Sponsored by:

Cost of insurance - pleasant surprise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
It's not the cost of coverage in itself, but the cost relative to the other vehicles I insure that surprised me given the difference in values of the cars. My only hypothesis is that the insurance company must factor some sort of "care" variable that they perceive P car owners have for their vehicles equating to a lower risk(?)
I was surprised as well.

The overall insurance cost for my '09 4S is lower than than for our '13 Pathfinder. The primary difference was in the liability cost, collision and comp we slightly more for the 4S.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 AM
NeverIn6th
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, in NJ, cost of 996TT full coverage is marginally cheaper than equiv year M3 or 7-series.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a question.

Anyone here get a speeding ticket with points added and see an increase in insurance premiums?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2006 997 = $244.75 six months
2013 981 = $207.75 six months

My 997 cost more than my Boxster S, I have two other cars and my house on the same policy so I get a discount for multi-policies. I pay a total of $798 six months for all 4 cars. So insurance is cheap and not really a concern for me.

Originally Posted by Para82
Here's a question.

Anyone here get a speeding ticket with points added and see an increase in insurance premiums?
Didn't get a ticket for speeding but got one turning on a red light, which was bogus, should had fought it. I was in the middle of the lane waiting to turn left. Two cars ran the red light so I had to wait for them to go before I can turn left. I could not reverse as there was a car behind me. As soon as I turned, the cop stopped me. I tried to argue my point, but he didn't want to hear it. That was my first ticket, I asked if it'll raise my insurance premiums, he said it shouldn't with one ticket. A month later, my premium nearly doubled. So I would assume it's the same for speeding tickets.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My 997 cost more than my Boxster S, I have two other cars and my house on the same policy so I get a discount for multi-policies. I pay a total of $798 six months for all 4 cars. So insurance is cheap and not really a concern for me.
My guess is that you live somewhere that's not in a major city with those rates. Lucky you! I think I pay 3X your rates and this is with zero points on my record

Didn't get a ticket for speeding but got one turning on a red light, which was bogus, should had fought it. I was in the middle of the lane waiting to turn left. Two cars ran the red light so I had to wait for them to go before I can turn left. I could not reverse as there was a car behind me. As soon as I turned, the cop stopped me.
I got a red-light camera ticket in Beverly Hills two years ago, for doing a rolling right on red (without coming to a full stop). No traffic around to be seen... I tried to fight it, but lost. $300 legal fees on top of an $800 fine. That stung..
Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ynot

Didn't get a ticket for speeding but got one turning on a red light, which was bogus, should had fought it. I was in the middle of the lane waiting to turn left. Two cars ran the red light so I had to wait for them to go before I can turn left. I could not reverse as there was a car behind me. As soon as I turned, the cop stopped me. I tried to argue my point, but he didn't want to hear it. That was my first ticket, I asked if it'll raise my insurance premiums, he said it shouldn't with one ticket. A month later, my premium nearly doubled. So I would assume it's the same for speeding tickets.
That's odd your premium went up so quickly. Insurance companies have to pull your MVR to get an updated record and that is costly. My understanding is they tend to pull these records more often for drivers between the ages of 18-29. For older drivers they tend to pull the record at renewal or policy change. Did you tell your insurance provider about the ticket?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Para82
Race Car

I got a red-light camera ticket in Beverly Hills two years ago, for doing a rolling right on red (without coming to a full stop). No traffic around to be seen... I tried to fight it, but lost. $300 legal fees on top of an $800 fine. That stung..
That is an absurd amount of money for rolling a red. Just to give some perspective this is a similar fine you would pay if you were caught doing over 90 mph in Virginia (the strictest in the nation on speeding).
Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is an absurd amount of money for rolling a red. Just to give some perspective this is a similar fine you would pay if you were caught doing over 90 mph in Virginia (the strictest in the nation on speeding).
Pretty sure you'd be going to jail at 90mph in VA regardless of the posted limit:

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

My guess is that you live somewhere that's not in a major city with those rates. Lucky you! I think I pay 3X your rates and this is with zero points on my record
Yes, Denver Colorado is still very low compared to NY and or LA. I'm always blown away by how much you guys get robbed for insurance, gas, housing, service, etc.

