Sponsored by:

Beige/black interior refresh done

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Beige/black interior refresh done

Installed everything today. My beige shift boot looked pretty tired and discolored once I got it off and took a good look at it so I went with all-black. Used the silver-color shift pattern cap too, as it's more updated than the shiny black one that was standard in '05. The shift came off very easily btw. I was expecting a fight.

Next step is a set of black floormats, on order. And yes I'm going to give my seat a good clean and condition. The discoloring is from a pair of new jeans...turned my skivvies blue also

Last edited by Ben Z; 07-29-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:05 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

wow - that looks great! Need to do that to mine in the future
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Good looking. Tasteful. Good contrast. But, seriously, new jeans in a beige car? Hang your head in shame!
T
Old 07-29-2016, 11:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Get new key and headlight surround in black as well. Did it with mine and looks great. And cheap too. Pics in one of my threads
Cheers
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
But, seriously, new jeans in a beige car? Hang your head in shame!
T
Lol, Costco had Calvins for $12 a pair. I should've known there was a catch.

Originally Posted by vern1
Get new key and headlight surround in black as well. Did it with mine and looks great. And cheap too. Pics in one of my threads
Cheers
Great minds think alike Vern I ordered a black ignition rosette today along with black mats and package-shelf mat. The one on my headlamp switch is black underneath (I can see where it's peeling) so first I'm going to just peel the paint off of the part that shows. If it doesn't look good then I'll order a new black one.

Also ordered a set of clear side markers.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Pic with black ignition and headlight switch rosettes and black OEM floormats. Headlight switch I just removed the beige paint, gave it a light sandblast and reinstalled. Seat discoloration from jeans cleaned off well.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Looks better with the additional black. Think the doors need something though, like 1 or 2 of: bottom carpet piece, door spears, handles, compartment lids, or something(s) to tie it all together.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:08 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Looks nice. I'm looking at two 911s with Sand Beige interior....love the cars...but not a fan of sand Beige. Breaking it up with black accents looks good. I suggest do the two panels besides the radio console in black too. The ones I'm looking at have beige gauges too....its really yucky looking. Not quite sure if I can take it....
Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Looks nice. I'm looking at two 911s with Sand Beige interior....love the cars...but not a fan of sand Beige. Breaking it up with black accents looks good. I suggest do the two panels besides the radio console in black too. The ones I'm looking at have beige gauges too....its really yucky looking. Not quite sure if I can take it....
Those can be modded. I wouldn't let that stop you from buying a well sorted 997 that you otherwise love...T

Last edited by tomc_mets; 09-07-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks better with the additional black. Think the doors need something though, like 1 or 2 of: bottom carpet piece, door spears, handles, compartment lids, or something(s) to tie it all together.
Funny you should mention the doors, I was thinking that myself. The strip of plastic below the compartment lid gets hit by the seatbelt latch when I let go of it and no matter how many times I touch it up it's always chipped. I can see it's black plastic underneath, so with a little masking to protect the surroundings I should be able to do it without removing anything. PS rendering:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Funny you should mention the doors, I was thinking that myself. The strip of plastic below the compartment lid gets hit by the seatbelt latch when I let go of it and no matter how many times I touch it up it's always chipped. I can see it's black plastic underneath, so with a little masking to protect the surroundings I should be able to do it without removing anything. PS rendering:
I think the more you can tie it all together, the better. I think you need black door spears (the part behind the opening handle that the window switches are also in, black vertical handle (the one you use to close the door), and that small horizontal piece between the two speakers. With you black floor mats, black door carpeting would be even better. You might be able to find a good deal on a pair of black interior door panels to take the parts you want and junk the leftovers.

My wife's car originally had a black interior with the painted metallic silver trim. I bought a set of alcantara & leather panels, installed the leather pieces into her car, the silver pieces onto the alcantara panels and then sold those off. Here's a link to a Shutterfly gallery where I posted pictures of them when I had them for sale so you can see what those pieces I mentioned in my posts would look like in a contrasting color to the main panel color.

http://porsche997interiortrim.shutterfly.com/

I probably have a spare pair of black plastic door spears that were removed from my doors when I did my CF replacements if you want them for a cheap price. They were removed and you have to melt the rivet welds to get them out so they will have to be reinstalled by using the remelt or the screw method - I much prefer the screw method as it allows you to adjust the tension at all the attachment points for the proper fit - pictures 33-36 in the Shutterfly gallery linked abpve show you what that looks like, and at some point, probably back in 2013, I did a detailed post on the procedure for swapping door spears and reinstalling with the screws. I've done 3 sets of them so far.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's what my doors looks like with contrasting CF trim in those areas.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

My only reason for doing this was ease of maintenance on high-use/wear leather pieces (shifter, e-brake and wheel). The dash pieces were just to help those blend in, and they were dirt cheap and easy to do. I'm really not after throwing any more money and time into it than absolutely necessary. The one thing I'd love is black seats, as they are a TON easier to redye just the bolsters as needed without having to custom-mix for a color match to the rest of the seat. Beige is a nightmare. But if I went with black seats front and rear, cost-wise I'd be halfway (at least) to a complete interior swap from a wreck. And I have no place to store the original stuff. I'm keeping all the bits I swapped, so if and when I sell the car I could put it back to original easily, if the buyer wanted it.

Quick Reply: Beige/black interior refresh done