Sponsored by:

IMS Servicable? 1 tech says no, the other says yes

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:50 PM
mattymatt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IMS Servicable? 1 tech says no, the other says yes

Hello ppeople, I just purchased a 2006 997 C2S Wednesday. I flew to Texas and drove it home to NY in about 30 hours straight minus a couple hours here and there sleep, had every option I wanted and I absolutely LOVE IT. I had a ppi done by a very reputable tech in Houston and he told me not to worry about ims failure for this model year and that to service it would be almost as much to rebuild because a complete breakdown was necessary which I already knew.

When I got home I went to my local ptech who seems very reputable from everything I read and has a pretty big operation going, he told me that he can do preventative maintenance on an 06 and is currently doing one right now on an 06 C4S. He showed me that guy's repair order, even had almost same mileage.Because of this he was able to give me a hard line price. Parts and labor $3500 for IMS with oil feed & RMS, $800 for a new clutch, and $400 for an AIR/Oil Separator.

I do believe I would not have a failure which is why I bought an 06 but I also didn't know this was an option and I'm still questioning if it is which is why I'm posting here. I am a worrier and I do believe I would sleep better knowing that this was done so, I would do it if it could be done.

He said it should take 10+ hours and I'm pretty sure he said he can do it without a complete engine breakdown. He seemed legit but I certainly don't want to be taking advantage of because of my IMS insecurity. lol

Does this guy sound on the level?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:01 AM
jack preston
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it can be done, NO you dont need it.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:03 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by jack preston
yes it can be done, NO you dont need it.
It can be done without complete engine teardown?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattymatt
Hello ppeople, I just purchased a 2006 997 C2S Wednesday. I flew to Texas and drove it home to NY in about 30 hours straight minus a couple hours here and there sleep, had every option I wanted and I absolutely LOVE IT. I had a ppi done by a very reputable tech in Houston and he told me not to worry about ims failure for this model year and that to service it would be almost as much to rebuild because a complete breakdown was necessary which I already knew.

When I got home I went to my local ptech who seems very reputable from everything I read and has a pretty big operation going, he told me that he can do preventative maintenance on an 06 and is currently doing one right now on an 06 C4S. He showed me that guy's repair order, even had almost same mileage.Because of this he was able to give me a hard line price. Parts and labor $3500 for IMS with oil feed & RMS, $800 for a new clutch, and $400 for an AIR/Oil Separator.

I do believe I would not have a failure which is why I bought an 06 but I also didn't know this was an option and I'm still questioning if it is which is why I'm posting here. I am a worrier and I do believe I would sleep better knowing that this was done so, I would do it if it could be done.

He said it should take 10+ hours and I'm pretty sure he said he can do it without a complete engine breakdown. He seemed legit but I certainly don't want to be taking advantage of because of my IMS insecurity. lol

Does this guy sound on the level?
1. If you are a worrier, you should not have bought a 997.1
2. If the car was PPI'd by a reputable tec and the PPI turned out to be OK, there is nothing to worry (for now)

Conclusion, stop worrying, enjoy, and drive the damn thing if there is no tomorrow. The ptech back home seems to like big money and scare people, find a good one (or do it yourself) Good start is to buy this book https://www.amazon.com/Projects-Pors.../dp/0760344035 It has all the basics covered.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bigger IMS. No worries. RMS: why?? Because it might weep? The less my car is touched the better.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:20 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rikky001
1. If you are a worrier, you should not have bought a 997.1
2. If the car was PPI'd by a reputable tec and the PPI turned out to be OK, there is nothing to worry (for now)

Conclusion, stop worrying, enjoy, and drive the damn thing if there is no tomorrow. The ptech back home seems to like big money and scare people, find a good one (or do it yourself) Good start is to buy this book https://www.amazon.com/Projects-Pors.../dp/0760344035 It has all the basics covered.
I will check out the book, thanks. I agree with you about this local tech. Tomorrow I'm going to drive around to a few places to find another local ptech and try to get a consensus as well on the ims.

Anyone know someone good in Nassau County, Long Island?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:25 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Philster
Bigger IMS. No worries. RMS: why?? Because it might weep? The less my car is touched the better.
He said RMS and clutch (felt stiff) cause he's already there and was only charging me for the parts. The tech in Texas was so honest and knowledgeable that I think he would of picked up on the clutch. He had it for 2 days and test drove it 3X...and I believe him.

Thank you for your input
Old 07-16-2016, 12:47 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

That is so strange, to be advised to "monkey around" with the imsb on a 2006.
Imo, including everything I've read online plus my own personal experience owning an 06 c4s, you are good to go. Leave it alone

Perhaps if you're lucky jake Raby will contribute his opinion
Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Leave it alone unless you plan to track the car. Yes, there's a very "barbaric" way to do it without diassembling the engine. Basically remove the IMSB flange and use a big drill bit to drill and enlarge the engine case opening so the big bearing can be extracted (as is the bearing is bigger than the hole hence engine disassembly is required). It's insane if you think about the debris and what can go wrong.

