Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident - thoughts? Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 PM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the info - Momentum looked good but I went with Caliber Collision and my insurance (USAA) supported the decision.

You brought up a good point and why I thought the car might be a complete write-off at first - the panel of impact is large and it looks like it will be a substantial replacement.

If anyone knows - is this considered uni-body? Or is it a panel like on any other car? Any idea how the shop may go about repairing and what to watch for?

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by stronbl
Sorry for your accident ... glad you are ok though.

Your insurance company adjuster won't get it right for a number of reasons. Hopefully he/she will have a Porsche expert (Porsche authorized shop perhaps) give them an opinion - or accept an opinion from a Porsche expert you provide. The rear quarter panel where you are hit is a continuous piece so much more expensive to fix it correctly versus a cut-weld-sand-paint job (which you do not want). Also there may be (reasonably probable) additional damage to engine/suspension, and hopefully not frame. But there is a fair amount of weight in that area of the vehicle so any movement will have some consequences. Good luck. Keep us posted on your findings if you can.

BTW - I spoke with the people (forget the shop manager's name) at Momentum BMW Collision (Porsche certified repair shop) concerning some body repair work on my other Porsche. He seemed pretty good, but I cannot attest to their ability as I have not yet decided to pursue the repairs.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

It has it's own part number, so I think it's just one panel. Looks to be around $2000 part, unpainted. Not too bad really.

-td

Old 08-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
It has it's own part number, so I think it's just one panel. [/IMG]

Usually, MFGrs have a different set of options for body repair called "crash kits" that address common accidents like smashed bumpers. These contain all the brackets, hidden supports, screws, pins, needles, bottle openers, women of low character, and such whether they are actually needed or not.

I don't know if a crash kit exists for this kind of accident, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-10-2016, 06:21 PM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'll keep this thread updated as we move through the process.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sam0182
Thanks for the info - Momentum looked good but I went with Caliber Collision and my insurance (USAA) supported the decision.

You brought up a good point and why I thought the car might be a complete write-off at first - the panel of impact is large and it looks like it will be a substantial replacement.

If anyone knows - is this considered uni-body? Or is it a panel like on any other car? Any idea how the shop may go about repairing and what to watch for?

Thanks all.
Good luck with your repairs. BTW, USAA would have supported Momentum too - you get to choose.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Do not trust the dealer's recommendation!! Visit the shop and speak to the owner and look around.

Tom
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

At least you have USAA on your side. Best company I have ever dealt with on anything I have ever done. No exaggeration.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sam0182
Someone turned into my lane about an hour ago - striking my left rear quarter and wheel. Thoughts on the damage? Totaled? And the 23mo remaining on my CPO? I've done some research in the last few minutes but am seeing mixed responses. Thanks all. :/

**More details

- 2009 997.2
- 51k miles
- 6sp
- base model
- 2yr CPO expires June 2018
- stock car
Make sure to get diminished value from the insurance companies.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the continued input and advice.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

USAA is awesome. I'd recommend you get them to cover all the costs and diminished value claim then let them go after the other person's insurance to get reimbursed. The last thing you want to do is deal with the hassle of going through the other party's insurance.

As for diminished value, If you think their offer is low, arm yourself with some evidence and counter. They'll in all likelihood increase their offer. I would expect to get a minimum of $2,500.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hijack but always curious about diminished value. So for those that have claimed diminished value I ask:

1. Does this payout "stay" with the car? For instance if you are paid a claim of 5k on a $40k car will the car now be worth 5k less for its entire existence as far as insurance is concerned (should it be written off in a future accident for example)?
2. When you sell a car that has diminished value, will you offer it at market price minus diminished value or try and sell it for full market price? And can a buyer determine if diminished value has been paid to negotiate a better price from the seller?

Quick Reply: Accident - thoughts? Totaled?