Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Opinions on 997.2 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

^ that one was a smoking good deal. Well done.
What I have done before. Before buying my '06 Cayman from a leasing company I saw which dealer it was delivered from new. My buddy that has worked at all the P car dealers local before retiring went to that dealer with me. We went to a service writer that was one of his old pals. Could not get a print out but did get to look over his shoulder when he brought the car up. Sure enough, they had also done all the service for prior two owners. I rewarded him with a service visit the next day when I purchased. Everyone happy and no one really broke any "rules".
If the car is local get the vin# and give it a shot. A service writer likely won't let you take a peak but will tell you if it's one of theirs and last service. He is looking to keep a client. If he feels like it will come in shortly, he will tell you what service it looks like it needs and a quote. Straight up business.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by austx911S
Mileage? Is that manual or PDK?
60k miles from dealer, manual
Old 08-10-2016, 12:36 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Price is going to be highly specific to quality, condition and car features once you are in the "right ballpark".

Dont pass up a car you want more because another one is a few grand less expensive...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
2009 is the 997, I could be wrong but the 2011 is a 991 model and is a slightly different chassis.

As with all these cars options are what everyone one on this board will tell you you must have, but it's really up to you, if you enjoy searching for every "must have" option do more research. But coming from that 89 I am sure that you will find these cars beyond thrilling to own and drive.

For me #2 would be more appealing, because of the factory warranty, but Porsche has a nationwide search that will filter only CPO cars if you want.
Both cars are 997.2 991 cars didn't start coming off the presses until mid-way through 2012. (you can find 2012 997 and 991 cars)

I agree that #2 is the better option. It would be pretty odd if that car didn't have sport chrono. That was almost an auto-add on any PDK car. For me, the lower miles would be pretty appealing.

If you can post the vin numbers someone here can give you the build sheets of both cars.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:05 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid 66k for this with 18k on the odo. For reference, hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:50 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

No affiliation to seller but this might be something you want to check out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ack-seats.html
Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Default Nice

Originally Posted by ksozay

That car is beautiful. Duplicate of mine except in Guards Red. If I didn't already have one I would check it out.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by ksozay

I honestly can't believe that car hasn't sold yet. It's beautiful.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:04 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Just got some preliminary photos of the ’09 and I don’t think it has the sport chrono. No clock mounted on the dash and don’t see the buttons on the console. From the comments here and elsewhere I’ve concluded I probably wont use it much but would rather have it and not use it rather than visa versa. But the full gray leather package in this puppy is plush!

rYbOsOmE - That link doesn’t work for me . says NOT FOUND on server. Also 404 Error

ksozay - Thanks but I just don’t look good in Red. Beautiful car though.

A bit about me: retired and comfortable but not rich. Like my toys but know my limits. (Nikon D810 not Leica M Typ240)
Will be trading in my ’13 Audi Q5 to help with this purchase but can juggle $$ if right car from private seller wins the day.

Again, thanks all for your input. Think I’m gonna like it here.

Cheers, Peter

Last edited by pgurt3; 08-10-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by pgurt3
Just got some preliminary photos of the ’09 and I don’t think it has the sport chrono. No clock mounted on the dash and don’t see the buttons on the console. From the comments here and elsewhere I’ve concluded I probably wont use it much but would rather have it and not use it rather than visa versa. But the full gray leather package in this puppy is plush!

rYbOsOmE - That link doesn’t work for me . says NOT FOUND on server. Also 404 Error

A bit about me: retired and comfortable but not rich. Like my toys but know my limits. (Nikon D810 not Leica M Typ240)
Will be trading in my ’13 Audi Q5 to help with this purchase but can juggle $$ if right car from private seller wins the day.

Cheers, Peter
Peter, If that 09 is a rare bird that didn't come with Sport Chrono, you can have it added to the car as a retrofit by any porsche dealer. They won't install the stopwatch wart on the dash, but will install the sport button on the dash (next to the pasm button) and will upgrade your software. The retrofit shouldn't run you more than $1200 or so. If the 09 is sitting on the lot of a porsche dealer, you could probably negotiate the upgrade as part of the purchase price.

FWIW, the price of the 09 is high I think. A low mile 09 S should probably be in the mid -upper 50's depending on warranty. Tell them to throw the sport button in it and CPO warranty and you'll give them 58k
Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Cheers, Peter

It works, I use it all the time. If you give me the VIN, I'll pull the build sheets for you
Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

rYbOsOmE - here you go WP0AB29989S722183 Thanks

Cycso - Thanks for the tip. If I decide this is "the one" I'll use that tack. the car is at a Porsche Dealer and comes with a full 2 yr. CPO
Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Cysco
Racer

rYbOsOmE - here you go WP0AB29989S722183 Thanks

Cycso - Thanks for the tip. If I decide this is "the one" I'll use that tack. the car is at a Porsche Dealer and comes with a full 2 yr. CPO
Peter, the build on that 09 is really nice. Meteor Gray over full gray leather with black gauges is probably a striking combo, especially with the carrera S II wheels. You're looking at a car that was pushing $110k new. If you could get that car with CPO warranty for close to half that cost, I'd say it's a solid deal. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

For whatever reason it's saying that vin isn't available. I have never seen that before.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:35 AM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

rYbOsOmE - Thanks for trying. The dealer has sent me the build list on this car.

Cycso - Thanks for the kind words. I mentioned to the sales person who's been emailing me about the Sport Chrono upgrade. He said it's a factory only option so I searched Rennlist forums and sent him a link to one that discusses in detail the upgrade, including the Porsche Dealer who did the work.
The photos they sent were some grainy shots taken indoors while car was on a lowered lift. Not awe inspiring to say the least. Was told they'll have better ones up by the weekend. Wish they were closer so I could just drive over and see the car. As it is it's a 9 hr drive or 3.5 hr plane ride with a stop along the way. Logistics, logistics.
We'll see how the whole sport chrono thing shakes out once the sales guy consults with service.

Quick Reply: Seeking Opinions on 997.2 purchase