Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Flow Headers - 200 cell cats in a GTS: Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
recently switched out my GTS' X51 headers with the Fabspeed headers and 200 cell cats. The new headers/cats seamed significantly lighter than the stock X51 set up. I didn't notice much of a power increase, but the it sounds waaaayyy better, IMO
Is this before/after assessment with or without the factory center muffler still on the car? Just asking since you also get waaayyy better sound by ditching the center muffler in favor of various versions of x-pipes.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:01 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Is this before/after assessment with or without the factory center muffler still on the car? Just asking since you also get waaayyy better sound by ditching the center muffler in favor of various versions of x-pipes.
First exhaust mod I did was ditch the center muffler for the Fabspeed x-pipe. That helped the sound a bit with PSE open. PSE closed, sounded about the same as having the stock center muffler. Adding the headers/cat made the car sound "tougher". with PSE closed, but muffled at 1/2 throttle and above. PSE open, "tough" sounding at idle, but "mean" sounding at 1/2 and above throttle, yet not annoying. I've been around a lot of vintage Porsche race cars, and the header/cat/x-pipe combo sounds a little like a Porsche race car, minus the ear piercing loud decibels. As the owner of Fabspeed said on another thread, "best sounding street combo for a 997 GTS is: PSE open, stock side mufflers, Fabspeed headers/cats/x-pipe". I followed his advice, and am completely happy. 😊
The following users liked this post:
Markryan (08-18-2020)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recently switched out my GTS' X51 headers with the Fabspeed headers and 200 cell cats. The new headers/cats seamed significantly lighter than the stock X51 set up. I didn't notice much of a power increase, but the it sounds waaaayyy better, IMO
Your sig states you're in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. How'd you pass smog here with headers and 200 cel cats? I thought those things won't pass?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:48 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheLex
Your sig states you're in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. How'd you pass smog here with headers and 200 cel cats? I thought those things won't pass?
Haven't crossed that bridge yet, but I'm keeping all my stock exhaust just in case I have to swap headers every 2 years to pass. It doesn't throw a cell, so If I pass visual, I'm good to go. Headers are pretty buried underneath our cars. Really depends on how well a smog station knows Porsches 😉
Old 01-14-2018, 02:22 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't crossed that bridge yet, but I'm keeping all my stock exhaust just in case I have to swap headers every 2 years to pass. It doesn't throw a cell, so If I pass visual, I'm good to go. Headers are pretty buried underneath our cars. Really depends on how well a smog station knows Porsches 😉
Well I doubt any smog station knows the difference between a "plain" 997.2 and a 997.2 GTS. As long as you drive it a while and let the exhaust system develop some patina, I bet they can't tell the difference.
My worry was that the 200 cell cat would put out more pollutants, and the smog station would detect that.

Please keep us posted. I bet a number of rennlisters here in Kalifornia are very interested!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheLex
Well I doubt any smog station knows the difference between a "plain" 997.2 and a 997.2 GTS. As long as you drive it a while and let the exhaust system develop some patina, I bet they can't tell the difference.
My worry was that the 200 cell cat would put out more pollutants, and the smog station would detect that.

Please keep us posted. I bet a number of rennlisters here in Kalifornia are very interested!
California smog stations don't use sniffers in the tailpipe anymore. They plug into your OBD 2 port and just make sure you don't have any codes stored in the computer related to emissions. So basically if your car has never had a check engine light come on due to some sort of change you made in the exhaust system or ECU you should be good to go
Old 07-13-2021, 12:57 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Would LOVE video if you have it to post up.
Bump for a sound clip of .2 with 200 cell cats.
The following users liked this post:
maekwl (07-13-2021)

Quick Reply: High Flow Headers - 200 cell cats in a GTS: Yes or No?