If I drive it around for a year, my guess is it will be worth less than it is right now (unless 997 prices keep going up.)

I guess the other reason Im possibly looking to sell is that I love the 'project' part of 'project cars.' Before the project is done, Im already looking around for a new one.

Anyway, we will see what happens. A lot of money and time was spent on this car to get it exactly how I wanted. So, if I dont get a decent price for it, there is no use in selling.

Last edited by halo777; 04-03-2021 at 12:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by halo777:
997ajk (04-03-2021), NPR (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:28 AM
pantsareoff
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@halo777 Curious of a couple things. Just got a 997.1 2S, wondering what were the mods that helped the most with acceleration? Also what are your thoughts on the TPC DSC suspension module?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021, 01:34 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pantsareoff
@halo777 Curious of a couple things. Just got a 997.1 2S, wondering what were the mods that helped the most with acceleration? Also what are your thoughts on the TPC DSC suspension module?

Thanks!
The two mods that probably helped most with actual acceleration were RSS underdrive pulley and the Aasco LWFW. However, if you want a real boost in acceleration on these cars, then you probably will have to go with the VF supercharger kit. After all the mods that I have done, the car has plenty of power for me. That being said, I am not a one of those people who needs insane power. The direct feel of the car is much more important than the 1/4 mile time for me.

The TPC DSC module is great. It adds some further refinement to the Bilstein Damptronics. Definitely a worthwhile modification if you have some money to burn on mods.

pantsareoff (09-07-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Well, I have been working with the shop trying to track down the source of a sound like "marbles in a can" when the car warms up. It comes from the front suspension, and you can feel it right through the steering wheel.

We replaced every suspect bearing and bushing in all the front suspension, but it still comes back. The only thing left to have done is to have the front shocks rebuilt. So, Im waiting for a lift to come free so the shocks can be removed and sent to California for a rebuild. Unfortunately, another season gone without the car back.

On a positive note, 997 prices have been strong, so if I do decide to sell Im sure I can get a decent price for the car. However, I'm having second thoughts about selling, so we will see what happens once everything is sorted. Im guessing it wont see the road until next Spring.

Quick Reply: 997 widebody build thread