That's odd your premium went up so quickly. Insurance companies have to pull your MVR to get an updated record and that is costly. My understanding is they tend to pull these records more often for drivers between the ages of 18-29. For older drivers they tend to pull the record at renewal or policy change. Did you tell your insurance provider about the ticket?
A combination of both, was in my 20's and up for a renewal.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by motopix
Pretty sure you'd be going to jail at 90mph in VA regardless of the posted limit:

Virginia Code 46.2-862: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
I got caught doing well over 100 mph in Fairfax County, Virginia and was sentenced to 3 months in jail and a $1,200 fine. Very aware
Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix

The state troopers in VA and MD are annoying. My first year in MD, I didn't get the plate renewal paperwork from CO so I inadvertently drove with expired tags for a couple months. I found out when a state trooper stopped me -- of course, he followed me through town and didn't stop me until I'd left the town border on a state highway so the fine went from $50 (in town) to $300.

A few years later, a state trooper stopped me on I-95 outside Richmond for doing 12 over the limit and then wrote me up for defective equipment. The defective equipment? One headlight had burned out while I was driving up from FL to get back to work the next morning (yeah, you try getting a replacement lightbulb at 10:30 PM Sunday night). Of course he knew I wasn't going to drive back down from DC to contest the defective equipment ticket.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Agreed value policies are great for total loss but how do these companies (Haggerty, Grundy, others) behave with less than total loss repairs? And... do they drop the customer after that?
From what I have read on FChat Ferrari board, Haggarty and Grundy treat their customers great when there were claims. I havent heard a bad story, but they could be out there. The fine print will get ya, read the policy, take it to the shop of your choosing and demand new factory parts.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:54 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
The state troopers in VA and MD are annoying. My first year in MD, I didn't get the plate renewal paperwork from CO so I inadvertently drove with expired tags for a couple months. I found out when a state trooper stopped me -- of course, he followed me through town and didn't stop me until I'd left the town border on a state highway so the fine went from $50 (in town) to $300.

A few years later, a state trooper stopped me on I-95 outside Richmond for doing 12 over the limit and then wrote me up for defective equipment. The defective equipment? One headlight had burned out while I was driving up from FL to get back to work the next morning (yeah, you try getting a replacement lightbulb at 10:30 PM Sunday night). Of course he knew I wasn't going to drive back down from DC to contest the defective equipment ticket.
Disgusting.

I had a state trooper pull me over in Fairfax county when I was in town briefly on business. I was doing 68 mph on the highway along with everyone else. He had just merged on the highway from pulling someone else over, I got well over to the left lane so he had plenty of room (i'm a very considerate driver). Anyway traffic is flowing nicely in between 65mph and 70mph and he's moving right along with us all lanes have cars side by side and i'm on the police officer's left side. He all of a sudden drops down to about 60mph pulls left behind my 911 and lights me up. I'm in utter shock. I explained that I was in town briefly and would be in Baghdad in less than 2 weeks so I would not be able to contest this in person. He said tough. I had legal insurance with the defense contractor and they tore him a new one at court - ticket dismissed entirely. He knew I was deploying shortly would not be able to defend myself and wrote me up anyway. Judge obviously didn't like that. Scum.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:21 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

^^^

Wow
Old 06-25-2016, 01:23 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Just received pics of my purchase being loaded on a truck in Louisville to be delivered to me next week, so I figured it was time to "face the music" and call my friendly Amica agent to add the car

Surprisingly, even though they list a value of $81K for mileage and condition, the premium was shockingly low - $500/yr more than a 2000 BMW it is replacing and about $100/year lower than the new GTI I bought my wife last year.

What deductible?

Quick Reply: Cost of insurance - pleasant surprise