Sponsored by:

Shifting nirvana finally acheived

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:54 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifting nirvana finally acheived

Bought my car in October 2013, a 2009 C2S with 30K miles and CPO. Didn't want to make any changes that I could not reverse if needed to cover the CPO warranty if needed (never needed). The main thing I wanted to improve upon was the 1-2 shift, the 3-2 shift and the going into first gear issue. I have finally achieved some major improvement. This entire process is over about an 18 month period.

Just thought a few people might be interested in the changes I have made.

First change was a Numeric shifter, well made and love the super short throw setting. Car came with Porsche SS kit, but the shortest setting on the Numeric is even shorter and I like it. Takes a bit more force, but I still like it.

Next I installed Function First yellow transmission mount inserts. Didn't really notice any change in shifting.

I then installed Function First engine mounts. This added a fair amount of noise and vibration to the cabin and again didn't notice any improvement in the notchy 1-2 shift.

Next I changed fluid to Mobilube PTX. This was the most improvement to date.

Was never too thrilled with the Function First engine mounts due to the vibration and noise added to cabin. A month ago I installed Rennline yellow (street) engine mounts. Shifting perfection achieved!! Much quieter cabin and the first to second shift is now smooth as silk. I can actually "slam" it into second gear now and it is butter smooth. In the past I would be very cautious from first to second and take my time to allow the synchros to mesh. Going into first gear from stop is also crisp and easy. A little surprised that engine mounts made such a huge difference, but thrilled.

Have found a new joy in driving this beautiful machine. I know I get a little grin on my face every time I leave a stop light and shift into second gear and think, "yup, still perfect".

Time to go for another drive...just because!!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:58 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good summary:

Numeric with shortest setting
Rennline Yellow engine mounts
Mobilube PTX for transaxle

But you're not happy with Function First engine mounts? But are they soft/medium/hard?

Old 07-31-2016, 11:13 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks for that @dasdman I did the PTX oil a couple of weeks ago and it was a noticeable improvement but still did not get to 100% shift slamming like you describe, now I am thinking of add the Rennline yellow engine mounts.

How much noticeable NVH (noise, vibaration, harness) if any was introduced into the cabin by the Rennline yellow when compared with the stock engine mount ?

How many hours did it take to have the engine mount replaced ?

Last edited by lowbee; 07-31-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Philster
Good summary:

But you're not happy with Function First engine mounts? But are they soft/medium/hard?

They stopped manufacturing engine mounts. The took stock mounts and filled them with stiff rubber (not sure the exact process or filler used). Not having anything to compare them to, I guess I would have called them hard due to the big increase in vibration and noise.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbee
How much noticeable NVH (noise, vibaration, harness) if any was introduced into the cabin by the Rennline yellow when compared with the stock engine mount ?
Hard for me to remember what the stock mounts were like. They were a vast improvement over the FF mounts that I have had on the car for 16 months or so. Less vibration and less noise. You still get an increase from stock I am sure, but to me it makes it seem more "sports car" like. Adding the Fister mufflers helped in this regard also.

Originally Posted by lowbee
How many hours did it take to have the engine mount replaced ?
Very easy DIY, takes about an hour, maybe hour and a half. Took me longer to assemble to Rennline mounts I think
Old 07-31-2016, 01:55 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great information, thanks. I replaced with PTX in my 10K mile car, but I would still like better cold shifting performance and I agree that 1-2 shift has me holding back just to give the synchros the chance to do their thing.

So, motor mounts made the biggest difference to you, it seems. Transmission mounts not so much.

Maybe age (6 years) is enough to deteriorate motor mounts enough to make a difference in their performance. Might be worth a try to swap.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by mreloc
So, motor mounts made the biggest difference to you, it seems. Transmission mounts not so much.
Maybe age (6 years) is enough to deteriorate motor mounts enough to make a difference in their performance. Might be worth a try to swap.
From my experience, the right motor mounts were the thing that brought it all together. Not sure if already having the transmission inserts installed contribute the overall continuity of the engine and trans being in the right position or not, perhaps.

Might be worth a try, mounts weren't too bad ($350) and if nothing else they look damn pretty!!

