Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts
Default 997 CarPlay and Audio Upgrade by Musicar Northwest

This past week we started a project in a 2005 997.1 C2S Coupe. The car came with PCM2.1 mated to the Sound Package Plus audio system. Naturally the convenience of bluetooth and simple iPhone connectivity were missing, and the audio sounded downright awful.

The Car

Project Goals
  • Maintain an OEM Look & Feel
  • Integrate Apple CarPlay
  • HDMI Input for iPhone Video
  • Convenient Docking System for iPhone 6S
  • "Performance" Level of Sound Quality
  • Ability to Easily Revert to Factory (No Major Modification)

There's a good amount of work that goes into a system like this. To maintain the original integrity of the car we'll have to build custom adapters for all of the speakers/amplifier, use as many original pieces of hardware as possible, and limit modifications to easily-replaceable parts.

Cosmetic integration is also very important. We want the end result to feel like a factory upgrade rather than an aftermarket retrofit. There's a lot of thought that goes into the design to make that happen.

Equipment List
  • Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Touchscreen Multimedia Receiver
  • JL Audio XD 700/5 5-Channel Power Amplifier
  • Morel of Israel Virtus 603 3-Way Component Speakers (Front Stage)
  • Morel of Israel Tempo Ultra Integra 4" Point Source Speakers (Rears)
  • (2x) JL Audio 6W3v3 6" Subwoofers

The system is set up to be "active-passive" on the front stage with rears off the deck, so our power distribution looks like this:

Amplifier Channels 1 + 2 : Front Tweeters and Midrange (via passive crossover)
Amplifier Channels 3 + 4 : Front Door Woofers
Amplifier Channel 5 : Subwoofers
Front Head Unit Channels : Low Level Signal to Amplifier
Rear Head Unit Channels : High-Level Signal Direct Power to Rear Speakers

I'll be posting up each section separately to illustrate the process and explain the detail that goes into the work. For now, here are some photos of the equipment:

Stay tuned for the progress! This is going to be a fun one.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

subscribed
Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed too...But why not a 6 channel amp in order to keep the dashboard center speaker? I'm so close to start a project like that, but also integrating rear/ front camera with parking/ curb sensors, and rear mirror with 4 inch display (plus auto-dimm, HomeLink, Temperature, compass).
Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering similar upgrade. I'll be interested to see how it goes. Can you share the costs?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:20 AM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdiamond001
Considering similar upgrade. I'll be interested to see how it goes. Can you share the costs?
Ditto
Old 06-16-2016, 12:33 PM
bonanzapilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio GPS upgrade

After a recent trip to Germany, and Porsche factory tour..plus the help of my Munich friends, I was directed to ICARTECH, of Berlin. This firm does most of the updating work in Germany. I purchased an S730 smart radio, with a complete installation kit to mate with my Bose system. This system is what most of the 2017s will feature. Your wireless phone keeps you on the internet, for all services,(you can connect to wireless direct, and install an app to find it) and every app you normally use on the phone... its also on the dashboard. A great feature is the Torque app, after you insert an OBD2 Bluetooth sender into your onboard computer port, you can do many things, in addition to seeing, and clearing error codes. Very new, so few installers know the installation tips, the main one is that Airpin app is needed to interface between your phone, the internet, and the S730. I installed a back up camera.. and love that! I have a spare, with wireless sender/receiver if anyone needs it. $75.00. The whole kit to install, Porsche bezel trim, and labor (I can't count mine, but add several hours to make the system work) were about $1500.00
Old 06-16-2016, 01:50 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
Subscribed too...But why not a 6 channel amp in order to keep the dashboard center speaker?
A center channel is useless without an up-mixer to steer the right signal to it. Otherwise you're just playing a mixed-mono signal and it sounds like garbage.

Originally Posted by bdiamond001
Originally Posted by VanSant62
Ditto
Happy to share that when the project is done, just PM me for the info.

Originally Posted by bonanzapilot
I purchased an S730 smart radio, with a complete installation kit to mate with my Bose system. This system is what most of the 2017s will feature.
Looks like your standard cheapo Chinese head unit. This is a far cry from anything Porsche would offer.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:56 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
A center channel is useless without an up-mixer to steer the right signal to it. Otherwise you're just playing a mixed-mono signal and it sounds like garbage.
Also, if the driver is the only listener who cares about sound quality, you're much better off with a good 2-channel front stage. The center is about as helpful as a third nipple.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The first step is integrating the new Pioneer CarPlay system. Since we wont be retaining the factory amplifier, we'll be running dedicated signal cabling to the JL Audio amplifier that will eventually mount under the passenger seat. Since the rear speakers will run directly off the internal amp in the new head unit, we'll run dedicated wiring through the car to the new Morel coaxials.

Here are some photos of the old PCM2.1 and the new Pioneer unit in the factory-matched bezel. We also added a custom Porsche splash screen to make the system look more OEM.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There's a good amount of connectivity available once we swap to the new system. We have dual USB, Auxiliary, and even HDMI inputs. The client wanted to be able to access all of these features conveniently, so we had to design a system that included those ports but kept an OEM appearance. The ash tray in the console proved to be a great spot for that.

Step One: Machine wiring pass-through in base of ash-tray insert

Step Two: Fabricate template for cables and ash tray opening

Step Three: Machine final part from cast-acrylic. This is much more durable and reliable than any wood or abs plastic part.

Step Four: Paint to match and mount plugs

Step Five(Final): Install new module and route wiring with factory console wires

Next up on the punch list is the custom iPhone CarPlay dock....
Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

looks awesome

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 PM
acf
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

wow the ash tray integration is really nice. Have you considered removing the "pioneer" name emblem and model # off the top of the unit?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:58 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the ashtray mod as well. Very clean OEM like
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

goddamn mint.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:34 PM
nk215