997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for 997.2 gts owners.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016 | 11:31 AM
db997gts
Advanced

Prices are dropping on the 991.1 gts. Just saw a 2015 white with 7k miles and mt for $103k list price down in ft lauderdale fl. I'm assuming there will be a batch of 2 year lease return cars coming to market shortly.
Old 07-24-2016 | 01:40 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Like many of us enthusiasts, I enjoy checking out different 911's when I have the opportunity, reading about them and contemplating different eras and versions. Have been recently focused on older air cooled versions. However , don't see myself parting with my 997.2 GTS. Regardless of any others that I have a chance to drive , just one ride back in my 997.2 GTS and I feel totally content . In fact, haven't found another version old or new that compels me to part with mine or add another 911 to my garage. IMO It's an individual personal thing whether to change out or add other 911s.
There is uniqueness and special character in all the different models and eras old and new. That's the beauty of these cars. So much variety and evolution in this one model for all tastes and preferences. I am thankful for and thoroughly enjoy the one I own and as an enthusiast enjoy being part of the community able to sample and experience all the variety 911s avail whether through ownership or not. Not many cars offer this much enjoyment overall.
Old 07-25-2016 | 02:00 PM
db997gts
Advanced

I agree. I have loved the 911 ever since I was old enough to know what a car was. My dad had a early 70s green 911 when I was a kid. It took me 40 years before I bought my own, so this car has a deeper meaning to me as well. Not just a rich guy looking for the best toy. That being said, I feel even more drawn toward other Porsche models and years since i have become an owner. My wife thought I would stop obsessing about these cars once I finally bought one. She was wrong.
Old 07-25-2016 | 03:55 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Yeah, most 911 enthusiasts that I know exhibit some level of persistent obsession . The folks that I am acquainted with who are owners, however, definitely do not fall into the " need to have the next best toy category " . (not to say that the 911 doesn't make for a great next best toy! lol). However, they really have an attachment to the 911s that they own and a passion for the overall 911, ethos, if you will . I am an owner and absolutely love my GTS , and still regularly go to 911 / Porsche events, peruse many of the Porsche periodicals, magazines, sites, seeking out more and more insights and information on the 911's. Its really amazing and enjoyable thing.

Back to the origins of this thread a bit regarding trading out a 997.2 GTS ; I am obviously a huge fan of the 997.2 GTS . IMO if anyone is fortunate to own one , I would say to hold onto it and enjoy it unless you absolutely cannot deal with the need to have an alternative experience. If anyone has the opportunity to own a few different versions at a time that is awesome. But I would bet that they would gravitate toward the older GTS as their goto ride.
Old 07-25-2016 | 04:45 PM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

My 997.2 4 GTS is my 1st Porsche. After owning a few different sports cars to include corvettes ('87 z52, 96' LT4, '03 Z06), Supra, SL55..... I LOVE THIS CAR.... I plan to buy another one (GT3) in a couple of years but I am keeping my 4 GTS..... Even more special to me... only year made....
Old 07-25-2016 | 04:51 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Every couple of weeks for the past few months I found myself thinking "geez, I've had my GTS for three years, maybe it's time for something new." Then over the past month I drove a 991.1 S (not a GTS, though), then 991.2 Ss (both rwd and awd versions). I got back in my 6-speed 997.2 GTS, went for a 200-km (distance, not speed) mountain road rip, and decided "nah, I'm keeping this forever." I'm sure the cycle will repeat itself...and one day the outcome may be different.
Originally Posted by GTS1
Yeah, most 911 enthusiasts that I know exhibit some level of persistent obsession . The folks that I am acquainted with who are owners, however, definitely do not fall into the " need to have the next best toy category " . (not to say that the 911 doesn't make for a great next best toy! lol). However, they really have an attachment to the 911s that they own and a passion for the overall 911, ethos, if you will . I am an owner and absolutely love my GTS , and still regularly go to 911 / Porsche events, peruse many of the Porsche periodicals, magazines, sites, seeking out more and more insights and information on the 911's. Its really amazing and enjoyable thing.

Back to the origins of this thread a bit regarding trading out a 997.2 GTS ; I am obviously a huge fan of the 997.2 GTS . IMO if anyone is fortunate to own one , I would say to hold onto it and enjoy it unless you absolutely cannot deal with the need to have an alternative experience. If anyone has the opportunity to own a few different versions at a time that is awesome. But I would bet that they would gravitate toward the older GTS as their goto ride.

