Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016 | 10:11 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Never regretted it.
Old 07-31-2016 | 10:16 AM
CT944
Drifting

No regrets either and I came from some of the best manuals ever (GT3, Turbo, C4S, etc).
Old 07-31-2016 | 10:18 AM
vbb
Pro

While there are certainly purists out there that would only want to row their own gears, I think a lot of the trepidation regarding the pdk is based on the stigma of driving an "automatic" sports car. Most people are not "car" people, but they at least know what a Porsche is. I have lost count of the number of times that people have taken a look at my car and been blown away by it at first (and it's just a base 997.2), but then later asked why didn't you get the manual? Many people who don't even own sports cars and probably never would somehow have been programmed to think the only way a sports car should be made is with a manual transmission. That stigma exists and influences a lot of our thoughts whether we like to admit it or not.

If performance is the ultimate goal, there can be no argument that the pdk outperforms a similarly equipped car in 6-speed manual. And really, when talking about a sports car, performance ought to be at the top of the list. But I suspect that manual transmissions will always be a preference of most sports car buyers.

As I said earlier in this post, had all things been equal, I would have also defaulted to only looking at 6 speed manual cars. I like rowing my own gears, and I also didn't want the negative stigma of buying an automatic sports car. I fell for it too. But for reasons previously mentioned, I got the pdk, and honestly I cannot say that my driving pleasure has suffered because of it. This car still brings Miles of Smiles and can be extremely engaging to drive at or near limits. If this were your typical automatic transmission, I am confident I would not be able to say this.
Old 07-31-2016 | 10:31 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Don't miss the third pedal.

I do miss the certainty of knowing what gear I am in. And there is the feeling that my manual shift might coincide with an automatic downshift for a total of 2. That can brake the car quite a bit.
Old 07-31-2016 | 12:44 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

No regrets at all. However I have a 987S with MT but the 997.2 with PDK is much faster. Love both of them
Old 07-31-2016 | 12:56 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

When I ordered my 997.2 over five years ago, I went with the manual, with no subsequent regrets. However, I recently test drove a 2013 Panamara GTS on back roads and PDK in sport plus was as good as it gets--the multi gear downshifts were out of this world. The sound of the NA V8 contributed to the sensation, and at this point I want both a manual 911 and a PDK sports sedan with some sort of sports exhaust.
Old 07-31-2016 | 02:04 PM
F308gt4
Racer

On a modern car, PDK all the way. Don't miss a manual at all, especially since my car is a daily driver.

On a classic car, I'd go for a manual.
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:01 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ten Years

We get it, some people will never, ever, ever, ever, never ever ever buy a dual clutch transmission equipped car. We get it.

This seems more like the OP asking existing owners our informed opinions.
I'm not one of those people. I own a double-clutch transmission equipped car, and am happy with it and would buy one again in a heartbeat. Just not a 911. I also gave serious consideration to buying a PDK 911, and drove several, on several occasions. My opinion is just as informed as an existing owner's...minus the bias created when facing a 5-figure hit trading over to a stick.
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:29 PM
SnP
Racer

Have PDK in my C4S and F1 in my Quattroporte.

They are a blast!
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:30 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

I have a 997.2 CS cab with pdk, I do enjoy driving it, it more relaxing and pdk would make a great daily. However the 6speed is far more engaging and enjoyable experience eveytime.
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:54 PM
WV997S
Racer

Originally Posted by Ten Years

I miss having a three pedal manual, maybe 17% of the time. That doesn't mean I enjoy driving my PDK car only 83% of the time. I absolutely love driving it, every single time I drive it.
Ok....I gotta kinow, why not 16% or why not 21%. Not trying to be a smart A...(maybe a little) but I gotta know if there is a reason for those numbers or if there is an excel spreadsheet to back this up?

if you were at 12% I might consider going PDK, but for 17% I am not going to risk it!
Old 07-31-2016 | 06:29 PM
vern1
Race Car

Honestly, whos going to come on here after buying a pdk and admit they made a mistake or had regrets?
Old 07-31-2016 | 06:48 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
While there are certainly purists out there that would only want to row their own gears, I think a lot of the trepidation regarding the pdk is based on the stigma of driving an "automatic" sports car. Most people are not "car" people, but they at least know what a Porsche is. I have lost count of the number of times that people have taken a look at my car and been blown away by it at first (and it's just a base 997.2), but then later asked why didn't you get the manual? Many people who don't even own sports cars and probably never would somehow have been programmed to think the only way a sports car should be made is with a manual transmission. That stigma exists and influences a lot of our thoughts whether we like to admit it or not.

If performance is the ultimate goal, there can be no argument that the pdk outperforms a similarly equipped car in 6-speed manual. And really, when talking about a sports car, performance ought to be at the top of the list. But I suspect that manual transmissions will always be a preference of most sports car buyers.

As I said earlier in this post, had all things been equal, I would have also defaulted to only looking at 6 speed manual cars. I like rowing my own gears, and I also didn't want the negative stigma of buying an automatic sports car. I fell for it too. But for reasons previously mentioned, I got the pdk, and honestly I cannot say that my driving pleasure has suffered because of it. This car still brings Miles of Smiles and can be extremely engaging to drive at or near limits. If this were your typical automatic transmission, I am confident I would not be able to say this.
I think there is a lot of truth to this (perception of PDK by the vast majority of people who aren't car enthusiasts)
Old 07-31-2016 | 07:20 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1
Honestly, whos going to come on here after buying a pdk and admit they made a mistake or had regrets?

An adult capable of owning their mistakes. I've made a mistake on an expensive car and would admit to it as that. Having money in it changes nothing. A mistake is a mistake. Be prideful on the internet with strangers? Not sure why anyone would do that.
Old 07-31-2016 | 07:28 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fined
An adult capable of owning their mistakes. I've made a mistake on an expensive car and would admit to it as that. Having money in it changes nothing. A mistake is a mistake. Be prideful on the internet with strangers? Not sure why anyone would do that.
I think you're kidding yourself. Have you seen the arguments that erupt on here over the smallest things? No one like to admit their mistakes/regrets regardless of how "adult" they are (or think they are). Human nature regardless of the forum

Quick Reply: Anyone go from manual to PDK regret it?