Sponsored by:

Question about buying a 997.2 in San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about buying a 997.2 in San Jose

Have any of you Bay Area folks gone to check out this car yet? I'm interested, but I live 300+ miles away in Pasadena. I tried calling RMG, Stevens Creek Porsche, and The RennList to inquire about a PPI inspection, but it appears they are all closed on the weekend. I called the dealerships, and you would have thought I was speaking Greek. The guy knew nothing about PPI's or Porsches, but agreed to drop it off to get it done so long as I was paying.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:09 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

They knocked 2 grand off it in the past 8 days...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/5695696490.html
http://www.bluedotmotors.com/newandu...ll=1&MakeID=55

And I found a dead link when doing a VIN search showing price of $39,888

It doesn't answer your question about a PPI but I hope it gives you some insight into your prospective purchase, and at least some bargaining leverage
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:41 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
They knocked 2 grand off it in the past 8 days...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/5695696490.html
http://www.bluedotmotors.com/newandu...ll=1&MakeID=55

And I found a dead link when doing a VIN search showing price of $39,888

It doesn't answer your question about a PPI but I hope it gives you some insight into your prospective purchase, and at least some bargaining leverage
That helps a lot actually thank you. The price is really cheap, and my buddy who has gone through a few 911's said its cheap for a reason. I wasn't sure if they listed it recently, or are having trouble unloading it. The dealer said its been in an accident but isn't sure the extent of it.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

They knew nothing about PPIs?!? That seems odd to me. I think you need to also research this dealer. Maybe a thread in the appropriate regional forum?
T
Old 07-30-2016, 09:55 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
They knew nothing about PPIs?!? That seems odd to me. I think you need to also research this dealer. Maybe a thread in the appropriate regional forum?
T
It's the second time this week that's happen. I took a car to get checked in LA and the owner has disabiled the PASM by putting in cheap coil overs. And the car was so low the muffler and radiator was all dented and scraped up. All in all about $10k to get it the way it should be 60k service and all. I bring up the PPI and its like they speak a different language. I looked into that dealer and they don't have a ton of reviews. It seems normal.

I called back as someone else using the info from the poster above and the dealer fed me a bunch of BS. So I'm going to pass. Said they had the car lower and it had a bunch of inquiries so they raised the price. If that's the case, why is the car still there? I brought up the fact that they lowered it $2k in a week, and they claimed its on sale this weekend only.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

If I can find some time, I can check it out tomorrow if you're interested. I live really close to there. If you can get them to take it for a PPI, I'd recommend Don Wise - http://www.donsautowerks.com. I got a PPI done there and a couple of guys I know take their cars there.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rYbOsOmE
It's the second time this week that's happen. I took a car to get checked in LA and the owner has disabiled the PASM by putting in cheap coil overs. And the car was so low the muffler and radiator was all dented and scraped up. All in all about $10k to get it the way it should be 60k service and all. I bring up the PPI and its like they speak a different language. I looked into that dealer and they don't have a ton of reviews. It seems normal.

I called back as someone else using the info from the poster above and the dealer fed me a bunch of BS. So I'm going to pass. Said they had the car lower and it had a bunch of inquiries so they raised the price. If that's the case, why is the car still there? I brought up the fact that they lowered it $2k in a week, and they claimed its on sale this weekend only.
I'd avoid this dealer. Something seems a tad shady...T
Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 AM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Thanks @ducati_john, but I think I'm just going to pass. Everything about this place seems shady, especially after the second phone call.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rYbOsOmE
That helps a lot actually thank you. The price is really cheap, and my buddy who has gone through a few 911's said its cheap for a reason. I wasn't sure if they listed it recently, or are having trouble unloading it. The dealer said its been in an accident but isn't sure the extent of it.
Hi, if it helps you at all, I bought my 997 c4s from jakes motor cars in San Diego, the salesperson was Nick.
I got a great deal, they were very good to deal with, I'm in Vancouver Canada and it was my first and only time buying a car from the US, (due to the dollar being even then etc)
What greatly helped me in my decision to buy from them was, at that time, in January 2010 on eBay, they had 100% feedback on 400 vehicles sold, many of them exotics.
So, just a mention, perhaps check their site and see if something is a fit for you. I've got no vested interest except to be helpful
Cheers
Gordon
Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 PM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Hi, if it helps you at all, I bought my 997 c4s from jakes motor cars in San Diego, the salesperson was Nick.
I got a great deal, they were very good to deal with, I'm in Vancouver Canada and it was my first and only time buying a car from the US, (due to the dollar being even then etc)
What greatly helped me in my decision to buy from them was, at that time, in January 2010 on eBay, they had 100% feedback on 400 vehicles sold, many of them exotics.
So, just a mention, perhaps check their site and see if something is a fit for you. I've got no vested interest except to be helpful
Cheers
Gordon
Thanks, I'll check it out right now.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 329 Posts

I took a spin over to see this car this afternoon.