The 911 has always been the only car for me. Like many of you guys, I've been obsessing over it since childhood. The 997.2 GTS is a special marker in the ongoing evolution of the 911 Carreras. It fulfills every want and need I have of a modern era 911, yet, it also has plenty of the distinctive old-school 911 personality that drew me to the marque in the first place. As, I believe it was Jay Leno, said, the 911 has always been the right sized car. As big and as small as you really need.

IMO, Porsche has, starting with the 991, set the 911 on a slightly different course. It has grown in capability and sophistication (and size), but it has also wandered somewhat from the thinking that has always made it great. Before the 991, the 911 always seemed happy to be its own thing -- you either got it or you didn't. Now it feels like it wants to be more like everyone else. It definitely has a broader appeal now.

Unless outright speed and having the newest-and-greatest is really important, maybe complementing the GTS with an older 911 would be a better use of resources/energy? Instead of adding a ton of money on top of what the GTS is worth, for something newer, why not try and add an older car, like a 964/993? Surely a 997.2 GTS + a 993 would be more interesting than owning one 991 GTS? It's not even a question for me.

That's what I set out to do not long ago. While my older 911 itch has not yet been scratched, I did follow my own suggestion above, and buy an older car to keep the GTS company. The only other car from the 964/993 era that has always fascinated me, was what I ended up recently adding to my GTS:

Best of luck, OP, whatever you decide.
Old 07-25-2016 | 07:25 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Good point, my dad bought a 1983 black/cashmere 911sc new in '83. Think it was $35k out the door. He owned it for 20 years before trading up to a 996 then 991 then 991.2. I would love to get my hands on a early 80s 911 and modernize it a bit. Better wheels, suspension etc. that would be cool. I'm not much of a diy, so would have to pay retail to restore an older car. That can get scary.
Old 07-26-2016 | 04:50 PM
GTS1
Advanced

997.2 GTS plus either a 930/964/993 would be an awesome combination to own!! I would personally lean toward the older 930/964 era 911's to create and experience greater contrasts between the cars.
Old 07-27-2016 | 12:39 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ten Years
The 911 has always been the only car for me. Like many of you guys, I've been obsessing over it since childhood. The 997.2 GTS is a special marker in the ongoing evolution of the 911 Carreras. It fulfills every want and need I have of a modern era 911, yet, it also has plenty of the distinctive old-school 911 personality that drew me to the marque in the first place. As, I believe it was Jay Leno, said, the 911 has always been the right sized car. As big and as small as you really need.

IMO, Porsche has, starting with the 991, set the 911 on a slightly different course. It has grown in capability and sophistication (and size), but it has also wandered somewhat from the thinking that has always made it great. Before the 991, the 911 always seemed happy to be its own thing -- you either got it or you didn't. Now it feels like it wants to be more like everyone else. It definitely has a broader appeal now.

Unless outright speed and having the newest-and-greatest is really important, maybe complementing the GTS with an older 911 would be a better use of resources/energy? Instead of adding a ton of money on top of what the GTS is worth, for something newer, why not try and add an older car, like a 964/993? Surely a 997.2 GTS + a 993 would be more interesting than owning one 991 GTS? It's not even a question for me.

That's what I set out to do not long ago. While my older 911 itch has not yet been scratched, I did follow my own suggestion above, and buy an older car to keep the GTS company. The only other car from the 964/993 era that has always fascinated me, was what I ended up recently adding to my GTS:

Best of luck, OP, whatever you decide.
Beautiful cars! If I had the funds, NSX would be on that list as well. Another noteworthy one would be a R34 when they become legal in the US. I dream to obtain all the cars I was fascinated with from Gran Turismo video game on Playstation 1.
Old 07-27-2016 | 03:33 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Beautiful cars! If I had the funds, NSX would be on that list as well. Another noteworthy one would be a R34 when they become legal in the US. I dream to obtain all the cars I was fascinated with from Gran Turismo video game on Playstation 1.
Thanks. Hope you get to try one out some day. I'm so glad I went for mine. It's everything I expected and a whole lot more. So robust and tough, yet elegant and so well made. I really got lucky; I wanted the pop-up lights, with the bigger engine, 6-speed, plus all the refinements that came on the NA2. It's nineteen years old this year, but looks brand new. PO really took good care of it. Although values had already been climbing steadily, I feel I got in right before the recent explosion in prices, too. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Question for 997.2 gts owners.