If I had an '06, I won't do that even if you give me $3,500!
Old 07-16-2016, 01:52 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to TKX Performance in Huntington station. Porsche trained and honest. As to the IMS "repair" if it isn't broken it is not in need of repair. Run away from that scenario. Good luck,
Gerry

btw, if /when you do need clutch do search on having IMS seal removed to improve splash lubrication

Last edited by gpjli2; 07-16-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Oil feed the current bearing without replacing it (splash lubrication perhaps)? Maybe this is his path. REPLACE the bearing? I'd be very skeptical for the dollars and hours he's quoting.

Ask him how he is going to REPLACE a larger non-replaceable IMS bearing on a 2006 007 without splitting the crankcase (i.e. engine tear down). Only the engines covered by the IMS bearing class action lawsuit are replaceable without tearing down the engine (early 2005 997's and all 996's). Unless he has invented some new method to REPLACE the bearing I don't believe it.

Ignore the reality of what "can be done" with the bearing for a second. You need to ask yourself the what "should be done" question first. Rear Main Seals (RMS) weep on the 997's. It's not a big deal, minor oil spotting on the floor if any, more likely just dirt accumulating where the engine mates to the transmission. It's not even clear if yours is weeping. If it was I'd only fix it if it was under warranty or if the clutch was bad and needed to be replaced since the labor overlaps almost entirely. Is your clutch bad now, slipping?

I would not under any circumstances drop the transmission or do any of the work related to dropping the transmission on a 2006 unless there was a problem, or if I was stripping the car down and turning it into a dedicated track car. So skip the IMS, RMS, and clutch preventative work. As for the AOS, did he put a manometer on the car and measure the crankcase vacuum? If the vacuum levels are fine then your AOS is fine. No need to replace it unless your engine was pulled and you wanted to do preventative work and save labor at the same time.

If it was me I'd save the $3900 and wait until the clutch goes before doing any of this work. And even then I'd only do the clutch and RMS for about $2200 total.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Leave it alone unless you plan to track the car. Yes, there's a very "barbaric" way to do it without diassembling the engine. Basically remove the IMSB flange and use a big drill bit to drill and enlarge the engine case opening so the big bearing can be extracted (as is the bearing is bigger than the hole hence engine disassembly is required). It's insane if you think about the debris and what can go wrong.

If I had an '06, I won't do that even if you give me $3,500!

Yikes! 'Nuff said right here.

Last edited by mattymatt; 07-16-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Take it to TKX Performance in Huntington station. Porsche trained and honest. As to the IMS "repair" if it isn't broken it is not in need of repair. Run away from that scenario. Good luck,
Gerry

btw, if /when you do need clutch do search on having IMS seal removed to improve splash lubrication
I'll be going there today, thank you. I would love to tell him I was recommended from a friend, do you mind if I name drop?
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM
mattymatt
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by semicycler
Oil feed the current bearing without replacing it (splash lubrication perhaps)? Maybe this is his path. REPLACE the bearing? I'd be very skeptical for the dollars and hours he's quoting.

Ask him how he is going to REPLACE a larger non-replaceable IMS bearing on a 2006 007 without splitting the crankcase (i.e. engine tear down). Only the engines covered by the IMS bearing class action lawsuit are replaceable without tearing down the engine (early 2005 997's and all 996's). Unless he has invented some new method to REPLACE the bearing I don't believe it.

Ignore the reality of what "can be done" with the bearing for a second. You need to ask yourself the what "should be done" question first. Rear Main Seals (RMS) weep on the 997's. It's not a big deal, minor oil spotting on the floor if any, more likely just dirt accumulating where the engine mates to the transmission. It's not even clear if yours is weeping. If it was I'd only fix it if it was under warranty or if the clutch was bad and needed to be replaced since the labor overlaps almost entirely. Is your clutch bad now, slipping?

I would not under any circumstances drop the transmission or do any of the work related to dropping the transmission on a 2006 unless there was a problem, or if I was stripping the car down and turning it into a dedicated track car. So skip the IMS, RMS, and clutch preventative work. As for the AOS, did he put a manometer on the car and measure the crankcase vacuum? If the vacuum levels are fine then your AOS is fine. No need to replace it unless your engine was pulled and you wanted to do preventative work and save labor at the same time.

If it was me I'd save the $3900 and wait until the clutch goes before doing any of this work. And even then I'd only do the clutch and RMS for about $2200 total.
I really appreciate your input. This entire thread has put me at ease for sure...Thank you everyone
Old 07-16-2016, 12:40 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattymatt
I'll be going there today, thank you. I would love to tell him I was recommended from a friend, do you mind if I name drop?
OK I think I paid my last bill

Quick Reply: IMS Servicable? 1 tech says no, the other says yes