The big takeaway... Only buy this car after seeing it in person, don't buy sight unseen.

Let's start with the positives...
  • We have a 2009 C4S with LWBs at ~$10K under local SF Bay area asking price (for similar spec cars).
  • I took it for a 15 min spin on 280 (local Rennlisters will know this) and it felt tight.
  • I haven't driven a 997.2 w/PDK before, but it seemed to have decent poke, the transmission shifted smoothly in regular mode, hammered home in Sport Plus manual mode - what you'd expect (I think).

However...
  • It has a number of cosmetic issues that may or may not be tolerable depending on the individual.
  • That wouldn't scare me if the price is right and I had extremely thorough PPIs performed (one at an reputable Indy for the mechanical bits, one at a body shop for the frame/paint/etc). In someways, a slightly ratty car gives you license to beat on it (trackdays, etc.).
  • But if you're looking for the car to impress the inlaws, or have it parked by the valet outside the restaurant, this probably isn't the one

As to the cosmetic issues, a few examples:
  • It has a god awful aftermarket rear deck and wing. Needs to be thrown in the trash. I'd factor in looking at getting a used rear C4S deck (Parts Heaven, etc.) and painting it.
  • There's scuffs everywhere. A lot could be detailed out, but there's some real paint blemishs. By no means disasterous, but you'd want to eyeball it in person as everyone has different tolerance levels.
  • The front headlights are aftermarket, not a fault per say, but aftermarket lights make me nervous
  • The driver LWB has fading where you head hits the back of the seat, and the orange cushions have stains. But there's black cushions with it as well, so maybe not a big deal
  • As was mentioned above, it was hit in the rear. They said it wasn't big hit. The fact that the rear left light looked original, whilst the rear right is new supports that claim. The rear window looked original. But again, a PPI by a body shop would confirm that.

As regards the dealership, the two people I spoke to seemed to know the details, helpful without being pushy. No alarm bells. I can't circle that with the OPs experience with them.

And now the standard disclaimer... No affiliation, no interest, blah, blah, blah.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 07-31-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 AM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
I took a spin over to see this car this afternoon.

The big takeaway... Only buy this car after seeing it in person, don't buy sight unseen.

Let's start with the positives...
  • We have a 2009 C4S with LWBs at ~$10K under local SF Bay area asking price (for similar spec cars).
  • I took it for a 15 min spin on 280 (local Rennlisters will know this) and it felt tight.
  • I haven't driven a 997.2 w/PDK before, but it seemed to have decent poke, the transmission shifted smoothly in regular mode, hammered home in Sport Plus manual mode - what you'd expect (I think).

However...
  • It has a number of cosmetic issues that may or may not be tolerable depending on the individual.
  • That wouldn't scare me if the price is right and I had extremely thorough PPIs performed (one at an reputable Indy for the mechanical bits, one at a body shop for the frame/paint/etc). In someways, a slightly ratty car gives you license to beat on it (trackdays, etc.).
  • But if you're looking for the car to impress the inlaws, or have it parked by the valet outside the restaurant, this probably isn't the one

As to the cosmetic issues, a few examples:
  • It has a god awful aftermarket rear deck and wing. Needs to be thrown in the trash. I'd factor in looking at getting a used rear C4S deck (Parts Heaven, etc.) and painting it.
  • There's scuffs everywhere. A lot could be detailed out, but there's some real paint blemishs. By no means disasterous, but you'd want to eyeball it in person as everyone has different tolerance levels.
  • The front headlights are aftermarket, not a fault per say, but aftermarket lights make me nervous
  • The driver LWB has fading where you head hits the back of the seat, and the orange cushions have stains. But there's black cushions with it as well, so maybe not a big deal
  • As was mentioned above, it was hit in the rear. They said it wasn't big hit. The fact that the rear left light looked original, whilst the rear right is new supports that claim. The rear window looked original. But again, a PPI by a body shop would confirm that.

As regards the dealership, the two people I spoke to seemed to know the details, helpful without being pushy. No alarm bells. I can't circle that with the OPs experience with them.

And now the standard disclaimer... No affiliation, no interest, blah, blah, blah.

Karl.

Awesome thanks a lot Karl!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 234 Posts

This is obviously a 2009 launch car, just like mine
One thing I noticed is that in the craigslist ad, they are listing several items that the car doesn't have (10 way power seat, heated seats, rear wheel drive), probably just cut & paste from info they found somewhere, but for me that means these guys don't know what they are selling
Yeah, the cup wing looks horrible, not sure how easy it will be to find a used decklid for a C4S (with the red stripe)...

But then again, this car is *very* cheap
Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

when you talk to a porsche dealer about inspecting a car, ask for a complete CPO inspection. that checks everything on the car that porsche requires to give it a cpo warrantee
Old 08-03-2016, 10:12 AM
rYbOsOmE
Intermediate

Yea this car turns out to be an easy pass.

Quick Reply: Question about buying a 997.2 in San Jose