Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Nav. map update - confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone pay $200 for a nav update...just doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
upier,

Mine arrived yesterday and I did exactly the same thing .... When I saw the package labeled "04.2015", I called Suncoast with a bit of a salty attitude because I specifically confirmed with them when I ordered it that this package was the LATEST set of maps from Porsche. When I spoke to them yesterday, they confirmed that the code we paid for will pull the last maps from the system, not from the discs that they sent us.

I have my appointment at the Stealership booked for the 13th, and they told me it should be ~1 hour install (@$189/hour). Just have to suck it up and be happy that this is my first nav update since 2010!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Why would anyone pay $200 for a nav update...just doesn't make any sense.
Over the past 6 years here in the States, Comrade Obama has poured a HUGE amount of money into roads/interstate/interchange updates and rebuilds, so my 2010 maps are pretty badly out of date. Since I like to offer my Dad my car when my parents visit (he's a fellow car-nut, having owned Ferraris/BMW's and now a Jag - he is 75 after all!), I'm more comfortable having the latest nav update as he tools around in my car .....
Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dropped off my 997.2 at dealer for Map update. They quoted me $159. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. They said that it would take several hours since it has to download 4 files which take 45 min each. I guess they are still using AOL dialup service.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

Over the past 6 years here in the States, Comrade Obama has poured a HUGE amount of money into roads/interstate/interchange updates and rebuilds, so my 2010 maps are pretty badly out of date.
+1

The POI options are updated in the new map discs also. If you search for POIs with the nav system, the new discs are an improvement.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by upier
Just dropped off my 997.2 at dealer for Map update. They quoted me $159. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. They said that it would take several hours since it has to download 4 files which take 45 min each. I guess they are still using AOL dialup service.
Upier,

How did the new map installation go? I am taking my 2010 C4S into the Stealership on Tuesday afternoon and I'm wondering how long it took and did you have any problems post-install? I'm currently on the PCM software version 1.47 and I'm also wondering if they need to upgrade that as well as part of the new maps package...
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 AM
upier
Racer

Upier,

How did the new map installation go? I am taking my 2010 C4S into the Stealership on Tuesday afternoon and I'm wondering how long it took and did you have any problems post-install? I'm currently on the PCM software version 1.47 and I'm also wondering if they need to upgrade that as well as part of the new maps package...
I dropped it off at 0730 and got a call that it was ready at 3pm. They told me they had four files to download and install. I belive that it includes updating your car to the latest PCM revision. Looks good. Seems to have more detail. Haven't had a chance to play work it yet.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:29 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Seems to me that for the price of an upgrade, $250-300 you could just buy an iPad mini or and even smaller tablet and run google maps or the VERY excellent app WAZE. Plus you have the whole functionality of the tablet to do a million other things. The PCM maps look like old school hieroglyphics compare to a free app. Of course all these on your phone as well but a much smaller screen.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:59 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Seems to me that for the price of an upgrade, $250-300 you could just buy an iPad mini or and even smaller tablet and run google maps or the VERY excellent app WAZE. Plus you have the whole functionality of the tablet to do a million other things. The PCM maps look like old school hieroglyphics compare to a free app. Of course all these on your phone as well but a much smaller screen.
I wasn't interested in mounting another device in the car. Like the clean look of the factory setup. Next up for me will be a new radio with all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
I wasn't interested in mounting another device in the car. Like the clean look of the factory setup.
+1

Also, the few times that I used Waze, I found it to be horrible. It doesn't do a good job of finding the most efficient route, and it doesn't work if you're out of cellular coverage areas (important if you drive in the mountains, like I do).
Old 07-22-2016, 11:11 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Default Successful Map Update...

So The Porsche Exchange in Highlnd Park successfully installed my Suncoast-pursched Nav update . They said it was a pain to install, and they told me that they had to go back and forth between the PCM software versions a few times to finally load everything, but I picked it up yesterday and it looks great. The overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well.

The guys at The Porsche Exchange were great to to work with. Despite the hassles and multi-hour install that they encountered in what really should have a been a strightforward 1-hour installation, they only charged me the quoted price of $189 All in, I'm happy to get it done, particulalry because my parents come in town next week and I'll be giving my Dad my car for the next 2 weeks and I can be assured that he won't get lost
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM
911Finally
Instructor

So The Porsche Exchange in Highlnd Park successfully installed my Suncoast-pursched Nav update . They said it was a pain to install, and they told me that they had to go back and forth between the PCM software versions a few times to finally load everything, but I picked it up yesterday and it looks great. The overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well.

The guys at The Porsche Exchange were great to to work with. Despite the hassles and multi-hour install that they encountered in what really should have a been a strightforward 1-hour installation, they only charged me the quoted price of $189 All in, I'm happy to get it done, particulalry because my parents come in town next week and I'll be giving my Dad my car for the next 2 weeks and I can be assured that he won't get lost
Did that include the update discs as well? From what I understand they don't install just software/firmware from their own discs, but you have to buy them first?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Did that include the update discs as well? From what I understand they don't install just software/firmware from their own discs, but you have to buy them first?
The $189 was just the installation cost - I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for (I think) $265-ish. That package has the discs as well as a unique code that the Dealership uses to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. I can also confirm that my firmware version is now 2.24 after the install (versus 1.47 previously).

Last edited by North Shore 911; 06-29-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 PM
911Finally
Instructor

The $189 was just the installation cost - I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for (I think) $265-ish. That package has the discs as well as a unique code that the Dealership uses to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. I can also confirm that my firmware version is now 2.47 after the install (versus 2.47 previously).
Damn, that's expensive. Can discs be used for more than one installation or are they one use? Wondering if they can be borrowed and cost shared. For $450+ I would have to consider just using an app on my phone which are updated automatically.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:45 PM
upier
Racer

So I have been using the updated maps for a couple of weeks now. There is more detail on the new maps including new roars. Biggest difference I've seen is that the initial estimated time for my typical 220 mile trip is now much more accurate. It used to start by estimating the trip about an hour longer than it has ever taken. Now the estimate is spot on. I have to hustle to get there in that time.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM
too tall
Instructor

Thanks for the update upier.

Quick Reply: 2007 Nav. map update - confusion