Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from manual to PDK regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Jason997.1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from manual to PDK regret it?

Despite the fact my daily is an electric...

I test drove a PDK car. My left foot felt weird having nothing to do in a sports car, and even in manual mode I felt a bit lost as to what gear I was in or how many gears I needed to downshift. I tested manual mode and used the paddle shifters.

Don't get me wrong, the tech is pretty awesome...

Has anyone gone from a manual to the PDK, felt apprehension at first, then learned to love the PDK?

Or went to a PDK and regretted it?

Cheers.

Last edited by Jason997.1; 07-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a PDK. There's a part of me that will always want a manual, and if I ever upgrade to a GTS or turbo I'll probably be looking at manual first. I originally got it because my wife stated that she wanted to have a car she could drive too, but now she never drives it and has her own fun car. That said, I've learned to really like the PDK. It shifts soooo fast in Sport Plus, and is very fun in full manual mode where you do the up and down shifting yourself. I have the sport wheel with the paddles instead of the "buttons." And in traffic, it is way more convenient. The manual may make you feel like you're driving faster, but in the pdk you actually are driving faster.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Jason997.1
Advanced

Did you feel lost at first, or have buyer's remorse?

How is it on mountain roads?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason997.1
Did you feel lost at first, or have buyer's remorse?

How is it on mountain roads?
It's a car. We are grown-ups here. If you try a PDK car, and end up not enjoying it as much as you need to, to feel constant reassurance that you have made the right decision, just sell it and buy something else. Sorry, not jumping on you; the overall tone, lately, of so many threads has been one of debilitating indecision, skepticism, high anxiety, etc.

I was a die-hard manual fan. I went with two 997.2 PDK cars. They are great. Can't fault the tech. But you need to drive it just as you would drive a manual, meaning downshift and engine brake, wring it out througn the rev range, etc. I don't think I've ever driven it in auto mode, ever. In that way, it is genuinely enjoyable. Banging out two or three up shifts in a row at wide open throttle is very exciting. That sound! The feel of unrelenting constant forward thrust, with no drop in acceleration. It's addicting in its own way.

I miss having a three pedal manual, maybe 17% of the time. That doesn't mean I enjoy driving my PDK car only 83% of the time. I absolutely love driving it, every single time I drive it. I often smile when I think to myself how PDK is truly the state-of-the-art. The paddles are very engaging, in their own way. Love that Porsche's paddles are solid aluminum. Makes a huge difference. If you're curious, try one out. You might just end up as another convert. If not, someone else would gladly take it off your hands. It's nothing to get too worked up about, IMO. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketcar (08-19-2020)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Jason997.1
Advanced

Great input.

No I haven't bought the PDK car yet... trying to make a decision.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

I don't miss the manual as much as I thought I would. PDK has really grown on me, the super quick shifts in sport plus are intoxicating. I think the true test is if I were to buy another 911 today would I buy a manual or a PDK and the answer is I would probably go PDK again. The only reason I'd possibly buy a manual would be to switch it up to something different.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

A little off topic, i went from manual in my 997 c4s to dual clutch AMG GT S and it's a blast, I drive it in manual - sports plus mode 24/7
So much fun
Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason997.1
Despite the fact my daily is an electric...

I test drove a PDK car. My left foot felt weird having nothing to do in a sports car, and even in manual mode I felt a bit lost as to what gear I was in or how many gears I needed to downshift. I tested manual mode and used the paddle shifters.

Don't get me wrong, the tech is pretty awesome...

Has anyone gone from a manual to the PDK, felt apprehension at first, then learned to love the PDK?

Or went to a PDK and regretted it?