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2016, 11:27 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this sounds crazy, but I just replaced my shift kn_ob and boot with a used one in a different color, and my shifter feels a lot tighter than it did before. It was creaking and felt generally wobbly (yes everything was installed correctly), but now it's quiet and just feels more solid in the hand. And I haven't had it balk going into 1st at a light since the changeover. PTX didn't do diddly for it.

Idk what the reason is, makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth
Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is a bitch from 1-2 depending on footwear. Numeric shifter, lowest setting. Gear lube changed at dealer and GT3 alcantara shifter and **** just installed.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:58 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Mine is a bitch from 1-2 depending on footwear. Numeric shifter, lowest setting. Gear lube changed at dealer and GT3 alcantara shifter and **** just installed.
Was the oil changed to Mobilube? I changed mine three times, Porsche, Motul 300 (was better than original), and Mobilube PTX. Mobilube made the best improvement.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

How does the numeric shifter feel compared to the function first ball bearing shift kit? From what I've read, I know the FF is not a short shifter but reduces the slop and has a more gated feel. It can also be paired with a short shifter kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but numeric seems to already do what FF does + multiple short shifter settings?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
How does the numeric shifter feel compared to the function first ball bearing shift kit? From what I've read, I know the FF is not a short shifter but reduces the slop and has a more gated feel. It can also be paired with a short shifter kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but numeric seems to already do what FF does + multiple short shifter settings?
I can't respond to the difference in feel between the two. My car came with a OEM SS kit and I changed that to a the Numeric. I can say that the Numeric is a very high quality, well built unit.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:41 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dasdman
I can't respond to the difference in feel between the two. My car came with a OEM SS kit and I changed that to a the Numeric. I can say that the Numeric is a very high quality, well built unit.
I already pulled the trigger and went with the Numeric. I was convinced after reading all the positive reviews, as well as comparisons between Numeric, oem ssk, and b&m. I also figured it was the best value proposition since it changes the feel (gated tight shifting, removes the slop, etc) + already includes adjustable shifter throw. Only thing I need to remember is to change transmission fluid to Mobilube PTX like everyone recommends when I take my 911 to the Indy for install.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:18 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
I already pulled the trigger and went with the Numeric. I was convinced after reading all the positive reviews, as well as comparisons between Numeric, oem ssk, and b&m. I also figured it was the best value proposition since it changes the feel (gated tight shifting, removes the slop, etc) + already includes adjustable shifter throw. Only thing I need to remember is to change transmission fluid to Mobilube PTX like everyone recommends when I take my 911 to the Indy for install.
If you are a DIY'er at all, neither of these are too hard to do. I would say the Numeric took about 2 hours to do, but could do it in half that time if needed to do it again.

The hardest part of the oil change is removing the under-car plastics to get to the transmission.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:40 PM
ebackes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the exact same issue in my 2009 C4S since I bought it in the spring. Notchiness in 1st & 2nd, and an occasional unwillingness to go into those gears (usually at the worst possible time). It sounds like you've made all of the mods I've either done or am considering. I hope I can achieve the same results.

I'm trying to do 1 mod at a time so I can see the difference that each one makes, going from least to most expensive.

1) Mobilube PTX: Did absolutely nothing. A lot of guys get great results, but no dice here.
2) Function First trans mount inserts (yellow, sport): Didn't do anything for the notchiness, but made the shifts feel a bit more solid. I'm very happy with the overall results (better handling & acceleration), but the shifting isn't there yet. I can see why you wouldn't notice a difference if you did the Numeric first. It probably already feels much more solid than stock.
3) Semisolid engine mounts: Next on my list. Haven't decided on a brand or hardness yet, but your post has me leaning strongly toward the Rennline yellows. Would love to get the results you did.
4) Numeric shifter: Doesn't really matter what the engine mounts do. I'll probably do this one anyway to improve the shifter feel. From this and other threads, it doesn't sound like this would fix the notchiness, but I really want the rifle bolt action in my shifter.
5) Replace synchros: I hope it doesn't come to this, but I'm afraid some worn synchros may be contributing to the problem. I've only got 49K miles, but who knows what the previous owner did. I'll be extremely happy if I can stop at #3 and just do #4 because I want to.

Quick Reply: Shifting nirvana finally acheived