Sponsored by:

Seeking Opinions on 997.2 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pgurt3
rYbOsOmE - Thanks for trying. The dealer has sent me the build list on this car.

Cycso - Thanks for the kind words. I mentioned to the sales person who's been emailing me about the Sport Chrono upgrade. He said it's a factory only option so I searched Rennlist forums and sent him a link to one that discusses in detail the upgrade, including the Porsche Dealer who did the work.
The photos they sent were some grainy shots taken indoors while car was on a lowered lift. Not awe inspiring to say the least. Was told they'll have better ones up by the weekend. Wish they were closer so I could just drive over and see the car. As it is it's a 9 hr drive or 3.5 hr plane ride with a stop along the way. Logistics, logistics.
We'll see how the whole sport chrono thing shakes out once the sales guy consults with service.
The dealer was probably thinking about the chrono part of the sport chrono. He is correct that the stopwatch is a factory only upgrade. The sport part of sport chrono (the button that changes throttle response, shift speed and enables launch control) can be added after the fact. The part is here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html
Old 08-16-2016, 11:34 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
New to this forum. Getting back into a Porsche after a number of years without. Drove an '89 3.2 Carrera for 12 yrs before moving abroad.
Have been getting lots of useful advise online, especially from Rennlist so thanks to all.
I've narrowed down my search to a 2009 - 2011 Carrera S Coupe and have focused in on a couple and would like to hear what you folks have to say:

#1 2011 w/41k miles I can get for $51,500. It's clean but in need of a good detailing. No service records beyond what Carfax has to offer. Carfax show no accidents but 4 owners and a cross country move before a sale at auction.
Now sitting in a Ford dealership that's clueless about P cars. Would do a PPI before moving forward.

#2 2009 w/17k miles with an asking price of $59,000. One owner car being offered by same dealership that originally sold the car and serviced it since it was new.
Included in the price is Porsche CPO warranty. Haven't seen photos yet as it just came into the dealership.

Both cars are PDK with comparable options. Not sure if the '09 come with Sport Chrono though.

Any changes in the later car either mechanical or cosmetic that I should factor in?

Would love to hear for & against arguments for both vehicles.
Just thought I'd check in with an update:
Car # 2 clearly my 1st choice. Was waiting for the dealer to complete the CPO inspection & work and get some decent photos posted. I'd use those to gauge whether I needed to fly up there see the car or just hire a PPI person to be my eyes.
I called the dealer yesterday (Monday) and was told that someone came by over the weekend, saw the car on the lift and said if it runs like it looks I'll take it. They left a $1K deposit and said call me when it's ready for a test drive. Dealer said he'd call me if it falls thru.

I then was going to reach out to the dealer of Car #1 when I got an email saying the car had been sold over the weekend. This after seeing they lowered the price to $50K on Sat. Grrr.
To add insult to injury I saw a new listing on another dealer's site in the Orlando area. Same car only new dealer asking $55,900. I called him, told him I was familiar with the vehicle and offered him $51.5K like the old dealer had it marked. No deal, won't budge off the $55.9K and would give me $600 less than the first dealer for my trade it. With no service records or documentation other than Carfax I dont think this car is worth $56K.
I should mention that I wanted to buy it two weeks ago but I was in the middle of doing a home refinance, and my mortgage broker told me no major money moves til we close. The dealer would not take a deposit to hold it for the two weeks.

Guess I am back to square one. Been checking all the usual places but nothing that rips my trigger anywhere close to me geographically. I did have two Rennlisters contact me with cars. One I passed on, the seller changed his mind on the other.

Couple of questions for you more experienced buyers: Have any of you ever relied on photos and/or a PPI versus eyeballing a distant vehicle?
On hiring a PPI person in the area where the car is. Would you use an independent or have the seller bring the car to a Porsche dealer? I’m kind of leery of getting an objective opinion when a local guy is bringing his car into a local dealer. Is that being paranoid or cautious?

I know it pays to be patient but I’ve also read on this forum that when you see a car you like “pounce” was the word someone used. Any insight you guys can offer up would be helpful.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 AM
austx911S
Instructor

Default Inspections

I've bought cars out of state before with mixed results. I've done remote PPI's using a third party service or make/model expert working on the side. I personally won't do that again without being present for the inspection. I had one bad experience and that was enough. I would research the area and try to find a shop/service with a good reputation and ensure that is not where the car was most recently serviced. I would not do a PPI at the same shop the car has been serviced at if possible. What if the "best" shop is where it's been serviced? I'd find the 2nd "best" shop in the area. I would also be present during the PPI to ask questions and gauge responses. Nothing paranoid about that imo.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Cysco
Racer

Couple of questions for you more experienced buyers: Have any of you ever relied on photos and/or a PPI versus eyeballing a distant vehicle?
On hiring a PPI person in the area where the car is. Would you use an independent or have the seller bring the car to a Porsche dealer? I’m kind of leery of getting an objective opinion when a local guy is bringing his car into a local dealer. Is that being paranoid or cautious?

I know it pays to be patient but I’ve also read on this forum that when you see a car you like “pounce” was the word someone used. Any insight you guys can offer up would be helpful.
Sorry you've missed out on a couple cars you've liked. You are 100% correct though, there are a lot of cars out there. Many of us waited six months or more to find the right car for us.