Cheers.
I always was a strictly manual fan for all my sports cars, until l got my c2s with PDK. I must say I love it. It's like having best of both worlds. I live in Metro nyc and with traffic I could definitely do without a third pedal lol. Plus pdk shifts faster than any human and it feels like it knows exactly the gear you want. You have to understand that it's not an automatic transmission - it's automated manual. Just gives you so many more driving options. Steering wheel buttons/paddles, manual shift mode, auto mode.. I don't regret getting pdk one bit
Old 07-31-2016, 12:13 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Nope. Last P car was a 6 speed Cayman S. Was looking for PDK only. No regrets.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
It's a car. We are grown-ups here. If you try a PDK car, and end up not enjoying it as much as you need to, to feel constant reassurance that you have made the right decision, just sell it and buy something else. Sorry, not jumping on you; the overall tone, lately, of so many threads has been one of debilitating indecision, skepticism, high anxiety, etc.

I was a die-hard manual fan. I went with two 997.2 PDK cars. They are great. Can't fault the tech. But you need to drive it just as you would drive a manual, meaning downshift and engine brake, wring it out througn the rev range, etc. I don't think I've ever driven it in auto mode, ever. In that way, it is genuinely enjoyable. Banging out two or three up shifts in a row at wide open throttle is very exciting. That sound! The feel of unrelenting constant forward thrust, with no drop in acceleration. It's addicting in its own way.

I miss having a three pedal manual, maybe 17% of the time. That doesn't mean I enjoy driving my PDK car only 83% of the time. I absolutely love driving it, every single time I drive it. I often smile when I think to myself how PDK is truly the state-of-the-art. The paddles are very engaging, in their own way. Love that Porsche's paddles are solid aluminum. Makes a huge difference. If you're curious, try one out. You might just end up as another convert. If not, someone else would gladly take it off your hands. It's nothing to get too worked up about, IMO. Best of luck.
Excellent post-- with some good advice/insight.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

I think your decision might depend on how you plan to use the car. Are you going to commute to work in it? Track only? Weekends only? All of the above? Think about how you plan to use the car and what would make more sense for that.

I drive mine to work regularly in traffic, take it on short weekend trips, drive in AutoX, and on the track (only once so far, but plan to do more). For my multi-use situation, the PDK is great & versatile. Obviously, it's nice in traffic not having to be constantly on the clutch. It's nice on the track because I can keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on other things instead of choosing gears. If I want to feel more involved, I can always use the paddle shifters, although honestly, I leave it in auto mode most of the time and just switch between normal, sport, and sport plus. And like Leon said, the PDK seems to know which gear you want, probably based on driving input, so it's a really good system.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't need to buy one to know buying one would be a costly mistake for me. All I needed was to drive one a few blocks. I was already itching to get back into a stick. Paddle shifting doesn't give me the sports-car experience I'm after. For me a Fiat 500 Abarth with a stick is more exhilarating than a Porsche with PDK. Horses for courses.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:49 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I don't need to buy one to know buying one would be a costly mistake for me. All I needed was to drive one a few blocks. I was already itching to get back into a stick. Paddle shifting doesn't give me the sports-car experience I'm after. For me a Fiat 500 Abarth with a stick is more exhilarating than a Porsche with PDK. Horses for courses.
Here we go again.

Let's not make this into another PDK vs manual thread. We get it, some people will never, ever, ever, ever, never ever ever buy a dual clutch transmission equipped car. We get it.

This seems more like the OP asking existing owners our informed opinions.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

PDK is best on a race track... Nothing like banging through the gears full throttle on a paddle wheel. It is the closest you will get to a 911 RSR with its sequential box.
Love it!
Love the sounds and the performance
Old 07-31-2016, 09:30 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I spent some time driving my 6 speed car yesterday. It was enjoyable to spend the time rowing gears. But it isn't something I miss in my PDK car. I've never gotten into the 6 speed car and gone for a drive because I miss rowing gears.

I drive my PDK car in sport+ and manual mode 100% of the time. I want all the car has to give every single time I turn the key.

As Ten Years has pointed out on a number of occasions, if you drive the car exactly as you would a manual gearbox there isn't anything to miss. Not just changing gears, but using the same strategies of managing the gearbox, engine speed, shift points.. etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from manual to PDK regret it?