Sponsored by:

Brown tar like deposits and debris in coolant cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brown tar like deposits and debris in coolant cap

Added distilled water to system last night in prep for bringing car to tech due to coolant leak at 10 years, 43K miles. Inside cap and upper neck of filler tube I found black tarlike film in and some granular black deposits like mud mixed w thick sand inside cap itself.

If this is related to pump/impeller decay one might be able to monitor it for signs of impending pump failure.

Note I had been driving car for a while with a slight metallic ringing noise that I was assured by last tech (I have moved on) was a pulley. While the leak ultimately gave me warning I feel that the mess in the cap says I waited too long on this. I hope there are no complications in there when they get it open
Old 06-07-2016, 01:08 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts

Not good. I would not be driving that car with those deposits and gunk clearly visible. Could be bad head gasket. Notice any white smoke in the exhaust or sweet smell?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DC911S
Not good. I would not be driving that car with those deposits and gunk clearly visible. Could be bad head gasket. Notice any white smoke in the exhaust or sweet smell?
Car running as good as ever. Laid it up for 1 1/2 weeks. Did not notice stuff in cap til last night. Drove to shop about 20 mins. Wondering whether to have them flush the system out. Oil change. Check oil filter goes w/o saying.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:44 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

neone know if system has to be pressurized for complete flush. I know drain only gets a few gals out.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

that is definitely not normal. wonder if its had an intermix issue.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
that is definitely not normal. wonder if its had an intermix issue.
Suggestions for dx? No >smoke, no >oil consumption, no lights, oil and water (ha) temps normal, No overage in oil, coolant loss consistent w leak (added a gal of h2o last night), running strong

intermix= aos or worse?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolant reservoir is not sealed. You may get a bunch of those at the bottom of your expansion tank also. Change the coolant and keep an eye on it. Nothing to worry about when you already know that there’s no oil in your coolant and no coolant in your oil.

You mentioned a pulley going bad, you need to track that down. No point risking getting stranded somewhere by delaying the cost.

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

The head gasket on these cars going bad is very very very rare. For one I would def do a coolant flush with a Airlift tool (pressurized) and go from there. You could also have a water hose telling you that its about to go South. Think about all the passage ways inside the motor that coolant flows. With the grit / sludge you are describing....that alone could potentially clog some passages leading to a hot spot which leads to a cracked head.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nk215
Coolant reservoir is not sealed. You may get a bunch of those at the bottom of your expansion tank also. Change the coolant and keep an eye on it. Nothing to worry about when you already know that there’s no oil in your coolant and no coolant in your oil.

You mentioned a pulley going bad, you need to track that down. No point risking getting stranded somewhere by delaying the cost.
No. Replacing pump, thermostat, belt, checking all pulleys, etc. Note when I say replacing...I mean 'spending' No talent here other than in driving
Old 06-07-2016, 02:29 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
The head gasket on these cars going bad is very very very rare. For one I would def do a coolant flush with a Airlift tool (pressurized) and go from there. You could also have a water hose telling you that its about to go South. Think about all the passage ways inside the motor that coolant flows. With the grit / sludge you are describing....that alone could potentially clog some passages leading to a hot spot which leads to a cracked head.
Yes I have already suggested to tech that he do a complete flush and check in oil filter very carefully. Anything I don't need more of in my life right now is more drama.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:40 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I'm thinking (ok hoping) that the condition of the coolant, impeller and hoses will be telling. Interesting in my post last week, 'metal or plastic', a member, (don't recall off top of my head) suggested metal impeller does not deteriorate in coolant over time while plastic one does. I went w plastic. Maybe he was onto something.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't this the rubber/linings/material of a hose????

Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I'm thinking (ok hoping) that the condition of the coolant, impeller and hoses will be telling. Interesting in my post last week, 'metal or plastic', a member, (don't recall off top of my head) suggested metal impeller does not deteriorate in coolant over time while plastic one does. I went w plastic. Maybe he was onto something.
It's the bearings that go on the WP. Then the impeller rubs on the engine housing. The metal impeller will leave metal in the engine which is not good....the plastic impeller only plastic which is not good either, but not catastrophic like metal.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Philster
Isn't this the rubber/linings/material of a hose????

Hope that or something easy is the answer. Can't see intermix issue w no other signs but (emoticon for worried?)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
It's the bearings that go on the WP. Then the impeller rubs on the engine housing. The metal impeller will leave metal in the engine which is not good....the plastic impeller only plastic which is not good either, but not catastrophic like metal.
Yes that's the popular opinion. Makes sense too

Quick Reply: Brown tar like deposits and debris in coolant cap