As far as buying sight unseen, I've purchased two cars from outside my state. The first one, a 2010 Cayman S, I found on the Carmax website. It was the most loaded 987.2 I'd ever seen. I happily paid their transfer fee to have the car shipped to Dallas. I think it cost me $500. If you haven't already, make sue you add a daily, nationwide search on Carmax to your web searching. They sometimes get in great cars and their prices are usually very fair. Example: I just checked and they have a 09 4S manual with 29k miles for $49.9k

The second time was with my current car. I found my 4S via cars.com. It was listed by a nissan dealer outside DC. Car was loaded, crazy low miles, and they had no idea how to price it. I ended up getting it way below market value. On this car I did something I would not recommend. I did it without a PPI, but given the low miles, the mint condition (visually), the clean carfax and the fact it was a 997.2 I thought it was worth the risk and bought it sight unseen. It worked out for me as the car was/is amazing and clean. I bought a nice/long aftermarket warranty to put my mind at ease.

I think you'll find a good number of people on here that have bought cars sight unseen. Most will have gotten a PPI on the car.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:23 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

austx - Good Advice. PPI seems like the smart way to go, even if I do get a CPO car.
Cysco - Thanks for the tip. I registered on Carmax earlier today and saw the car you mentioned. Wish it were PDK. Gotta wonder through, where they get cars they can sell so far below market.

**Got a call late this afternoon from te dealer of Car #2. The guy who put down the deposit pulled out as he didn't like driving PDK. Gotta talk to him at length tomorrow and see if I can get them to install the Sport Mode Software. Yes, the S model is one of the rare birds that didn't get it factory installed. To be continued....
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

austx - Good Advice. PPI seems like the smart way to go, even if I do get a CPO car.
Cysco - Thanks for the tip. I registered on Carmax earlier today and saw the car you mentioned. Wish it were PDK. Gotta wonder through, where they get cars they can sell so far below market.

**Got a call late this afternoon from te dealer of Car #2. The guy who put down the deposit pulled out as he didn't like driving PDK. Gotta talk to him at length tomorrow and see if I can get them to install the Sport Mode Software. Yes, the S model is one of the rare birds that didn't get it factory installed. To be continued....
Interesting. I have a 4S without chrono but its a manual.

Anyway, I really dont have much to add to the mix but to say you will know when the right car comes along and sings to you. I was on the hunt for months before mine fell into my lap. Semi local, crappy pics, 1 line description in a second tier online ad, but exactly what I wanted. Sailed through a PPI and been happy since.

Side note, wow....the 997's really hold their values as far as asking prices go. $59k is 991 Territory. Different car but still a 911.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Attachment 1083118Attachment 1083118Attachment 1083118[QUOTE=
**Got a call late this afternoon from te dealer of Car #2. The guy who put down the deposit pulled out as he didn't like driving PDK. Gotta talk to him at length tomorrow and see if I can get them to install the Sport Mode Software. Yes, the S model is one of the rare birds that didn't get it factory installed. To be continued....[/QUOTE]

... Completing the story

I spoke with the dealership over the course of a coupe days. Then called Pete Martin up at Stuttgart Motor Werks in Hendersonville, NC. Once I gave him all the particulars and the dealers name (Porsche of Greenville, SC) he talked me out of the PPI and suggested I move ahead.

Now for HUGE SHOUT-OUT to Dennis “N” SC who was kind enough to drive over to the dealership on Saturday and give this car a good test drive and thorough inspection. He called me from the dealership, sent me some additional photos and used the word “immaculate” in describing this ’09 S Coupe.

I called the salesman and we came to an agreement including a fair price on my 2013 Audi Q5 as a trade-in. I'll be leaving St. Pete on Thurs and heading up to Greenville to pick up my new ride on Friday.

The details: 2009 Carrera S Coupe, 1 owner, 17K miles, Meteor Grey Metallic with Stone Gray full leather interior. Car was sold new by the dealership and serviced there until it was recently traded in. Just had it’s 40K service and comes with a full 2 yr Porsche CPO. Not cheap at $57,700 but with the warranty & low miles I’m happy. Only thing missing is the Sport Chrono Pkg but I’ll add that once I get home.

I’ve gotten a nice education on the basics of the newer generations of Porsche cars, thanks in no small part to you folks here at Rennlist.
Thanks to everyone who offered up their advice and comments along the way.

And again special thanks to Dennis “N” in Greenville. Following his lead I’ll pay it forward and offer the same courtesy to any of you who might be considering a purchase in the Tampa/St Petersburg area.

I’ll post up some photos once I get back home.

Last edited by pgurt3; 08-23-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:59 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

In the meantime here's the build list:
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Well done! Given mileage and the comfort of CPO that would be about right price too. Don't feel like you overpaid. Hope you keep it many years. I think per our email you too were buying this as a retirement present to yourself also? Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

In the meantime here's the build list:
Righteous 911 and a road trip to get it. That's living the good life there. Nicely optioned. Those ventilated seats are gonna be sweeter than red velvet cake on those steamy FL days. Shout out to Dennis in SC; good on you!
T
Old 08-23-2016, 10:39 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

'09 997.2 C2S buddies!! You won't be disappointed
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 PM
austx911S
Instructor

Congrats Be sure to get the sports chrono ... you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Cysco
Racer

Really glad it worked out for you! You got yourself a really great car. Looking forward to seeing some pics and first impressions.

Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats!
+1 on the Sport Chrono addition.
It will be well worth it to get the full benefit and performance of the PDK.

Quick Reply: Seeking Opinions on 997.2 purchase