997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Roof Drip or Vandalized - Denver Airport

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016 | 07:53 AM
911Finally
Instructor

I wouldn't do anything to it until the insurance person at the Airport looks at it. Might as well get a fat check first before you do anything. Then do a little experimenting or have a professional do something. You could end up screwing it up to where they say they won't cover the damage now.
Old 07-19-2016 | 08:44 AM
door2416
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benihana242
Great video Beni, "spot on"
Old 07-19-2016 | 11:00 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Finally
I wouldn't do anything to it until the insurance person at the Airport looks at it. Might as well get a fat check first before you do anything. Then do a little experimenting or have a professional do something. You could end up screwing it up to where they say they won't cover the damage now.
Unless his deductible is less than $100, insurance will not be paying anything out on this.
Old 07-19-2016 | 11:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Try Steve's Detailing in the Tech Center. They do a nice job. I was just there on Friday having my car hand washed for the weekend.

FWIW, I've stopped driving my 997 turbo to the Denver Airport. There's so much debris on I-70 that I seem to get a windshield chip or a paint chip every time I drive down there. The last time I did it, a rock hit my hood and it went through the clear bra an into the paint. Grrrr.....
Old 07-19-2016 | 10:55 PM
bergstsm
Racer

If it's really bad, Stuttgart Autobody is where I took my Cayman S for a little TLC. They weren't exactly cheap, but the quality of the work was excellent.

I hope I never have to use them for my C4S, but I highly recommend them.
Old 07-19-2016 | 11:30 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Nice Jordan's. I would have tried to see how much a random orbiter could have buffed off first. I got one from Griott's garage years ago and it has removed some pretty bad looking marks. It's especially good at removing gunk caked onto the paint. Best save was after my wife hugged a painted fence post with a loaner.

Other concern is if this tiny claim ends up on a carfax report. Probably not. But that's a big reason to reserve claims for bigger issues.
Old 07-19-2016 | 11:56 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

A lot of local PCA members recommend Apex Auto Body, I personally never been there. I have great results with Diamond Auto body with the BMW, Mercede, and Acura, don't have any experience with Porsches.
Old 07-20-2016 | 03:36 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Originally Posted by door2416
Great video Beni, "spot on"
Yeah, Larry really knows his stuff!
Old 07-21-2016 | 03:37 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Denver Airport? Looks like bong water to me...
Old 07-22-2016 | 01:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

As others have said, it looks like calcium residue from water dripping from the concrete structure above.

I would NOT attack that with a buffer or any kind of compound. It's hard residue. Go with the soft touch first. It will take longer but the underlying clear coat will thank you for the extra time you took. Aggressive buffing or rubbing will just leave swirls in the clear coat--especially since your car is dark.

Benihana's video was great. There are also products out there that take off water spots, so try one of those or vinegar and with some time and a little work, that should come right off.

A lot of people around here have well water and it's pretty hard. Every once in awhile I, or someone I know, leaves his car out while the sprinklers are on and we'll get terrible water spots when the sun hits the wet car. A little time and care is all it takes to get them off, before they harden.

Also, I wouldn't leave those stains on the paint any longer than I had to. The sooner you address hard water stains, the easier they are to get off.
Old 07-24-2016 | 02:45 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Unless his deductible is less than $100, insurance will not be paying anything out on this.
See below

Originally Posted by 911Finally
I have to file a claim with the City of Denver, actually. No telling whether they will honor the claim or not. I have an appointment with Elevation Auto Spa in Denver next week and I'll post the results. I'm hoping that the city will honor my claim, but if not, at least my car should look good for the foreseeable future since they have to detail the whole car.

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Nice Jordan's. I would have tried to see how much a random orbiter could have buffed off first. I got one from Griott's garage years ago and it has removed some pretty bad looking marks. It's especially good at removing gunk caked onto the paint. Best save was after my wife hugged a painted fence post with a loaner.

Other concern is if this tiny claim ends up on a carfax report. Probably not. But that's a big reason to reserve claims for bigger issues.
I have a lot of Jordans, but those are actually not Jordans. They're retro Air Max Uptempos.

Old 07-25-2016 | 12:38 PM
Para82
Race Car

If it were my 997 I'd talk with both a detailer and a body shop and get a few opinions. First step would most likely be a good detail - then go from there. Chances are it will buff out.

If not that airport might owe you some money!

Quick Reply: 997 Roof Drip or Vandalized - Denver Airport