Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Vendors for Cabin Led light upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Recommended Vendors for Cabin Led light upgrades?

Dear enthusiasts, so my primary console light bulb burnt out and I figure it is a good time to swap out all OEM cabin bulbs for an LED kit I've seen some vendors here in the past offer like ECS I believe..

That being said, anyone have recent purchase and highly recommend a good kit of LED's to change out all my cabin OEM lights?

Thanks in advance as always
Old 07-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Cysco
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

suncoast is your jam.

at the end of the day, we're talking light bulbs. i'd imagine they're all the same.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

I just put in a set from ECStuning, they work fine as described.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also looking to do this mod
Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed these- http://www.ebay.com/itm/181208787882?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT shipped from U.S. a little more expensive than some of the alternatives on eBay. All work very nicely and replace license plate lights, all interior lights and frunk light. Only hassles are the footwell light holders are a little bit of a pain to uninstall and remove the metal casing to get to the bulb. Also, be very careful with the glove box light- unplug the fixture before monkeying with the bulb or else you'll blow the microswitch (there is no fuse for it) and the harness will need replacing. I learned from experience...
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

or try ijdmtoys
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely Suncoast. The color temperature is white (i.e. not blue or yellow) and all the bulbs match.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got some off of eBay, probably spent less than $5 total. Shipping took forever from China but I wasn't in a hurry. Everything works great. No problems.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:15 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by mreloc
I just installed these- 12pc x Porsche 911 997 Interior LED Package Kit Package License Plate LED | eBay shipped from U.S. a little more expensive than some of the alternatives on eBay. All work very nicely and replace license plate lights, all interior lights and frunk light. Only hassles are the footwell light holders are a little bit of a pain to uninstall and remove the metal casing to get to the bulb. Also, be very careful with the glove box light- unplug the fixture before monkeying with the bulb or else you'll blow the microswitch (there is no fuse for it) and the harness will need replacing. I learned from experience...
Thanks very much everyone.

Also, the above tips are most appreciated sir. >> update: just ordered the kit , thank you mreloc for the link

Last edited by vg247; 07-26-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Ebay or Amazon is your bestfriend. Mine all work great./
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought the same package for my 997.2 that mreloc got off ebay ( Blastled) Some of the swaps were plug and play but with others I had to do a lot of fiddling with the contacts in the sockets to get the LEDs to work. Placed a call to the vendor for assistance and they tried to be helpful but I still spent over 2 hours fiddling with contacts before successful. Could not complete swap of map lights and broke one of the metal tabs on the bulb holder trying to adjust to make contact. Be very careful with glovebox and footwell lights as there is very little slack in the wiring harness and separating the light assembly from the harness socket is therefore difficult also those light assemblies have a metal shield/cover that must come off to get to where the bulb resides. Unplug them from the harness before attempting to change bulb and use a rag to hold the assembly as you unplug or you will get burned . The lights are on until you get them separated from the harness and very hot.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
I bought the same package for my 997.2 that mreloc got off ebay ( Blastled) Some of the swaps were plug and play but with others I had to do a lot of fiddling with the contacts in the sockets to get the LEDs to work. Placed a call to the vendor for assistance and they tried to be helpful but I still spent over 2 hours fiddling with contacts before successful. Could not complete swap of map lights and broke one of the metal tabs on the bulb holder trying to adjust to make contact. Be very careful with glovebox and footwell lights as there is very little slack in the wiring harness and separating the light assembly from the harness socket is therefore difficult also those light assemblies have a metal shield/cover that must come off to get to where the bulb resides. Unplug them from the harness before attempting to change bulb and use a rag to hold the assembly as you unplug or you will get burned . The lights are on until you get them separated from the harness and very hot.
appreciate the additional tips Bomar, they arrived and I should be on this project sometime next week.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, set aside some time. It took me nearly two hours to finish. Most of the fixtures pop out with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver. Door lights have long leads but footwell and glove box have very short leads from the wire harness.
dome/map light just pulls down/out from front edge (the side closest to windshield) then separate the cover/lens from the body by gently releasing the three plastic tabs on the edge of the assembly closest to you. Map light bulbs are in holders on the back side of the dome/maplight assembly and require 90 degree counter clockwise turn to remove. I broke the contact tab off one of the bulb holders trying to adjust contact point. Bulb will now not stay in designated hole. Engine light replacement requires unscrewing cooling fan assembly as the light holder is attached to it (unless you can stand on your head to pop the assembly out of the holder that is part of the fan shroud assembly). Make sure you separate all light holders from the harness, then change the bulbs and plug back in. Test fit first by just making contact with the harness plug. If light come on, push it all the way on to the harness plug and reassemble. If it doesn't light on test fit you will have to carefully examine contacts. I had several that would not light on test fit but as soon as I retried original bulb they lit immediately and I had to fiddle with contacts to get them working. All the LED bulbs are tested before they are sent out so if you have one that won't light , most likely it is a poor contact issue. License plate light assemblies are screwed in and require square torx bit to remove.
Ok now does anyone know where to get replacement maplight bulb holders other than Suncoast who has them for $10 each?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
Yeah, set aside some time. It took me nearly two hours to finish. Most of the fixtures pop out with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver. Door lights have long leads but footwell and glove box have very short leads from the wire harness.
dome/map light just pulls down/out from front edge (the side closest to windshield) then separate the cover/lens from the body by gently releasing the three plastic tabs on the edge of the assembly closest to you. Map light bulbs are in holders on the back side of the dome/maplight assembly and require 90 degree counter clockwise turn to remove. I broke the contact tab off one of the bulb holders trying to adjust contact point. Bulb will now not stay in designated hole. Engine light replacement requires unscrewing cooling fan assembly as the light holder is attached to it (unless you can stand on your head to pop the assembly out of the holder that is part of the fan shroud assembly). Make sure you separate all light holders from the harness, then change the bulbs and plug back in. Test fit first by just making contact with the harness plug. If light come on, push it all the way on to the harness plug and reassemble. If it doesn't light on test fit you will have to carefully examine contacts. I had several that would not light on test fit but as soon as I retried original bulb they lit immediately and I had to fiddle with contacts to get them working. All the LED bulbs are tested before they are sent out so if you have one that won't light , most likely it is a poor contact issue. License plate light assemblies are screwed in and require square torx bit to remove.
Ok now does anyone know where to get replacement maplight bulb holders other than Suncoast who has them for $10 each?
Thanks very much, this is really helpful.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:54 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought a cheap set off of ebay. The map light bulbs burned out in the housing. When I removed it, the head of the bulb melted away from the socket. I replaced those bulbs with ones from Amazon that had good reviews. These are all standard size bulbs. I think my total out of pocket was $50 or so and I've had them for a couple years now.

Recently, I just noticed the glove box LED is intermittent. I need to check it out.

The dome light has been fine along with the door, frunk and engine bay.

Quick Reply: Recommended Vendors for Cabin Led light upgrades?