Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

looks good, did this come with the black rubber lip (like the GT3) or the aerokit lip that is supposed to be colormatched?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
looks good, did this come with the black rubber lip (like the GT3) or the aerokit lip that is supposed to be colormatched?
Yeah, it came with the primed lip. I replaced it with this one, wanted to black plastic look. Also feel less bad about scraping it.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

any noticable rear end "lift" at speed. not having the rear wing? This is my biggest hang up, but I am leaning towards doing it without the rear wing and when I hit the track, I might just take off the rubber lower lip to lesson the front biased downforce. I also wonder if I ran a 3rd radiator and didn't have the solid plastic black center piece in, if that would take out enough downforce to compensate for my stock one (that center piece is a fairly big area).
Old 10-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

any noticable rear end "lift" at speed. not having the rear wing? This is my biggest hang up, but I am leaning towards doing it without the rear wing and when I hit the track, I might just take off the rubber lower lip to lesson the front biased downforce. I also wonder if I ran a 3rd radiator and didn't have the solid plastic black center piece in, if that would take out enough downforce to compensate for my stock one (that center piece is a fairly big area).
The front does feel a tiny bit more grounded around 60-70. Didn't notice anything from the rear though. I'd imagine you'd have to be going 110+. For the track, I think I'd try to pick up a gt3 wing/deck then add that for track use only. And remove afterwards.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:55 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Ferrell
The front does feel a tiny bit more grounded around 60-70. Didn't notice anything from the rear though. I'd imagine you'd have to be going 110+. For the track, I think I'd try to pick up a gt3 wing/deck then add that for track use only. And remove afterwards.
I have no idea how hard it is to install and take off the rear wing/deck, but I only go on very very few occasions, so it isn't like something I am really into and competitive at. Meaning I don't need a bunch of extra downforce to improve my lap times. I just dont want too much unbalance where the front has too much downforce and rear not enough.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

I have no idea how hard it is to install and take off the rear wing/deck, but I only go on very very few occasions, so it isn't like something I am really into and competitive at. Meaning I don't need a bunch of extra downforce to improve my lap times. I just dont want too much unbalance where the front has too much downforce and rear not enough.
The removal part would be fairly simple. A functional rear diffuser would be the way to go though. Similar to what the 911R has. Super simple design, not really that visible, but functional around those speeds.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

The removal part would be fairly simple. A functional rear diffuser would be the way to go though. Similar to what the 911R has. Super simple design, not really that visible, but functional around those speeds.
Ya, I have already done a lot of research and the couple that actually work are $3-4k
Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Ya, I have already done a lot of research and the couple that actually work are $3-4k
You could always see if you could get the one from the R to work/fit

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGT3DIFF.html
Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Dang, good find. Seems like any item with a few holes can be adapted to a slightly different application. I know it isn't exact, but the GT3/911R front bumper on the 991 appears very similar to the 997.1, assuming that they might put down similar downforce, this R diffuser could actually work. Wonder if anyone has tried this yet?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 AM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Dang, good find. Seems like any item with a few holes can be adapted to a slightly different application. I know it isn't exact, but the GT3/911R front bumper on the 991 appears very similar to the 997.1, assuming that they might put down similar downforce, this R diffuser could actually work. Wonder if anyone has tried this yet?
Yeah, that'd be interesting to try. Doubt anyone has yet, since the R is so new. It looks like the muffler also adds the last bit of aero too, to the diffuser. So it would probably have to be placed slightly differently on the 997, little closer to the rear bumper, since the muffler isn't a flat surface in that area.

It looks like that main piece comes from the gt3rs, and is used to protect the engine. Then they just added some plastic to it for the aero and extended it slightly. Another option would be to use this: http://suncoastparts.com/product/99610798100.html, same part but for the 997, then extend that and add similar aero. Or just adapt the R diffuser to utilize the holes the 997 is using.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Ya, if you had both of those pieces it would seem to be pretty easy to match them up together. Seems like a good project for a some in the business that makes aero parts.

Yeah, that'd be interesting to try. Doubt anyone has yet, since the R is so new. It looks like the muffler also adds the last bit of aero too, to the diffuser. So it would probably have to be placed slightly differently on the 997, little closer to the rear bumper, since the muffler isn't a flat surface in that area.

It looks like that main piece comes from the gt3rs, and is used to protect the engine. Then they just added some plastic to it for the aero and extended it slightly. Another option would be to use this: http://suncoastparts.com/product/99610798100.html, same part but for the 997, then extend that and add similar aero. Or just adapt the R diffuser to utilize the holes the 997 is using.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Doing a quick search. Look what can be found in eBay.
I am sure it isn't exact same as the R but is it close enough? Or could it be modified to the same measurements? I guess the only way to do it would be to somehow measure the R but they aren't running around on every block.

Another possible way would be to get someone with a GT3 RS to measure the plate. They seem to have the same base plate but not the fins. That could provide some really good info to start. Maybe I'll head over to that part of the forum and ask.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Doing a quick search. Look what can be found in eBay.
I am sure it isn't exact same as the R but is it close enough? Or could it be modified to the same measurements? I guess the only way to do it would be to somehow measure the R but they aren't running around on every block.

Another possible way would be to get someone with a GT3 RS to measure the plate. They seem to have the same base plate but not the fins. That could provide some really good info to start. Maybe I'll head over to that part of the forum and ask.
Yeah, asked Suncoast. Got the following response:

"We ship the rear diffuser in a 36 x 3 x 40 inch box that will weight around 17 pounds."

I think the one from Suncoast could be modified fairly easily. There are 3 holes that could be used around the oil pan (used by that engine guard) and 4 others used by the (champion diffuser).

Quick Reply: 997.1 with aero front only