Sponsored by:

paint matching

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts
Default paint matching

I had to do a bumper replacement on my white car, trouble is when I got it back the color looks more ivory or creme next to the body color which is very bright white. The shop said it's partially due to plastic vs metal body panels, but the little bumper bump outs which were not painted are pretty much the body color.

It would not be a big deal, but the rear panels are huge on this car, and it's pretty noticeable. He said they can re-do it, but he said it might not get better?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:11 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 110 Posts

Have him redo it till it matches.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:11 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Computers can perfectly match the color. Even on older aged paint.
No excuse. The type of surface makes no difference as long as they prime correctly.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Has to match!!

Tom
Old 07-21-2016, 03:20 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like amateur night at the paintshop Apollo
Old 07-21-2016, 04:12 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

thanks for the feedback, I will take it back, he admitted it was not matching well at least, and it did not look good under most lighting conditions.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:25 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

not an excuse as plastic vs metal, the paint is on the outer surface and doesnt know that material is under.

the factory painted parts may be painted seperately and may not match but painting now would be a cure for that. I know alot of bumpers and doors and hoods would have to be blended into the next panel but only as a last resort
Old 07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

It looked cream colored under florescent light, I contacted the paint shop and they will try it again.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:37 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

This is pretty lame on the paint shop’s part. The bright titanium pigment of Carrera white is easy to match. Much more so than a compounded pigment color like a warm or cream white. Under a clear coat a bright white does not fade or age, so that is generally not a factor.

Even the best painters can have an issue, typically a pro will sense a problem before applying multiple color and clear coats and correct it. Even if the discrepancy shows afterword, a decent shop would never finish stripping all the masking, replace trim parts and present the car to you, in hopes that you will accept and pay.

I always think if someone can’t do something right the first time without cutting corners, I doubt they will do it much better the second time. My dad would never let anything out of his shop if it wasn’t done to the best standard possible, even on budget jobs.

I hate being “handled” by tradesmen etc. Personally I would ask for at least a refund of the painting part of the repair and seek out a better, more honest shop to redo the job. No doubt this will cost you a lot more, but you can’t put a price on satisfaction/dissatisfaction.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

When I had paintwork on my car, the company actually surprised me when they came out with 3 different Arctic Silver variations, all with the same Porsche paint code (but with a different sub-code or part# of some sort). I had never heard of this before. They showed me chips for all three, one was noticeably bluer, the other two were just slightly different somehow. We held each of the three up to the car at different angles in good sunlight and went with the one that was the best match.... it ended up being perfect.

Maybe there are similar variations of white as well? I'd consider asking other paint shops, specifically one of the Porsche-approved ones about this (not to have them do it necessarily - but don't tell them that - but to see what they have to say about variations of your paint code).
Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

One other question: Is your car the metallic or non-metallic white? On other metallic car's I've had, the "clear" coat sometimes had a subtle tint as part of the look for that car (most dramatically seen in paint colors that are pearled). If the clear coat is tinted, too many or two few clear coats affect the look as well.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

It's just a straight white, no metallic or pearl. This is a very well respected shop, he had about a million dollars worth of cars, including some 993's, 89 speedster, newer turbo, Ferrari's ect. I felt confident when I visited that this was a good shop, and was recommended by my mechanic and this Board.

he said it was a PPG factory code color, but I am positive it was not the body color in any light. Bumper was brand new, he said they used white primer.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

If you have confidence in these guys, then great, hope it works out. The fact he told you “they can re-do it, but said it might not get better” is B S (especially on that type of white) and would have put me off. Painters are a peculiar breed of people, they tend to have more excuses than a pregnant nun!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

This is my first time at this type of repair, so I picked what I thought was the best around. He did have many more excuses than I preferred, lighting, angles, surfaces, paint codes, paint color systems, ect.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

White and black used to be the easiest to match but no more. The high-end shop here told me they are the worst colors to match. Something about flake colors and all sorts of weird stuff in paint now.

Anyway, there are no excuses for poor matching except lack of talent, care, or skill. I am embarrassed to admit it, but I bang up my cars pretty regularly and spent way to much time is body shops.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: paint matching